A139 Pro Test & Review PP

I've owned or tested dozens of dash cams. The G-sensor sensitivity seems to vary widely between brands and sometimes models within brands, even when set to the lowest sensitivity setting.

It is all relative however. One user's "not sensitive enough" is another's "too sensitive for me", based on how you use the camera.

I happen to live on a bumpy gravel and dirt mountain road that can be better or worse depending on the time of year. There are some cameras where I've had to turn off the G-senor completely because of constant triggering with every bump in the road I encounter.

Viofo cameras work pretty well for me. At the lowest G-sensor setting the camera gets triggered occasionally if I hit a bad spot or washboard in the road but it is not something that otherwise ruins my G-sensor experience when parked at the supermarket although it certainly is not on a hair trigger. I might not catch every single person who opens a car door against the side of my vehicle but it would catch someone who backs up into me and tries to drive away, as happened to me before I ever owned a dash cam. ( Fortunately, I just happened to come along right when that happened and witnesses the event and watched as the out-of-state driver was just about to drive away, so I stepped in front of his car, held my hand up and said, "Where the fuq do you think you're going? :rage: License & insurance info was then exchanged.:smuggrin:)

So, I guess G-sensor sensitivity depends on your preferences, needs and driving conditions but I don't think it is practical to engineer a solution that will fit everyone's requirements.

Truly working sensivity levels would solve it.

When my dashcam is in the most sensible G setting in parking mode and doesn't lock a video if I fist my windshield, something isn't right.

Truly working sensivity levels would solve it.

Please define "truly working sensitivity levels".

Low, medium and high can all function within their own parameters in different cameras but what "most sensible" means I do not know.

When my dashcam is in the most sensible G setting in parking mode and doesn't lock a video if I fist my windshield, something isn't right.

If you "fist" your windshield and it triggers your G-sensor but it also triggers your G-sensor due to everyday hazards like expansion strips or bumps in the road, something still isn't right.

Maybe some sort of "smart G-sensor" functionality is needed but we don't have that as yet.

Last edited:
I've owned or tested dozens of dash cams. The G-sensor sensitivity seems to vary widely between brands and sometimes models within brands, even when set to the lowest sensitivity setting.

It is all relative however. One user's "not sensitive enough" is another's "too sensitive for me", based on how you use the camera.

I happen to live on a bumpy gravel and dirt mountain road that can be better or worse depending on the time of year. There are some cameras where I've had to turn off the G-senor completely because of constant triggering with every bump in the road I encounter.

Viofo cameras work pretty well for me. At the lowest G-sensor setting the camera gets triggered occasionally if I hit a bad spot or washboard in the road but it is not something that otherwise ruins my G-sensor experience when parked at the supermarket although it certainly is not on a hair trigger. I might not catch every single person who opens a car door against the side of my vehicle but it would catch someone who backs up into me and tries to drive away, as happened to me before I ever owned a dash cam. ( Fortunately, I just happened to come along right when that happened and witnesses the event and watched as the out-of-state driver was just about to drive away, so I stepped in front of his car, held my hand up and said, "Where the fuq do you think you're going? :rage: License & insurance info was then exchanged.:smuggrin:)

So, I guess G-sensor sensitivity depends on your preferences, needs and driving conditions but I don't think it is practical to engineer a solution that will fit everyone's requirements.
I agree with you. However it was set to highest sensitivity while parked. :)

Please define "truly working sensitivity levels".

Low, medium and high can all function within their own parameters in different cameras but what "most sensible" means I do not know.

If you "fist" your windshield and it triggers your G-sensor but it also triggers your G-sensor due to everyday hazards like expansion strips or bumps in the road, something still isn't right.

Maybe some sort of "smart G-sensor" functionality is needed but we don't have that as yet.

The A139 Pro has different G sensor settings for drive and parking mode. I have set g sensor detection to low in driving mode and high in parking mode. I expected it to trigger with a fist bump or even slamming the door but it doesn't. Clearly the "low medium high" are in some other range. "totalled, major damage and only lost the entire front bumper" sensitivity levels come to mind.

Did my full test on parking mode.
One thing I found weird is an impact while in parking mode does not save to a locked file. It only saves to parking mode.
That is something that in my opinion should be changed. Thinkware, IROAD, GNET, all save impacts while parked to an event folder.

I have found that sometimes the G-triggered files are not locked. The files are there, just not locked. I have raised it with Viofo who are trying to replicate. When in motion, it is typically a rear file that isn't locked, and when parked it is both front and rear. Happens about 1-in-10 G-triggers.

I have found that sometimes the G-triggered files are not locked. The files are there, just not locked. I have raised it with Viofo who are trying to replicate. When in motion, it is typically a rear file that isn't locked, and when parked it is both front and rear. Happens about 1-in-10 G-triggers.
interesting.

Hi DashCamTalk!
This is my first posting, so a little introduction before my question:
Rasmus, from northern Germany, 31 yo. 10 km city traffic every few days to work and about 12k km per year. With quite some time spent on the "Autobahn", you know about the people flying towards you with 250+ kp/h and the issues when something happens... (or someone cutting in front of you, when you're going 160 kp/h+).

Anyway, finally time for a 2-Ch dashcam!
I'd like to get a A139 Pro + RearCam but I've got a question for @viofo or @VIOFO-Support :
Does the Pro also record the video before/next, if the g-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds to the start/end of the current video?

I know the non-Pro A139 does this since firmware V1.6 from this blog article:

It's a very crucial feature, since here in Germany, the "data protection laws" can lead to 500€+ fines if the police finds more video-time than "absolutely needed for self-protection in case of accidents" on your SD Card.
So I'd like to format a 128GB card with only 2-3 GB and have only 3x 1min videos looping.
So if something happens, I'd always have the current video, the one before/after and the 3rd video to continue recording after 2 videos got protected/locked.

I already know from reviews, that it's sadly not the case for the Pro or non-Pro, if the video is manually locked without the g-sensor being triggered.
But I can't find any information about how the Pro handles g-sensor triggered video locking.

(128GB for the card's endurance. The controller uses all sectors of the card automatically, even with just a small partition)

Thanks in advance!
Rasmus

It's a very crucial feature, since here in Germany, the "data protection laws" can lead to 500€+ fines if the police finds more video-time than "absolutely needed for self-protection in case of accidents" on your SD Card.
In the UK, we have a common law system. So we can video and keep whatever we like provided it is visible from a public place. It is a freedom that is regularly tested by "auditors" on YouTube as UK citizens do not like the concept of an authoritarian State. The only issue with dashcams is whether they obstruct the driver's view of the road.

Anyway. lecture over. Your problem is that regardless of what is "locked", your dashcam will record and store data continuously when in use, the amount of data being governed by bitrate of the audio/video and the capacity of your storage card.

since here in Germany, the "data protection laws" can lead to 500€+ fines if the police finds more video-time than "absolutely needed for self-protection in case of accidents"

I've never quite understood the strict German laws about dash cam usage either, especially in this day and age where surveillance cameras seem to be everywhere.

Here in the US the law is based on a "reasonable expectation of privacy". This means that if you are out in public where anyone and everyone can see you anyway, you don't have an expectation of privacy. If you are inside your home you do have an expectation of privacy. Also. if you are in your car you can't record audio without first informing your passengers that a recording is taking place and obtaining their permission. Some dash cams sold in the US come with a little sticker you can use that warns that conversations are being recorded.

Hi DashCamTalk!
This is my first posting, so a little introduction before my question:
Rasmus, from northern Germany, 31 yo. 10 km city traffic every few days to work and about 12k km per year. With quite some time spent on the "Autobahn", you know about the people flying towards you with 250+ kp/h and the issues when something happens... (or someone cutting in front of you, when you're going 160 kp/h+).

Anyway, finally time for a 2-Ch dashcam!
I'd like to get a A139 Pro + RearCam but I've got a question for @viofo or @VIOFO-Support :
Does the Pro also record the video before/next, if the g-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds to the start/end of the current video?

I know the non-Pro A139 does this since firmware V1.6 from this blog article:

So I'd like to format a 128GB card with only 2-3 GB and have only 3x 1min videos looping.
So if something happens, I'd always have the current video, the one before/after and the 3rd video to continue recording after 2 videos got protected/locked.

I already know from reviews, that it's sadly not the case for the Pro or non-Pro, if the video is manually locked without the g-sensor being triggered.
But I can't find any information about how the Pro handles g-sensor triggered video locking.

(128GB for the card's endurance. The controller uses all sectors of the card automatically, even with just a small partition)

Thanks in advance!
Rasmus
Yes, both A139 and A139pro have this function. If the G-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds of the start of the current video, the current video and the last one will be locked. If the G-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds of the end of the current video, the current one and the next one will be locked.

Yes, both A139 and A139pro have this function. If the G-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds of the start of the current video, the current video and the last one will be locked. If the G-sensor is triggered within 15 seconds of the end of the current video, the current one and the next one will be locked.
Thanks for the quick reply! The pro just got ordered :)

May I also ask what's the reason this isn't also applied for manual button pressing?

If someone locks a video manually, I'm sure he'd like to have locked what he wanted to save, instead of the minute afterwards.
For situations where you recorded an accident as a witness etc.

Or can you just slap the camera instead of using the button? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the quick reply! The pro just got ordered :)

May I also ask what's the reason this isn't also applied for manual button pressing?

If someone locks a video manually, I'm sure he'd like to have locked what he wanted to save, instead of the minute afterwards.
For situations where you recorded an accident as a witness etc.

Or can you just slap the camera instead of using the button? :ROFLMAO:
You need time to give reflection when there is an accident, if you have not pressed the button in time, you may miss the important video. That is why this function is added to the camera. Instead of pressing the button on the camera, you can also install a Bluetooth control in the place where it is more convenient for you to lock the video. :D

You need time to give reflection when there is an accident, if you have not pressed the button in time, you may miss the important video. That is why this function is added to the camera. Instead of pressing the button on the camera, you can also install a Bluetooth control in the place where it is more convenient for you to lock the video. :D
Makes sense. I guess it's a Germany specific issue with the restrictions on how much recording time is allowed.
Other dashcams with Germany as one of their main markets have settings to only record 30s loops without anything being stored on the sd card as long as no accident happens or the button is pressed.
In that case, these will still write 30s before and after the trigger though.

But I want the image quality and there's no real match out there in the same price range :D

My plan is to make only a small partition with only space for 3x 1 min in maximum quality.
So basically only space for one accident per drive plus one loop extra.

That means if I press the button manually, I only have 1-2 minutes to stop the recording to keep the previous/next video from being overwritten.

If I'd make the whole 128 GB available, I'd have more than plenty of time to get the right videos.
But I'd also risk paying 500+ €, if I'm offering my video as a witness while the police is still there.

Sorry for sounding like a pita. It's just that stupid over here because recording cars is similar to recording someone inside their private property.
Multiple laws clash together, since you're also allowed to record the public, as long you're not recording "single persons" and you're also allowed to record for self protection.

And making a setting available to do exactly the same for manual button press & g-sensor events would solve these issues completely and probably would make you sell a few more viofo dashcams in Germany :)

to Raaz
You are looking for a problem where there is none.
Just give those files that are relevant to a particular incident.
EVERYTHING, the end!!!

That means if I press the button manually, I only have 1-2 minutes to stop the recording to keep the previous/next video from being overwritten.
And what happens if, as a result of the accident, you are stunned or unconscious for 3 or 4 minutes and fail to save the video before it's overwritten?

In my opinion (probably worthless in this case) the law, as I read it, allows retention for as long as is necessary to protect yourself in the event of an accident. That period is variable depending on specific circumstances that can't be determined in advance - therefore an arbitrary limit of just 2 or 3 minutes is unfairly restrictive.

You are looking for a problem where there is none.
Just give those files that are relevant to a particular incident.
I'd rather say the German laws create a problem where there is none, not me.
If you look into German dashcam forums, you find enough reports about fines for recording too much.
As I said, they are allowed to take your SD card right there at the spot.
And what happens if, as a result of the accident, you are stunned or unconscious for 3 or 4 minutes and fail to save the video before it's overwritten?
Then the g-sensor triggers and protects the video + the previous/next one if you were within 15 seconds to the begin/end of the current video.
That's what the blog post from Viofo is about.
In my opinion (probably worthless in this case) the law, as I read it, allows retention for as long as is necessary to protect yourself in the event of an accident. That period is variable depending on specific circumstances that can't be determined in advance - therefore an arbitrary limit of just 2 or 3 minutes is unfairly restrictive.
Yep, I agree. And I guess you could take a lawyer and go against the fine in this case. But I'd rather have Viofo to enable the same functionality to the manual button, that the g-sensor-trigger has, instead of needing to call my lawyer.

Then the g-sensor triggers and protects the video + the previous/next one if you were within 15 seconds to the begin/end of the current video.
That's what the blog post from Viofo is about.
While this is true it presumes the g-sensor is functioning properly and is activated. Additionally, it could be beneficial to have more than just the previous video segment to provide more understanding of events leading up to the incident, be it a few minutes or longer.

My experience is the reliability of g-sensor detection is erratic at best and often too sensitive causing many 'false alarms' (particularly true in my wife's car) so my preference is to use large memory cards and rely on their raw capacity to insure I have whatever I might need, going back hours or even days/weeks depending on how much driving I'm doing.

I realize this is meaningless in the context of you having to live with the law as it is, but is more of a rationale for why the law could be described as short-sighted and should be changed.

Last edited:
Dashcams are ilegal in Portugal or better it's a very grey area. A police officer can confiscate it if he wants.

On the other hand you have 20.000 teslas driving around that record from every possible angle 24/7...

I see a long legal battle ahead of me if some authority goes after me for having a dashcam because I simply won't accept it.

Dashcam footage has even been accepted in courts to prove crimes (the penal code supersedes privacy rights) but not "acidents" or "infractions". Depends on the judge really.

Wanted to reply to the earlier replies too, but wanted to wait for the "official answer" first :)
In the UK, we have a common law system. So we can video and keep whatever we like provided it is visible from a public place. It is a freedom that is regularly tested by "auditors" on YouTube as UK citizens do not like the concept of an authoritarian State. The only issue with dashcams is whether they obstruct the driver's view of the road.
Yeah it's a bit weird and tricky over here.. We are allowed to film the public, as long as no individual can be seen as individuals. It's a bit tricky, but basically you can film a busy park, but you can not film a group of 3 people directly.
Filming passing cars is "okay", but filming 10 minutes of driving behind a single car is not really.
The issue is, like I wrote earlier, that cars are similar to "private property", so filming someone inside their car is like filming your neighbour in their living room.
Anyway. lecture over. Your problem is that regardless of what is "locked", your dashcam will record and store data continuously when in use, the amount of data being governed by bitrate of the audio/video and the capacity of your storage card.
I agree but it's not a problem:
You can use a 128 GB card, access it via the Disk Management in Windows and create only a 2 GB partition.
The dashcam will think there's only 2 GB of space, but the card-controller will still use every sector of the card evenly to keep it healthy.
From what I've read, the A139 Pro writes with 60 mbps when using 2 channels at max resolution and bitrate.
This equals 7.5 MB/s. If you want to store about 3 minutes, this would be 180 seconds -> 7.5 MB/s * 180s = 1350 MB = 1.32 GB.

When set to 1 min loops, the Viofo cams would write 3x 1min and then overwrite the oldest of the 3.
If you'd lock a video, it would only write 2x 1min and then overwrite the first of these 2.

You can probably guess, where I've read this...
German dashcam forum after someone posted his nice 551€ fine after telling the police that he had surely recorded the accident he witnessed and stayed with the parties. The police took his SD card and a few weeks later he got a nice letter :(

I've never quite understood the strict German laws about dash cam usage either, especially in this day and age where surveillance cameras seem to be everywhere.

Here in the US the law is based on a "reasonable expectation of privacy". This means that if you are out in public where anyone and everyone can see you anyway, you don't have an expectation of privacy. If you are inside your home you do have an expectation of privacy. Also. if you are in your car you can't record audio without first informing your passengers that a recording is taking place and obtaining their permission. Some dash cams sold in the US come with a little sticker you can use that warns that conversations are being recorded.
It's slowly getting better. Many police officers like dashcams, but some sadly don't. The laws need to be adjusted but that takes time and has no priority.
The audio recording part is the same over here. I need to tell everyone inside my car that their voice will be recorded. But it's rarely the case, so that's no issue, luckily.
While this is true it presumes the g-sensor is functioning properly and is activated. Additionally, it could be beneficial to have more than just the previous video segment to provide more understanding of events leading up to the incident, be it a few minutes or longer.

My experience is the reliability of g-sensor detection is erratic at best and often too sensitive causing many 'false alarms' (particularly true in my wife's car) so my preference is to use large memory cards and rely on their raw capacity to insure I have whatever I might need, going back hours or even days/weeks depending on how much driving I'm doing.
That's true.. Guess I'll need to test it. Dashcam will arrive tomorrow.
I'll do some heavy braking, hit some of the little-medium potholes nearby and test the g-sensor detection.
Absolutely agree on more information probably being beneficial. But it is, what it is and from what I've seen/read, you mostly only need about 15 seconds to prove who's guilty.
I realize this is meaningless in the context of you having to live with the law as it is, but is more of a rationale for why the law could be described as short-sighted and should be changed.
Hehe yeah. And I agree, hopefully it'll get adjusted soon.
Dashcams are ilegal in Portugal or better it's a very grey area. A police officer can confiscate it if he wants.

On the other hand you have 20.000 teslas driving around that record from every possible angle 24/7...

I see a long legal battle ahead of me if some authority goes after me for having a dashcam because I simply won't accept it.

Dashcam footage has even been accepted in courts to prove crimes (the penal code supersedes privacy rights) but not "acidents" or "infractions". Depends on the judge really.
The ADAC has an overview/guide for driving through Europe with a a dashcam and yeah, for Portugal, you should take if off.
And people say Germany would be too strict o_O

Last edited:
Back