A229 Plus Crackle on bumps/acceleration to highway speed

aldksgo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I had a post a few weeks back regarding the CPL adjustment which went fine.

I realize now that after having re-mounted my A229, I experience crackling sometimes in the audio. Most notably, when I'm merging on the highway or on a crap road. Car definitely is loud and has it's own rattles, but this crackle/rattle is for sure different and didn't happen before.

Here's a clip, and yes I'm aware it's pointing to the heavens. I re-adjusted the CPL again and forgot to adjust the angle lol. Sorry for the bad clip it's the only one I have atm but I can get a better one after.

Not sure what might be causing this?

When I shake the camera, I don't hear anything loose. I've re-mounted the dash to the mount and it feels snug. In the clip you can hear me fidget with it but it's a way different crackle noise. I've also made sure the wires coming from the above headliner are pretty snug, but I'm not convinced it is or isn't related.

One more thing.. Why is it my dash cam time progressively gets behind by an hour or two after setting it to the correct time?

TIA

If you want help, turn off all sounds in the car and close the windows before filming the video.
One more thing.. Why is it my dash cam time progressively gets behind by an hour or two after setting it to the correct time?
You need to set the correct time zone that matches your region.

Can you upload a 3 minute DRIVING clip of both the front & rear cameras?
With lens angle adjusted correctly of course.

Also, can you upload a 1 minute DRIVING clip with the microphone turned OFF?
Just curious what will happen.

And record a clip holding the front camera in your hand shaking it, (use a powerbank, and different power cable).

If you want help, turn off all sounds in the car and close the windows before filming the video.

You need to set the correct time zone that matches your region.
Windows not open but thanks anyways lol.

Timezone is correct and no matter what I do, it goes back an hour eventually.

Can you upload a 3 minute DRIVING clip of both the front & rear cameras?
With lens angle adjusted correctly of course.

Also, can you upload a 1 minute DRIVING clip with the microphone turned OFF?
Just curious what will happen.

And record a clip holding the front camera in your hand shaking it, (use a powerbank, and different power cable).
I'll see about doing that. I need to get up to speed for it to start crackling it seems. It doesn't happen on residential for example.

For the mic OFF, did you want it on the same road when it should be doing the crackling?

For the mic OFF, did you want it on the same road when it should be doing the crackling?
Yes, please also turn off the radio.

Your incorrect time issue may be due to daylight savings time.
Just adjust the time zone -1.

Yes, please also turn off the radio.

Your incorrect time issue may be due to daylight savings time.
Just adjust the time zone -1.
I’m going to go out and get the clips.

Not sure how I’d power the camera though and hold it? I only see the power to the gps mount

Not sure how I’d power the camera though and hold it? I only see the power to the gps mount
The rear camera input is also the power input when not using the GPS Mount.
Just use a power bank, and a separate power cable.

The rear camera input is also the power input when not using the GPS Mount.
Just use a power bank, and a separate power cable.
Perfect. Let me get that real quick just got back and I’ll upload what I’ve got.

Shake test

Drive test with sound on
NOTE: I hear it on regular streets sometimes, depending on bumps as well? Let me know if you want a normal driving clip. This road I just know I can reproduce the issue.

Drive test sound OFF (same road)

Almost all the crackle I can hear is when you are touching the camera.
Is that what you don't like, or is there something when you are not touching the camera?

I can sometimes hear a wire vibrating, or something of the sort, and occasionally there is some clipping when the engine noise suddenly increases, but nothing I would consider incorrect...

You must be missing it then. I do touch the camera sometimes to see if something is shaking, but I don't have 3 hands. I can't hold my steering wheel and shift when it's crackling.

At 1:53 in the sound on video, I downshift and you can hear the crackling immediately. By the end of 1:58, after I lift off, it also crackles. This is the sound I'm wondering about. It just also happens when I try to "press" the camera down, you can hear two sounds happening at that point (me touching, and the crackle).

If the crackling is normal though, it is what it is. I have a video where it's nowhere as noticeable all the while going much faster on the same road while logging for my calibration. That's why I'm a bit confused :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the clips.
That was a good shake test.
I guess there is nothing loose inside the camera.

I hear the noise at 1:56

But, I don’t know what it is.
I’m stumped.

Thanks for the clips.
That was a good shake test.
I guess there is nothing loose inside the camera.

I hear the noise at 1:56

But, I don’t know what it is.
I’m stumped.

Honestly I'm not so sure either! I thought maybe something was loose, but shake test showed otherwise.

I also tried to press down on the camera sometimes, sorry about that, during my clips to see if it would mitigate but the sound of me touching the camera and the crackling still appeared.

I'm hardwired to my fuse box inside, and my wires run through my A pillar and through headliner like most and it seems pretty snug? Not much if any play available..

It seems to have somehow become more noticeable after I took off the camera from the GPS mount to adjust my CPL. I had it on super incorrectly, as per my other thread, so I took it off.

I have a comparison video pre CPL where it seems to be less noticeable? Maybe it's the CPL? It's on there snug though. Not the greatest example though as I have sound still playing

Still needs to be on the left, because the telephoto camera needs to be mounted to the left possible most of the windshield. 1:53 in the sound on video, I downshift and you can hear the crackling immediately. By the end of 1:58, after I lift off, it also crackles.
OK, that makes it clear what you are listening to.

I'm pretty sure it is something rattling. Someone had a similar sound from their CPL, I've had a similar noise from the buttons on other cameras. The way to find it is probably to put some sticky tape on anything that might rattle until it disappears, then you know what it was. I might start with removing the CPL though.

I think it is in or on the camera, but don't ignore things around the camera, like cables and the mirror.

OK, that makes it clear what you are listening to.

I'm pretty sure it is something rattling. Someone had a similar sound from their CPL, I've had a similar noise from the buttons on other cameras. The way to find it is probably to put some sticky tape on anything that might rattle until it disappears, then you know what it was. I might start with removing the CPL though.

I think it is in or on the camera, but don't ignore things around the camera, like cables and the mirror.
Hey Nigel,

No worries!

I think I might try another test run with no carplay playing music next time with the CPL off to see. It seems snug, but maybe it's not as snug as I think it might be?

Honestly, not the biggest deal in the world. My car rattles a lot as you can hear, and we all know how hard it can be to chase rattles :D

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts though everyone!

Back