A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Indeed.
Of course cooling the walls of a room / box ( assuming they are not insulated ) will also make it colder inside the room / box, but the candle in the middle of the room will still burn just as hot.

I think it is better to focus on M2 storage for dashcams, and you can get those with a heat sink, or have some heat sink like clamp down on it.

If i was in Dashcams my people today would not be thinking very much on memory cards, we would be focussing on moving on with image quality and what not. " My " dashcams would at least have a bitrate 1/3 higher than the competition.

I think most of the heat is probably removed through the contacts, so the heatsink probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but when you are near the limit, a 1 degree difference can be the difference between working and not working, so it is nice to see it there. Memory cards do get quite hot, some a lot hotter than others, which may be one reason why Viofo has a don't use list!

O yeah.

I remember in my Overclocking days, often a few MHZ of CPU speed with be the difference between a rock stady computer, and one that would hardly boot.
And that was probably not a temperature thing, but just speed at the ragged edge, like take a 1800 MHZ CPU and run it at 2500 MHZ, thats a substantial boost in speed with a 33% overclock, and if you had to pay for a CPU at that speed from the factory back then i would not be able to pay that much for a CPU.

I also remember when RAM modules was suddenly available with a heat sink, often like now a very basis heat sink, today you be hard pressed to find RAM modules with no heat sink.
Your fancy fast M2 drive, well if it do not get adequate cooling somehow, under intensive load it will also suddenly throttel its read / write speeds to protect itself, though i am not sure if a simple memory card would do the same, i dont think so.

Last edited:
Let’s get ready to rumble.
I just got done reconfiguring my scrap wood test rig.
I felt a sigh of relief getting the Vantrue S1 Pro off my rig, and some “real” cameras on for testing.
A229 Pro 3-CH ...Novatek 96529 (IMX678) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A229 Plus 3-CH ..Novatek 96580 (IMX675) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A139 Pro 1-CH ...Novatek 96687 (IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 .........Novatek 96580 (IMX675)
Sorry @Jeff_Vantrue but based on what I’m seeing Vantrue is just not ready for Prime Time yet.
The first order of business is to check cold & hot focus to make sure the cameras don’t lose focus after getting up to operating temperature after running for a few hours, so we can avoid the debacle of the A119 Mini 2.
Right now the A229 Pro & A229 Plus are cooking.
In a few hours I’ll take some thermal photographs to check for any differences since they’re now both at the same ambient temp.
Place your bets, how much cooler do you think the A229 Plus will be compared to the A229 Pro?
My guess is 15℉ (9℃) degrees cooler.

1 .jpg
2 .jpg
3 .jpg

Boy, do I love the voice commands for turning On/Off the Wi-Fi it sure comes in handy.

Last edited:
I felt a sigh of relief getting the Vantrue S1 Pro off my rig, and some “real” cameras on for testing.
Sorry @Jeff_Vantrue but based on what I’m seeing Vantrue is just not ready for Prime Time yet.
The first order of business is to check cold & hot focus to make sure the cameras don’t lose focus after getting up to operating temperature after running for a few hours, so we can avoid the debacle of the A119 Mini 2.
In a few hours I’ll take some thermal photographs to check for any differences since they’re now both at the same ambient temp.
Place your bets, how much cooler do you think the A229 Plus will be compared to the A229 Pro?

View attachment 67862
View attachment 67863
View attachment 67864

Boy, do I love the voice commands for turning On/Off the Wi-Fi it sure comes in handy.

Throwing wild guesses out there but 7 degrees Celsius cooler. Loving the rig!

@LateralNW @Agie
Well no wonder the A229 Pro weighs 1 oz. more than the Original A229 Duo.
They installed a huge 1 oz. heat sink.
Geez, that thing looks massive.
This was my first time taking apart a Viofo dash cam, and I’m kind of impressed how sturdy the components feel, and the screws have “precision” feel to them.
I’m almost sure I can put them back together without any damage.
Oh yeah, it looks like they relocated the Wi-Fi Antenna.

View attachment 67829
View attachment 67830
View attachment 67831
View attachment 67832
View attachment 67833
View attachment 67834

Thanks for photos it's quite telling.
At first I didn't realise your photos are of two different A229's

Very clear photos nice work.

That heat sink and its position and shape is very telling the work Viofo have put into the A229 Pro.

Your photo looks like it answers my question about some form of heat relief for the sdcard. It looks like the heat sink covers the card which is a clever economical way to help reduce heat stress I expect.

The capacitors while I can't read the values look like they maybe the newer 5.5v caps and the length might also mean larger capacity. This could show up when the power is removed you'll notice the Dashcam will take just a little longer to shut down.

in your photo 2.jpg it looks like either the backing plate is covered with emf shielding or maybe a form of heat shield to protect or prevent the gps mount interfering with the internal or vice versa.

These photos make me think this Dashcam will be the new standard that others try to rise too.

Cheers

At first I didn't realise your photos are of two different A229's
Three's Company;

Very clear photos
$150 iPhone SE 2020, (it's the only camera I got). lol

A229 Pro 3-CH ...Novatek 96529 (IMX678) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A229 Plus 3-CH ..Novatek 96580 (IMX675) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A139 Pro 1-CH ...Novatek 96687 (IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 .........Novatek 96580 (IMX675)

View attachment 67862
View attachment 67863
View attachment 67864

I'm expecting the A229 Pro to run cooler than the A229 Plus.

Ages back I made a simple rig using the packing box Viofo has sent the dashcam in.

Back then two camera Dashcams weren't very common so I wanted to compare front against rear camera.
I took it outside and let it film the night sky and my cctv IR camera.

nT7mszr.png

Preliminary Heat Comparison - A229 Pro vs. A229 Plus
Garage Ambient Temp: 80℉ (26℃)
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Normal Recording Mode
Pro V1.0 0926 3-CH 4K + 2K + 1080p
Plus V1.0 0922 3-CH 2K + 2K + 1080p
Bitrate: Maximum
IR LED: ON
Pro SD Card: Viofo 512GB
Plus SD Card: Viofo 256GB
Loop Record: 1 Minute
Pro Hottest Temp: 166℉ (74℃)
Plus Hottest Temp: 138℉ (58℃)
Difference: 28℉ (16℃)

1 Pro .jpg 2 Plus .jpg
3 Pro .jpg 4 Plus .jpg
5 Pro .jpg 6 Plus .jpg
7 Pro .jpg 8 Plus .jpg

Attachments

• 9 .png
    9 .png
    167.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 10 .png
    10 .png
    166.8 KB · Views: 32
Preliminary Heat Comparison - A229 Pro vs. A229 Plus
Garage Ambient Temp: 80℉ (26℃)
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Normal Recording Mode
Pro V1.0 0926 3-CH 4K + 2K + 1080p
Plus V1.0 0922 3-CH 2K + 2K + 1080p
Bitrate: Maximum
IR LED: ON
Pro SD Card: Viofo 512GB
Plus SD Card: Viofo 256GB
Loop Record: 1 Minute
Difference: 28℉ (16℃)

View attachment 67877 View attachment 67878
View attachment 67879 View attachment 67880
View attachment 67881 View attachment 67882
View attachment 67883 View attachment 67884

Wow Plus looking very good

Can only imagine what temps the Pro would get up to here in Australia on a hot 45 Celsius day. Throw a parked black car out in the sun on top of that....

Based on those temperature figures it's possible to get first degree burns eg superficial burns.

What's it like when you touch them?

Based on those temperature figures it's possible to get first degree burns eg superficial burns.

Think they all get hot these days, it's hot to the touch for me with my Nexus 4 Pro and summer hasn't even hit yet. The hardware can handle the heat no issues but yeah some have concerns about the temperatures, which is warranted

Compared to all other heat testing I’ve done on Viofo dash cams these temps are “normal”.
We’ll have to wait till next year to see if parking mode in a hot car makes the LCD screen go all whackadoo like the original A229 Duo.

Compared to all other heat testing I’ve done on Viofo dash cams these temps are “normal”.
We’ll have to wait till next year to see if parking mode in a hot car makes the LCD screen go all whackadoo like the original A229 Duo.

I might be able to find out sooner;)

This post is for @Karagandinez
Q: Are the REAR & INTERIOR cameras of the A229 Pro interchangeable with the REAR & INTERIOR cameras of the A229 Plus?
A: Yes. I just confirmed, and verified by swapping the cameras.
I filmed, downloaded, and viewed the test footage.
Everything is fully functional.

Indoor Focus Check
Keep in mind I will follow up with an Outdoor focus check.
Take note how tiny the characters are in the text overlay at the bottom of the screen on the front camera compared to the others.
I’ve been complaining about this for the past 4 years, ever since the A129 Pro Duo was released October 2019
I always get the same response from Viofo;
“The smaller character size is due to the 4K resolution.”
That answer does not make any sense to me.
Does that mean when we get 8K cameras the characters will shrink even smaller?
I’m no engineer, or computer expert but this sounds like a lazy excuse, and it will take too much time, and effort to get the characters on the 4K cameras the same size as the 2K, and 1080p cameras.

1 .png
2 .png

Another Note:
It was explained to me the INTERIOR camera has a focal length that is designed to be used in a vehicle passenger compartment, (1 Meter).
Oh yeah, the IR LEDs are set to OFF for this check.

FRONT
Front .png
REAR
Rear .png
INTERIOR
Interior .png

Indoor Focus Check
Keep in mind I will follow up with an Outdoor focus check.
Take note how tiny the characters are in the text overlay at the bottom of the screen on the front camera compared to the others.
I’ve been complaining about this for the past 4 years, ever since the A129 Pro Duo was released October 2019
Does that mean when we get 8K cameras the characters will shrink even smaller?
I’m no engineer, or computer expert but this sounds like a lazy excuse, and it will take too much time, and effort to get the characters on the 4K cameras the same size as the 2K, and 1080p cameras.

View attachment 67930
View attachment 67931

Another Note:
It was explained to me the INTERIOR camera has a focal length that is designed to be used in a vehicle passenger compartment, (1 Meter).
Oh yeah, the IR LEDs are set to OFF for this check.

FRONT
View attachment 67932
REAR
View attachment 67933
INTERIOR
View attachment 67934
That's it, when we hit 8k, give up and get your grandchildren to read it out to you hahah

That is not entirely accurate, in fact it is nonsense. What they are saying is they do not care to do the code to scale for slightly larger, easily readable fonts. IMO

Back