A139 Pro Rear and Front Model advice: Bitrate, Storage and HK3-C Hardware Kit

pcf

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello,

I'm interested in the following model: https://viofo.com/dash-cam/291-viof...-the-newest-sony-starvis-2-imx678-sensor.html

1. Bitrate:
What's the total expected combined bitrate, using the latest publicly available firmware (v1.1 0615), assuming:
Front @ 4K (3840x2160p) 30fps + Rear @ FHD (1080p) 30fps ?

2. Storage:
Would a MicroSDXC card of the following variety be considered good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09WB1857WIf I'm not going the 'Viofo' branded MicroSDXC cards route, are there issues with Samsung MicroSDXC cards who's capacity is above 128GB or in general?

3. HK3-C Hardware Kit:
If my installer will end up having to splice the cable in order to extend it, besides voiding the warranty on the HK3-C cable, what is the recommended write gauge I should insist on them using for the extension part?

Thanks!

Last edited:
2. Storage:
Would a MicroSDXC card of the following variety be considered good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09WB1857WIf I'm not going the 'Viofo' branded MicroSDXC cards route, are there issues with Samsung MicroSDXC cards who's capacity is above 128GB or in general?
Hello,
Recommended Viofo memory cards here: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...mory-card-is-recommended-for-a-viofo-dashcam-
(easily found by searching the web)
I also sometimes go to the B&H Photo Video website and see what cards they offer and what their prices are.
I don't rely on the good reviews on Amazon etc.

3. HK3-C Hardware Kit:
If my installer will end up having to splice the cable in order to extend it, besides voiding the warranty on the HK3-C cable, what is the recommended write gauge I should insist on them using for the extension part?
For extension, copper stranded wires with a cross section of 18 AWG / 0.75 mm2 (millimeters squared) are probably suitable (are you going to extend on a 12 Volt line?).

Last edited:
Reactions: pcf
Hello,

For extension, copper stranded wires with a cross section of 18 AWG / 0.75 mm2 (millimeters squared) are probably suitable (are you going to extend on a 12 Volt line?).
Thank you, Leonauto.

No idea if extending the 12V line will be required. The car will be in the size of a Renault Clio/Hyundai i20 (latest models).

Pretty sure though, that I'll purchase a longer Viofo Coaxial Rear Cable for the rear camera. Perhaps 10 meters will suffice?

Based on my testing I only recommend the A139 Pro in 1-channel configuration.
For the rear I would add a separate A119 Mini 2.
-Chuck

Based on my testing I only recommend the A139 Pro in 1-channel configuration.
For the rear I would add a separate A119 Mini 2.
-Chuck
Hello,

Could you please point me to your findings or note here what were the points of failure that led you to this conclusion?

. Bitrate:
What's the total expected combined bitrate, using the latest publicly available firmware (v1.1 0605, IQ Optimized), assuming:
Front @ 4K (3840x2160p) 30fps + Rear @ FHD (1080p) 30fps ?
Edit: got it mixed up. 2CH can still do 4k 30 fps + 1080p 30 fps.
The 60 mbps are still correct though.

The A139 Pro can only record 3840x1600 @ 30 fps when using 2CH 3CH.
Which should be enough. 90% of my hood are visible and traffic lights pretty high above me are too (Germany, lights on your side).
Bitrate is 60 mbps (59973 kBit/s to be accurate).
I didn't install the rear cam yet, but from what I've seen in reviews, it will take away 20 mbps from the front cam. So still 60 mbps, split into 40+20.
Rear cam is 1920x1080 @ 30 fps.

Afaik you could get higher fps, but then you'll lose image quality, especially in the dark!
2. Storage:
Should be fine, they are listed as compatible on the Viofo site.
Edit: I didn't look right. Apparently all Samsung cards are specifically NOT recommended.

In theory, all big brand U3, V30 cards should be perfectly fine. A2 on top would be even better, but I didn't find an endurance card with that.
I'm using a San disk Max Endurance, since it's not only an endurance card but also uses virtual-mlc, which means each storage cell is used less.
(Flash storage puts multiple bits into one cell by using closer together voltages, very easy comparison: first "1" at 0.3V, second "1" at 0.6V, third "1" at 0.9V) and each cell has a limited lifetime for writing. So only putting 2 bits into one cell instead of 3 or 4 (tlc, qlc), makes them way more robust since the lifetime is increased and the bits are easier distinguished.

From what I've read, standard endurance cards have just a little bit tougher components for higher temperatures, better water proofing etc.
While the way more expensive endurance cards like the max endurance or WD Purple cards are basically 128 GB endurance cards with only 64 GB capacity and a bunch of extra cells if some "die".

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pcf
The A139 Pro can only record 3840x1600 @ 30 fps when using 2CH.
Which should be enough. 90% of my hood are visible and traffic lights pretty high above me are too (Germany, lights on your side).
Bitrate is 60 mbps (59973 kBit/s to be accurate).
Afaik you could get higher fps, but then you'll lose image quality, especially in the dark!
Should be fine, they are listed as compatible on the Viofo site.
In theory, all big brand U3, V30 cards should be perfectly fine. A2 on top would be even better, but I didn't find an endurance card with that.
Hope that helps :)
Thank you, that is helpful.

BTW:
Leonauto has also provided helpful information about the Viofo units and MicroSDXC cards compatibility: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...mory-card-is-recommended-for-a-viofo-dashcam-
By the looks of it, the Samsung Pro Endurance card I was inquiring about is explicitly not recommended by Viofo, so I'll probably go the Sandisk Extreme/Max Endurance route (128GB or 256GB):
0kXsSRK.png

Attachments

• 1688130448534.png
    1688130448534.png
    254 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, that is helpful.

BTW:
Leonauto has also provided helpful information about the Viofo units and MicroSDXC cards compatibility: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...mory-card-is-recommended-for-a-viofo-dashcam-
By the looks of it, the Samsung Pro Endurance card I was inquiring about is explicitly not recommended by Viofo, so I'll probably go the Sandisk Extreme/Max Endurance route (128GB or 256GB):
0kXsSRK.png
Whoops, I looked at that link but didn't notice the "not" recommended.. Sorry!
I have no idea what should be the issue with the Samsung cards though. Never had issues with them in other cams/phones etc.
The recommended ones are simply the fastest and most expensive cards and the viofo branded one might simply be a SanDisk Max endurance.
The standard "extreme" is the fastest of them all, so probably "recommended" due to that. I have 3 of them in my action cams, never any issues in 3 years of kitesurfing in the sunshine at 30°C or snow at only 1°C.

Could you please point me to your findings or note here what were the points of failure that led you to this conclusion?
1.) Maximum image quality
2.) Increased reliability
3.) Reduced risk of recording malfunctions

Hopefully in October the A229 Pro will solve this.
STARVIS 2 IMX678 4K Front.
STARVIS 2 IMX675 2K Rear.
Hope that is correct info.

If Viofo makes one more step forward and will change GPS chipset from outdated MTK3337 to something modern with GPS + Galileo + Glonass support I'll be really impressed!
Sorry for offtopic.

Last edited:
2. Storage:
This stuff about SD cards is driving me bonkers. In the UK, Viofo UK sell their own branded card and the Integral Security MicroSD card. The Intergral card is on neither the "good" nor the "bad" list, but the fact that it is sold by Viofo UK suggests it is "good". Isn't it about time we were given the actual parameters that matter rather than having own-brand cards pushed at us, that obviously are made by by someone else.

Hopefully in October the A229 Pro will solve this.
STARVIS 2 IMX678 4K Front.
STARVIS 2 IMX675 2K Rear.
@viofo If an improved rear camera for an A229 Pro has the same footprint and connections that the current rear camera of an A139 Pro has (meaning that it can use the existing rear camera cable the current A139 Pro 2-CH uses), I would hope/expect that such a new rear camera could be purchased as a separate upgrade for the A139 Pro along with any necessary firmware update for the A139 Pro to handle the higher resolution.

If an improved rear camera for an A229 Pro has the same footprint and connections that the current rear camera of an A139 Pro has (meaning that it can use the existing rear camera cable the current A139 Pro 2-CH uses)
Incorrect.
The A229 & A139 Pro rear cameras & cables are not interchangeable.

Incorrect.
How do you know the rear cable of a yet unreleased dashcam won't be interchangeable?
You're right about the A229 and the A139 Pro, but the A229 Pro isn't released yet and maybe the A139 Pro rear cable will fit

Back