A229 Pro Disappointment

Right, and with these niche products and tiny markets, it’s mostly smaller companies with much more limited resources who are working to create products for us. Given we’re all used to cell phone cameras from Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. it’s totally natural to see that as a baseline frame of reference, but it really is a different world.

I’m glad that we have some companies making these things for us in the first place.

Does anyone know how big different dashcam companies are?

I know most radar detector companies have multiple engineers on board, but one company has literally just one engineer total which is kinda wild. One company I’ve spoken to says that people always overestimate how big the company is. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that dashcam companies are pretty small too.

It would be pretty cool if Apple or Sony would design and produce dash cams but I think that is unlikely because the dash cam market is just too small for it to be worth the investment to them. Unlike smartphones, laptops, tablets and smartwatches, dash cams are still a niche market even though they've become much more popular in recent years.

In 2022, 1749.7 million smartphone units were sold worldwide, which means 21.9% of the global population (8 billion people) purchased a mobile phone in 2022.

According to Fortune Business Insights, the global dash camera market size was .35 billion USD in 2022 projected to grow from $0.40 billion in 2023 to $1.93 billion by 2030 which is a tiny fraction of the sales of smartphones sold globally. According to The Business Research Company the global market for dash cams was 3.1 billion USD globally in 2022, so go figure, but either way it is a fraction of the size of the smartphone market.

I couldn't find any info about how many dash cam owners there are in the world.
gees, the dash cam market will grow by approx 5 times what it is now, in 7 years.
1.9 billion divided by $300 per dashcam... is 6.3 million dashcam owners.
Hmm, thought there would be more than that. Is my math right?
If so, there are a few billion nutcases who are driving around without a dash cam who need one...lol :LOL:

...$300 per dashcam... is 6.3 million dashcam owners.
Hmm, thought there would be more than that. Is my math right?...
I suspect the average price paid per camera is less than $300. That based on most dash cams I've seen 'in the wild' have been single camera, suction cup mounted - admittedly not anywhere near an accurate survey.

I just did a Google search on 'dash cam' in the 'Shopping' category and the first 10 listings average to about $210, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
I do think many first time dashcam adopters start with a fairly cheap system.

gees, the dash cam market will grow by approx 5 times what it is now, in 7 years.
1.9 billion divided by $300 per dashcam... is 6.3 million dashcam owners.
Hmm, thought there would be more than that. Is my math right?
If so, there are a few billion nutcases who are driving around without a dash cam who need one...lol :LOL:

It's already been pointed out that not all dash cams sell for $300, but there is other data needed that makes it impossible to calculate how many owners there are. For example, some people own more than one vehicle with a dash cam, many are in fleet vehicles, plus some people have a car plus a motorcycle with a camera, or just a motorcycle camera or whatever. It's like how some people have more than one smartphone or a corporation may purchase hundreds or thousands. You would really need a lot of basically unavailable data to accurately calculate how many individual owners there are based on how much is spent on dash cams every year and an estimated price per camera.

P.S. Plus there are quite a few people out there like us that may own many dash cams! I have 5 cameras in my vehicle and a whole collection in a drawer. And the rest of you know who you are ! :D

P.S. Plus there are quite a few people out there like us that may own many dash cams!...
You promised to keep your spy cams out of my house. o_O ;)

At last count I have 3 systems installed in vehicles, 1 'temp camera' on an EZ-Pass suction mount for borrowed/rental vehicles, 2 or 3 more 'in a drawer' somewhere, and 5 that have been gifted to friends and family (I guess i don't 'have' them anymore). I think that accounts for all of them.

Do I have a problem? Is there a '12-step' program for me? :)

I think some of you guys might find this very interesting. Late last night at about midnight I mentioned The Business Research Company in one of my posts. I had seen a quote from them in an article with data I then mentioned in my post. The BRC produces very expensive in-depth reports for corporations and industry insiders that can afford it about a wide variety of industries. I was able to find their report on the global dash camera market. While we don't have access to their full 281 page report that costs $4000 dollars, the description and table of contents of the report is fascinating enough and detailed enough in itself that you might enjoy having a look at it. Many companies are listed, some that we know well and many we've never heard of. Curiously, the Mobius Actions Cam gets a mention, as does BlackBoxMyCar and Vantrue but Viofo doesn't.

dash cam market.jpg

https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/dashboard-camera-market

I think some of you guys might find this very interesting...
Interesting, yes. They did mention, more than once, that growth of the dash cam market was to be 'propelled' by the increased sales of electric/hybrid vehicles without any explanation of how they came to that conclusion. :unsure:

Interesting, yes. They did mention, more than once, that growth of the dash cam market was to be 'propelled' by the increased sales of electric/hybrid vehicles without any explanation of how they came to that conclusion. :unsure:

I guess you'll need to fork over $4000 for the answer to that question. ;) :smuggrin:

Part of me is thinking that the cams will be just the camera itself and the recording box will be in the Electric Vehicle? Similar to blackvue box. Maybe because of the huge batteries in EV's it is easier to have parking mode etc?

Last edited:
I think some of you guys might find this very interesting. Late last night at about midnight I mentioned The Business Research Company in one of my posts. I had seen a quote from them in an article with data I then mentioned in my post. The BRC produces very expensive in-depth reports for corporations and industry insiders that can afford it about a wide variety of industries. I was able to find their report on the global dash camera market. While we don't have access to their full 281 page report that costs $4000 dollars, the description and table of contents of the report is fascinating enough and detailed enough in itself that you might enjoy having a look at it. Many companies are listed, some that we know well and many we've never heard of. Curiously, the Mobius Actions Cam gets a mention, as does BlackBoxMyCar and Vantrue but Viofo doesn't.

View attachment 69529

https://www.thebusinessresearchcompany.com/report/dashboard-camera-market
Holy crap, 19.7% growth. That is good for any business.

Lmao in that report of the mention of the Nextbase IQ

Apart from Garmin, interesting to see the major players mentioned as being in the market. Guessing those are the ones that make integrated dashcams for e.g. BMW, Hyundai etc?

I guess you'll need to fork over $4000 for the answer to that question. ;) :smuggrin:

Yes thanks @DT MI for forking out the 4k and taking one for the team. We all salute you..lol
Um, yah - that's not gonna happen. o_O

In giving a little thought to the matter I suspect the relationship between the two is more coincidental than causal. Automotive electrification and dash cam growth just happen to be experiencing natural growth at the same time independent of one another.

Last edited:
Last edited:
lol... That'd be awesome if one day $4,000 could be considered pocket change. :p

That's a great article though! It was interesting to see that they found that 1CH dashcams were the most popular (70% of the market) with 3CH dashcams being the fastest growing segment. Not too surprising.

Basic dashcams are also 70% of the market with smart dashcams being the fastest growing segment. I could see that.

Back