A229 Duo No Power Through GPS Module

TyroViofo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After about a month my A229 Duo no longer works with the hardwire kit powering it through the GPS module.

I have confirmed there is power through the hardwire kit and that if the power is connected to the camera directly, then the camera works.

However, the hardwire kit is wired in a way that the cable cannot connect to the camera so I really need the power transfer through the GPS module.

Is this a known issue?

How can I rectify the problem?

I have contacted VIOFO customer services and submitted a ticket so I will post again with their reply but I just thought this might be a known issue.

Welcome to the forum Tyro.

There was some issues with older Viofo mounts a while back ( year / years ) , as i recall mainly due to the pins that pass on the power and GPS info to the camera, the work around back then was to just plug into the camera as it can power the GPS module " backwards "
Is it your wire that can not reach over to the camera plug ? The wire should generally be plenty long, but if you had it installed surplus wire might be bundled up at the hard wire kit, and not just shoved on top of the headliner.

I have a A229 duo but it is no longer mounted in my car, but i used the normal power thru the mount with no issues for the year or so i ran it.

Hi Kamkar, thank you for your welcome.

The choke on the power cable is very close to the plug and currently resides, just, inside the mounting plate cover for the rear view mirror (2017 Ford Galaxy). If I were to extend the cable to reach the other side of the camera then the choke couldn't remain hidden inside the cover. Being in the UK the car is a RHD, which can cause all sorts of issues with mounting dash cams. I cannot abide having excess, ugly wires dangling about the car, especially in the windscreen.

Besides, the unit is designed to operate with power supplied through the GPS module.

I have to live with sort of a bird nest of cables on my windscreen as a tester / addict with multiple systems in the car, but if i was a plain Joe user i would for sure not like excess wires.
Actually it can be illegal here in Denmark, you cant have anything dangling from your mirror for instance not even a string of dental floss, though this is a law no one care about and least of all the police that have no time / manpower for such things.
you can try and fiddle a little with the spring loaded pins that connect the camera and mount, to see if it can give you a temporary fix, but you will probably need a new mount.

Thanks for the advice, Kamkar, that was going to be my next action.

I have opened a ticket with VIOFO, so let's see what they have to say.

After about a month my A229 Duo no longer works with the hardwire kit powering it through the GPS module.

I have confirmed there is power through the hardwire kit and that if the power is connected to the camera directly, then the camera works.

However, the hardwire kit is wired in a way that the cable cannot connect to the camera so I really need the power transfer through the GPS module.

Is this a known issue?

How can I rectify the problem?

I have contacted VIOFO customer services and submitted a ticket so I will post again with their reply but I just thought this might be a known issue.
First, try connecting the A229 with the long cable from the kit through the converter from the car's cigarette lighter through the GPS module, and then directly into the A229 case. To exclude/confirm a malfunction of the GPS module.

Back