A129 Pro Duo - More help needed please!

SWoMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since receiving my replacement camera I've been wrestling with trying to get it to work reliably - and failing! At the moment it seems to work correctly for less than 50% of the time. The rest of the time nothing is captured...

It is wired with a HK3 supply with the Accessory supply set to cutoff below 12.4V but that is irrelevant as I discovered today that Parking Mode was turned off (not by me unless Off is the default).

The symptoms when it is not working properly are:
1) Camera doesnt always turn on when vehicle is started.
2) When it does turn on, it quite often power cycles again within a few seconds or sometimes minutes. It can do this up to 5 or more times...
3) It does this whether the power connector is into the GPS mount or into the side of the camera.
4) Sometimes it will turn on and display an image, but this doesnt change when vehicle starts moving. Image stays on screen until the next time the camera power is cycled off and on again. Nothing is recorded. Will sometimes do this repeatedly...

I've tried doing test with the rear camera plugged in or not. This doesnt make any difference. I've also tried with reformatted card but the problem still occurs.

One of the things I suspect is the HK3 power supply so I want to check this. The only way I can think of doing this is by measuring the supply at the pins of the GPS Mount (thats why I asked this: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-mount-connector-pins.45851/).

To summarise the problems they are:
A) Camera keeps restarting (with resultant corrupted files)
B) Camera starts, shows image which then never changes (or disappears from screen), not does it record anything.

Any help regarding testing the HK3 supply or other testing parameters much appreciated.

Have you tried using the included 12V car adapter and USB power cable? This will rule in/out the hardwire kit.

Good thought. Can do that tomorrow...

I would still like to test the HK3 delivery though.... If faulty I need to tackle the installer first...

HK3 for A129Pro were quite "cr*p" in terms of quality of the voltage output, which can play a role in this issue (A129Pro is fairly sensitive). Apparently multiple revisions exist but there is nothing to determine how old is the one you have.

Definitely try the 12V adapter.

Regarding the HK3... Does the voltage cutout switch affect both the Ignition and Accessory supplies or just the Accessory one (for Parking Mode)?

Regarding the HK3... Does the voltage cutout switch affect both the Ignition and Accessory supplies or just the Accessory one (for Parking Mode)?
Likely only the red battery wire. No need for the cutoff to affect the yellow accessory wire as it should have no power when the car is off.

The instructions say it cuts off the Accessory supply when battery falls below the selected level in order to protect the battery draining when camera is in Parking Mode. I just wondered if it was more general than that and also detected voltage on the Battery (live from Ignition) cable...

The instructions say it cuts off the Accessory supply when battery falls below the selected level in order to protect the battery draining when camera is in Parking Mode. I just wondered if it was more general than that and also detected voltage on the Battery (live from Ignition) cable...
Just read the manuals for the HK3 and HK3-C. Maybe I missed it, but where does it say that? I see under features it states what the red and yellow wire do, then at the end it states that the low voltage cutoff will cut voltage to protect the battery, but it is a general statement and I doesn't specifically imply they are referring the the yellow wire. There is no voltage (at least there shouldn't be) to the yellow wire when the car is off, so it wouldn't make much sense to add the low voltage protection to it.
https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk/attachments/19080544333

I've re-read the instructions and may well have misunderstood them! They say Red to Battery and Yellow to Accessory. My installer put Red to an ignition on source, and the Yellow to an always on Accessory Source. It now sounds like the Red should go to an always on source (battery) and the Yellow to an Accessory source that is only live when Ignition is on... Is that right?

I've re-read the instructions and may well have misunderstood them! They say Red to Battery and Yellow to Accessory. My installer put Red to an ignition on source, and the Yellow to an always on Accessory Source. It now sounds like the Red should go to an always on source (battery) and the Yellow to an Accessory source that is only live when Ignition is on... Is that right?
Correct, red (BATT) to an always on fuse, yellow (ACC) to a fuse that turns on and off with the car.

Have finally got to a conclusion on my diagnosis. HK3 kit and its wiring function as required (been double and treble checked!). GPS mount working as required. SD card(s) not faulty or unreliable.
Then I discovered that if I didnt connect the rear camera cable, the whole system, including parking mode, functions reliably albeit but with obviously no rear image files (I had also been through checking HK3 power in to GPS, HK3 power into camera, and usb power from local adaptor into camera all worked fine).
But if I plugin the rear camera, the whole system goes into various behaviours such as repeatedly restarting, telling me "insert sd card.." even though there are recordings captured both before and after this message without any intervention, camera system locking up, including a permanent GSOD (Grey screen of Death!).
Viofo are now inviting me to raise a ticket to get my supplier to swap the camera unit (again!).
Thanks to all for your various suggestions. I've spent hours on this (big SD card take ages to full format with guiformat2 !!). Almost threw it over a wall in my car park at one point!

Your original post said it made no difference if the rear camera was plugged in or not. Had you tested this previously?

Did they replace just the front camera originally or did they replace everything? Likely cause is either the rear camera or rear camera cable. If your replacing just the front camera and you have already done so before, then another front camera replacement isn't likely to help you.

I think you are possible right. I would suggest they send me a new rear camera cable first for me to test. If that doesnt make any difference, then a new rear camera. If neither make a difference, then replace front camera unit. However, I'll leave Viofo to decide what they want to do as all this is very time consuming, both for the exchange of units and for me to access the car to retest. I'm resigned that without luck or a radical approach* this could drag on into 2022....

* = A radical approach would be to send me all three items and trust me to try them one at a time and then send back the replaced or unused items. But cant see that happening!

P.s. I had tested with and without the rear camera but I think at that time I was dealing with two problems. I suspect that the HK3 installation may have had a faulty or discontinuous connection and only once that was remedied did I get a satisfactory result on front camera only.

I think you are possible right. I would suggest they send me a new rear camera cable first for me to test. If that doesnt make any difference, then a new rear camera. If neither make a difference, then replace front camera unit. However, I'll leave Viofo to decide what they want to do as all this is very time consuming, both for the exchange of units and for me to access the car to retest. I'm resigned that without luck or a radical approach* this could drag on into 2022....

* = A radical approach would be to send me all three items and trust me to try them one at a time and then send back the replaced or unused items. But cant see that happening!
Did you have to register with Viofo? I'm curious because I'm going through the same symptoms right now, and I too discovered that the dashcam works if the rear camera is disconnected.

Your original post said it made no difference if the rear camera was plugged in or not. Had you tested this previously?

Did they replace just the front camera originally or did they replace everything? Likely cause is either the rear camera or rear camera cable. If your replacing just the front camera and you have already done so before, then another front camera replacement isn't likely to help you.
Hi! I'm the one you are helping right now with my Pro Duo. I'm going to check my rear cable routing next for sharp bends. This thread looks very familiar. whew!

I received a new Rear Camera Cable yesterday and tested it this morning. I only did a short run, then a 2 minute park, then the 3mile run back. All files recorded as expected so I finally have a complete working system!

My supplier made a big effort to ensure they got me the latest spec cable and it seems to have resolved all the issues. I dont use the car very often but a longer run beckons next week so will report back on here, probably Friday...

Hi! I'm the one you are helping right now with my Pro Duo. I'm going to check my rear cable routing next for sharp bends. This thread looks very familiar. whew!
Messaged you again earlier. Sending out another cable today.

Last edited:
Back