A139 Pro Test & Review PP

I noticed this on a freeze frame from the other day - HDR is on:

a139_frame-X3.jpg

Anyone else? I assume this double edge (on the plate and car badge) is an effect from the HDR feature.

Paul.
Yes, that appears to be normal for the A139 Pro Clear HDR. It is a combination of a short and a long exposure, captured at the same moment in time. The low sun behind you permits the short, bright exposure. The long exposure fills in the shadow detail.

If you look closely, you will see the double edge in all bright/reflective areas of the image, notably the car, road markings, road sign.

Daylight example. Pretty impressive I'd say.

Paul.

Yes, that appears to be normal for the A139 Pro Clear HDR. It is a combination of a short and a long exposure, captured at the same moment in time. The low sun behind you permits the short, bright exposure. The long exposure fills in the shadow detail.
It shows that A139 Pro HDR is very useful in daytime, without it you wouldn't read that plate. Remembering that it is winter, and the A129 Pro had lots of problems with winter lighting when it was first released at Xmas, but was working well by Easter!

Daylight example. Pretty impressive I'd say.

Paul.
Just a random question. What are the laws in the UK for dashcams regarding showing the plates and faces of other people on the internet?
Is it allowed to do what you want and just publish them?

Just a random question. What are the laws in the UK for dashcams regarding showing the plates and faces of other people on the internet?
Is it allowed to do what you want and just publish them?

Nothing to stop us in any public place I believe.

Nothing to stop us in any public place I believe.
That's a lot more convenient than the laws in Germany.
Uploading and showing the plates, faces or even company information on the car can lead to big fines.
Either you don't upload anything or blur the faces, plates and any other personal data.
Some big German dashcam channels got lawsuits resulting in them having to pay a fine. They also had to delete all their old videos.
Now they have to blur every single visible plate and face to comply with the laws.

That's a lot more convenient than the laws in Germany.
Uploading and showing the plates, faces or even company information on the car can lead to big fines.
Either you don't upload anything or blur the faces, plates and any other personal data.
Some big German dashcam channels got lawsuits resulting in them having to pay a fine. They also had to delete all their old videos.
Now they have to blur every single visible plate and face to comply with the laws.
And if a road user hits you and drives away or a pedestrian throws himself under the wheels? Will you paint over the numbers and faces too? Then why do you need a DVR? Shoot fields and meadows?

And if a road user hits you and drives away or a pedestrian throws himself under the wheels? Will you paint over the numbers and faces too? Then why do you need a DVR? Shoot fields and meadows?
I wrote that this applies if you upload and make it public, for example, on youtube or elsewhere on social media.
If an accident happens you can show and give the raw footage to the police and the insurance. This is no problem and is appreciated by the police since it's solid evidence.
Just don't upload videos with plates or faces visible on the internet.
I'm just saying how it is. I don't like this either.

Tonight I decided to try something.

Remember to set the YT cogs to 4K of course...

The first upload is from yesterday with the CPL on (though I was expecting it to do more - unless it's either out of position or fallen off without me realising - so I will check tomorrow...) at night, and in the windscreen you can still see the reflection of the grey interior trim (and accept my apology for any (poor) incidental singing in the background)....

The next 3 clips are again at night with the CPL filter on - however, I have placed a piece of cheap black cloth (not the darkest black mind you) across the dash. This obviously has the effect of hiding the grey interior trim. The first clip is just a road drive like the one from yesterday. The second two are consecutive clips leaving the city roads into a well lit car park, and then leaving the car park back onto the city roads.

All 4 of course are examples of the A139 for observation purposes.

Oh, and spot the birdie.... ;)

I will say at this juncture, that I think this is the best night time video I have seen so far on any dashcam I have trialled, especially seeing city lights and darkness.

Oh, and the microphone works brilliantly and picks up every sound perfectly.

My congratulations to @viofo for an excellent product.

Paul.

Last edited:
I will say at this juncture, that I think this is the best night time video I have seen so far on any dashcam I have trialled, especially seeing city lights and darkness.
Very nice test footage Paul.

I am a bit confused, many of these videos it look like consecutive frame HDR and not same time exposure as the starvis 2 can do ( clear view i think they call it )

I am a bit confused, many of these videos it look like consecutive frame HDR and not same time exposure as the starvis 2 can do ( clear view i think they call it )
From what I have seen it is Clear HDR (same time) rather than DOL HDR (consecutive). There are two simultaneous exposures of different length. When these are overlaid, and I'm not sure what algorithm is used to show both at once, we see sharp details and blurred areas in each frame. Sometimes it feels as though the longer exposure takes priority, so the blurred information swamps the sharp detail captured by the shorter exposure.

From what I have seen it is Clear HDR (same time) rather than DOL HDR (consecutive). There are two simultaneous exposures of different length. When these are overlaid, and I'm not sure what algorithm is used to show both at once, we see sharp details and blurred areas in each frame. Sometimes it feels as though the longer exposure takes priority, so the blurred information swamps the sharp detail captured by the shorter exposure.
We just got some new improvements on this, still under testing and optimization.
Due to the Chinese new year coming, we will share more info after the Chinese new year.

We just got some new improvements on this, still under testing and optimization.
Due to the Chinese new year coming, we will share more info after the Chinese new year

Is the version on the website this already, or an interim FW - version 1.0_1217?

LINK

I know it's not the dead of night but it's dark enough to demonstrate how well this camera functions as a licence plate reader.

This is the first time I've driven down an unlit country road in the dark since I've had the camera and it's also raining.

Even though I’m travelling at 45 - 50mph if you pause the video at the right moment you’ll get a clear image of just about every on-coming licence plate in this clip,
I'm viewing in 4K on a 28" 4K monitor in full screen

Back