A139 Pro Test & Review PP

Noticeable - maybe. Might depend on the scene.
While it will be noticable, it is unlikely to affect plate readability.
A bit of blockiness in the sky is not a big problem for most people.
And it probably needs some trees around, or high speed before it becomes blocky.

By the time you get down to 30Mb/s for 4K it is definitely affecting the detail most of the time.

For those that are looking for image perfection, the A139 Pro is probably not your dashcam, the A139 was designed more as a taxi-cam, where a memory card should preferably record for a week before filling up! Wait for the A229 Pro if image quality is the most important, and don't expect 3 channels from it.

I feel like there are data transfer issues with 2 4k streams to one SD card.
There are faster uSD memory cards available that use the UHS-II interface.
But there is no reason that a dash cam can't use two memory cards.

IMX675 is very new...Likely has not even reached mass production yet and is still a sample product.
It is still on version 0.1, unlike IMX662 which is on version 1.0, and IMX678 which is on version 2.0 and has therefore had multiple revisions/silicon tapeouts.

IMX662 is more likely than IMX675...which is more likely than IMX664...which is more likely than IMX678 for the A229 Pro for the rear.
IMX327 was the true successor to the IMX291 but very few companies adopted it and most of them skipped it or stayed with IMX291 due to pricing.

They don't really have to go with IMX675 either. They can also use IMX664 which has a larger pixel size.
If they go with IMX664 for the rear, that will certainly future proof the dashcam for many years to come...

View attachment 63059
I agreed with you using the IMX664 for the rear is a good solution.

Last year we have used the IMX347 for front cam, but we found this sensor is too expensive, and daytime video quality is not great, so we don't release this model finally.

I agreed with you using the IMX664 for the rear is a good solution.

Last year we have used the IMX347 for front cam, but we found this sensor is too expensive, and daytime video quality is not great, so we don't release this model finally.
Would you be open to a video interview sometime talking about what it's like designing dashcams? I'd love to hear more about your perspective regarding design choices, sensor selection, balancing price vs. performance vs. sales, etc. :)

30 Minutes After Sunset - A139 Pro / A229 / A129 Pro

A139 Pro;
Firmware: V1.0_1115
Resolution: (3840 x 2160P) 30fps
Bitrate: Maximum
HDR: ON (default)
CPL Filter: OFF

A229;
Firmware: V1.1_1010
Resolution: (2560 x 1440P) 30fps
WDR: OFF (default)

A129 Pro;
Firmware: V2.9 20220902

I think the day they finally get off the micro SD cards for storage, we also see stronger SOC that can run any attached sensor at significant bitrates.
As a consequence of that, unit size will grow, probably necessitate a larger main unit to be placed not on the widescreen, with a larger more capable heat sink.
And then i will finally see the dashcams i have been dreaming off for so many years.

License Plate Readability Test - A139 Pro vs. A229 vs. A129 Pro

A139 Pro;

A229;
Firmware: V1.1_1010
Resolution: (2560 x 1440P) 30fps

A129 Pro;
Firmware: V2.9 20220902

Thanks for posting up some comparison testing!

What are everyone's thoughts on testing HDR dashcams vs. WDR dashcams? Ideally I'd love to test HDR vs. HDR, but different cameras do it differently...

Seeing the same comments and videos under every camera title started to feel totally deja vu.
therefore, it may be more appropriate to share it only under the topic on the agenda.

cameras can be tested with the hdr and wdr options turned off. If the a229 is to be tested with 4k cameras, the a139 pro and a129 pro resolution must be 2k so that it can create equal conditions.

If the a229 is to be tested with 4k cameras, the a139 pro and a129 pro resolution must be 2k so that it can create equal conditions.
No! A dashcam should be tested at default setting or at its best resolution. The only thing can be lowered is the FPS. But never the resolution. If I will make a side by side comparison of A139 Pro with A129, why is the reason to pay double money to have 4K resolution instead of Full HD if the valid test is only at Full HD? Why to lose details offered by 4K which are not available at Full HD?
IMX675 is very new...Likely has not even reached mass production yet and is still a sample product.
Time will tell... :alien::alien::alien:
devices with onboard LCD,
Most of Viofo dashcams are with LCD. Right now there are only 2 versions without LCD. Will be more than 2 for sure.
I would gladly pay $400 to $500 USD for a high quality dash cam
Most of the people will not pay that money. I have a guess that the most expensive Viofo dashcams have not big sales compared to the cheaper models. There is some price level where Viofo is not a strong enough brand to make good sales. If for example on the A139 Pro is printed Sony instead of Viofo it will sell very very well even at $500 and much better than Viofo at half price.
Thanks for posting up some comparison testing!

What are everyone's thoughts on testing HDR dashcams vs. WDR dashcams? Ideally I'd love to test HDR vs. HDR, but different cameras do it differently...
For me, right now, there are two HDR types:
1. Clear HDR of Starvis 2
2. No matter what. If other HDR or WDR, just doesn't matter the name of it and the technology.

In 2023 no matter the brand name, the WDR or HDR solution, if it is not Starvis 2 it is not interesting at all for me. I would not even not look at the other specs or price. Even I will receive one for free I will not use it, I will pay the money for a Starvis 2. I am living in Europe in a country with big and reflective car license plates.

A139 Pro;
Can you share the original video of this?

Last edited:
No! A dashcam should be tested at default setting or at its best resolution. The only thing can be lowered is the FPS. But never the resolution. If I will make a side by side comparison of A139 Pro with A129, why is the reason to pay double money to have 4K resolution instead of Full HD if the valid test is only at Full HD? Why to lose details offered by 4K which are not available at Full HD?

Of course, it can be tested at the highest performance a camera gives. but comparing cameras with unique technology and resolutions is another.
So testing is one thing, comparing is another.

The overpayment thing is another dimension. For example, a119 v3 outperforms a229 front camera. Since the new one is a229, it has a voice notification feature, a larger screen, a second camera can be added.. it all depends on the preferences of the people. We can exemplify this with the a119 mini.

It makes sense that the comparison is the same technology and the same resolution. In terms of price, there is no rule that the expensive is always the best. There may be exceptions.

If the a229 is to be tested with 4k cameras, the a139 pro and a129 pro resolution must be 2k so that it can create equal conditions.
If we were comparing "resolution" you would be correct.
However we are comparing HDR capability at night time.
So, 4K, 2K, 1080P is inconsequential.
-Chuck

Can you share the original video of this?
I prefer to use YouTube because that's what I'm familiar with.
But I understand the need for RAW FILE so you guys can analyze it better.
I'm always confused how to upload, or share a raw file.
Viofo uses something called "Wet Transfer", I tried it before and it took 15 minutes to upload a 1 minute clip from my A229 (200MB).
These 1 minute clips from the A139 Pro are 437MB. Yikes
Can you recommend a better way to upload, or post raw files to DashCamTalk?
-Chuck

If we were comparing "resolution" you would be correct.
However we are comparing HDR capability at night time.
So, 4K, 2K, 1080P is inconsequential.
-Chuck

We are actually saying the same thing.
It would be more accurate to compare HDR technology with cameras that support HDR.

It would be more accurate to compare HDR technology with cameras that support HDR.
All cameras have "Dynamic Range".
Some low, some high.
That is what we are comparing. lol

Can’t Read Moving License Plates At Night

Until last night all of my A139 Pro HDR testing, and license plate readability testing has involved fixed objects. That means the camera was stationary, and the target subject (license plate). After reading @rcg530 post about him having trouble capturing moving license plates at night;

I decided to try to duplicate his test footage examples. I spent 2 hours driving around, and I got 90 minutes of good examples of night time, oncoming traffic, front license plate, 2-lane road, 25mph - 40mph (40km/h - 64km/h). As I was driving around I was keeping a mental count of how may license plates that were perfectly illuminated by my bright LED headlights, and were 100% readable with my own eyes siting in the driver’s seat. I counted 50-75 examples. I was so excited to review my test footage from my A139 Pro, A229, and A129 Pro mounted on my front windshield. To my dismay the A139 did not capture a single license plate that was moving faster than parking lot speeds, (5mph).

I found examples where the A139 Pro was able to perfectly capture plates that the A229, and A129 Pro could not. However these were at times when my car was not moving, and the target subject was moving very slowly. I plan to go out again, and turn off HDR, and even try 2K (2560 x 1440) 60fps to see if that makes any difference.

Why are RCG530, and myself having such difficulty capturing moving license plates at night, when we can see clear examples from MTZ, TonyM, Nigel, and others? I don’t know, maybe US American plates are smaller?
Here are some test clips from the A139 Pro;

I prefer to use YouTube because that's what I'm familiar with.
But I understand the need for RAW FILE so you guys can analyze it better.
I'm always confused how to upload, or share a raw file.
Viofo uses something called "Wet Transfer", I tried it before and it took 15 minutes to upload a 1 minute clip from my A229 (200MB).
These 1 minute clips from the A139 Pro are 437MB. Yikes
Can you recommend a better way to upload, or post raw files to DashCamTalk?
-Chuck
Google Drive link.
Upload the video to your Google Drive, and make sure the share settings for the file you want to share is "Anyone with the link". Then share the link to the file here.

All cameras have "Dynamic Range".
Some low, some high.
That is what we are comparing. lol

Yes. The funny thing is, if you compare cameras with wdr support and a139 pro with hdr support, it's not a comparison if hdr is active in a139 Pro and wdr is off in others. so comparing hdr test to another device with wdr or hdr turned off is one thing.

Fortunately there are only a139 pro videos in your comment above and it is the test you have done as a "plate reading test" by activating the hdr.

meanwhile i have to write for all users; The test images, which are examined according to the headlight types of the vehicles, may differ. This includes not only the above videos, but also other videos.
Legibility may vary depending on halogen xenon or LED headlight types and the shape of the cut line available due to the headlight structure.
In addition, in headlights that do not use a bulb suitable for the headlight design and have a strong lumen value and reflect it by dispersing it, the readability may vary positively or negatively depending on the angle and proximity of the light reflected on the plate. Another value is that the license plate of the vehicles on the diagonal can be read and read thanks to the light of the vehicle behind it.

if you compare cameras with wdr support and a139 pro with hdr support, it's not a comparison if hdr is active in a139 Pro and wdr is off in others
As soon as @Mtz finishes his double espresso he's going to come in here and tell you something like;
"WDR and HDR does not matter. Only STARVIS 2 and all other cameras that came before. This post should be delete".
Lmao

Reactions: Mtz
Sharing raw footage can be done thru googles drive, i think Microsoft also have something like that, and there are services like MEGA

It is a little hit & miss how these services work, some have a traffic cap ASO.
So i prefer to just share upon request and only for a while before i would take down the footage.

If HDR can be made to work properly it is my firm belief that it can do a lot of good for dashcams, but it have to be same time exposures like Sonys Clear HDR, frames grabbed one after the other and then stitched together are no good though it can also work as we have seen.
Next up i would like to see global shutter in dashcam sensors VS rolling shutter, i think this might also be of good use for us.

I do like burst photography where you compose 1 picture out if many pictures each taken with slightly different parameters ( EV value ) this can turn a bland picture into something awesome, but it require some work in software that can do such things.
I have never played much with the actual HRD option in my Nikon camera or phone camera.

But again it pretty much have to be pictures of static things as it do take a while for a camera to snap 5 different pictures, and not least if you are already in low light where each photo take longer for natural reasons.

Back