Viofo A139 Pro 4K Front + FHD Inside + FHD Rear

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Looks like Viofo just released a new dash cam - the Viofo A139 Pro that records in 4K for the front camera, FHD for inside and rear.

@viofo
shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Hey, now it is official on sale. We want footage from testers!! :D

All you need to know about this dashcam is included in attached picture which is zoomed at 5X. Everything else it is not so important just because it is a Viofo product and all we know what products are they producing.

This is the most revolutionary step made in dashcam world and Viofo are the first in the world who achieved this. This is the first ever dashcam snapshot which is showing an european car license plate read at a speed over 20 km/h. And not 25 or 30 km/h but 100 km/h. Some dashcams could not read license plates at 100 km/h during day.
The total speed was about 200Km/h!

A139 Pro 4K HDR night - dashcam speed 100 kmph - total speed 200 kmph - zoom 5X.png

Attachments

• A139 Pro 4K HDR night - dashcam speed 100 kmph - total speed 200 kmph - zoom 5X.png
    A139 Pro 4K HDR night - dashcam speed 100 kmph - total speed 200 kmph - zoom 5X.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
We want footage from testers!!
It will be interesting to see how video is shared by testers and received by consumers.

I don't think I have any devices that can play 4K HDR.

EDIT - can be watched on any device that plays 4K

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
HDR on any dashcam doesn't means pure HDR. It is just how the image is created. We know that there is WDR and HDR. Previously Viofo dashcams used WDR to create a single frame from the video. Now it is using HDR to create that single frame. It will be not some HDR video to be watched on some special devices but a normal video created by the HDR processing which can be watched on any device.

It will be not some HDR video to be watched on some special devices but a normal video created by the HDR processing which can be watched on any device.
OK, thanks for confirming that

This is the most revolutionary step made in dashcam world and Viofo are the first in the world who achieved this.
That is not the best quality photograph, even if taking it was revolutionary!

Let's have some light, with a view that does have a High Dynamic Range ... squashed into an SDR jpg photo:

y4mdAF9sc3DRCeNWQCB6UzLsL3sYjKhIL3fRt2Ih3v1LIiIpT6Yz5jI4E_vTqSleZsYLcHtBFV_Q2N06cTxQu8HtffGJBm0gW0Z7BJw2DvHSu3Q_xyChk1IflUYBPv2aPeZsZ-O_anE7alIZo7jFdZTCid1Ckz0VN84kjZC7wDyk20

1CH Pre-ordered (y)

Last edited:
That is not the best quality photograph, even if taking it was revolutionary!

Let's have some light, with a view that does have a High Dynamic Range ... squashed into an SDR jpg photo:

y4mdAF9sc3DRCeNWQCB6UzLsL3sYjKhIL3fRt2Ih3v1LIiIpT6Yz5jI4E_vTqSleZsYLcHtBFV_Q2N06cTxQu8HtffGJBm0gW0Z7BJw2DvHSu3Q_xyChk1IflUYBPv2aPeZsZ-O_anE7alIZo7jFdZTCid1Ckz0VN84kjZC7wDyk20
Come on, most of us are waiting readable license plates at any speed during night time footage for, I don't know, 15 years?
Don't ruin it.

Regular photo.
cb2e07a15ad096cd624fef2a3c29ff32e8d696f0.jpg

HDR photo made up of 5 different ( EV ) photos.
8ba2c55ceecc9e4182da377b100c1ac9e3ac4c91.jpg

No Photoshop, just 5 overlaid pictures mixed, in this case i felt a little darker feel was nice, i could also have made it brighter like EV0 photo and then just used the EV+2 sky to get the sun and colors back there.

Come on, most of us are waiting readable license plates at any speed during night time footage for, I don't know, 15 years?
Don't ruin it.
And some of us have wanted nice fluffy white clouds in the sky instead of burned out overexposed skies ;)

Not many license plates in my photo, but it does have the clouds :)

When you will be surrounded by trees on both sides of the street there will be overexposed sky also for you.

kamkar, sorry man but that pictures are poor compared to Nigels snapshot.

Don't ruin it.
People needs to understand this, no matter the IMX678 or Starvis 2:
1. If eye cannot see the car license number, the dashcam will not see it too.
2. If the eye can see the car license number at the sunset or at the dawn with some effort, the dashcam will not see it.
3. If you want to increase the change to see the car license plates a little after the sunset open your car lights. The best advice is to turn on the lights when you are outside of the city.
4, Stay close on the incoming cars during night. If there are 2 more lanes between you and the opposite car, try do drive under 50 km/h to read the opposite car license number. You also have no reason to drive on last lane with 50 km/h, stay on first lane at that speed.
5. At total speed over 190 km/h even the opposite car is close to you, the chances to read the car license number are decreasing.
6. Move on a country with big car license numbers so you can read them at total speeds over 190 km/h. USA will be not so happy regarding this.

Last edited:
When you will be surrounded by trees on both sides of the street there will be overexposed sky also for you.
Yes, hard for any camera to get both the shadows and sky perfect all of the time, but maybe it has?
It has a bit of motion blur close to the camera - do we need Starvis-3, or maybe just an improved firmware?
I suspect the firmware could be improved here:

y4mOqN3h0mrpJDU4P_OWmKO1F8XPEouWR-9w0kwnPXIdiM_tZM_5O1SWuJWmdPz70EqAnCcvoZavLLkRATAbsObFUJ9qw4wY1lRRzIcLaTGhDzhW9o4s9DMQ0bSq5fZO4y_4v6JlWaaZgWeAkExi-o5ejkteE00Mc9YuKfWoQEawP4

So I take it then that the mysterious A229 Pro is the same IMX678 front sensor (in an A229 shell) with the same rear 2K IMX335 sensor that the A229 has?

So I’ve been testing one out as well and have been testing multiple firmware versions as Viofo optimizes their HDR with this new sensor. It’s not ghost-free right now, but I still think this dashcam is extremely promising and I’ll be focusing on it more once I finish editing all the videos from SEMA.

I hope you will test it with american license plates like I did in my previous snapshot on a dark road and incoming cars near you.

I am curious about the maximum total speed to read american license plates at night in the same conditions like mine, with nearly incoming cars. If the incoming car is not so close will be not the same.

For sure there is no actual dashcam which can read license plates at night like A139 Pro is doing.

I consider that a HDR image will be never ghost free. To judge a dashcam about motion blur the HDR must be turned off.
The only reason to have HDR enabled is to read license plates at night. If you want any other thing like brighter image or clear image or nice colors, turn the HDR off.
The dashcam HDR is not about beauty, it is about helping the owner to defeat himself in court if the dashcam proof is needed, is something just technical.

Also you should explain to the people what I said to TonyM about HDR. Of course if you agree with that. Even TonyM who is an experienced user believe that A139 Pro will create pure HDR videos.

Back