A229 Pro, when?

If you want to film what is happening around the car, then you need to take rear cameras. Well, if it’s a salon, then everything is correct.

I'm confused about what @Augie's plan is. Does he want front/rear/side coverage or front/rear/ + interior front/rear shot from the right hand side of the vehicle. (which is what it sounds like.)

Hopefully @Augie will clarify what his goal is.

Here is what I will do with the dashcams. I have found that 3 channel dashcams run hot and often have issues, thus, I will put one A229 Pro as a Front Exterior with one IR Interior camera mounted at the interior, front right windshield, passenger side of the car. I will mount one A229 Pro as a Rear Exterior camera to film traffic behind the car. I will also mount one IR Interior camera at the left, rear glass, driver side of the car. I will have exterior filming of front and back of vehicle and interior views of interactions at both driver and passenger windows, as well as some activity that approaches from the outside left and right of vehicle.

A bit of overkill for most users but I can afford this and it keeps each A229 Pro as a 2 channel setup, which I hope keeps the heat down and reduces any failure of writes to the memory card.

A bit of overkill
Not overkill, anything less than 4 camera POV’s is negligent if you have the money.
This is an excellent idea to maintain maximum image quality, and reduce recording malfunctions from multiple channels, and overheating.
You may want to consider going with the REAR cameras instead of IR INTERIOR cameras.
Why?

1.) The A229 Pro in 2-CH configuration with INTERIOR camera reduces the Front camera’s Bitrate from 60Mbps to 36Mbps.
2.) The A229 Pro in 2-CH configuration with REAR camera maintains the Front camera’s Bitrate of 60Mbps.
3.) The REAR cameras are 2K instead of 1080p, (and STARVIS 2 instead of STARVIS 1).
Of course they don’t have IR LED Emitters so you won’t see anything at night unless to turn on your dome light.

Also, you may want to consider mounting both “remote” cameras near the front A pillars looking diagonally to the rear.
It’s useful showing when you merge on the highway, or change lanes.
Or to record a traffic stop by law enforcement when they approach from either side.
Or you could mount the camera on the rear window to show the passenger compartment, and you will get an equal view out the rear windows.
Here is what the POV’s it will look like.

1 .png
2 .png
3 .png

Here's what it looks like in motion;

Here is what I will do with the dashcams. I have found that 3 channel dashcams run hot and often have issues, thus, I will put one A229 Pro as a Front Exterior with one IR Interior camera mounted at the interior, front right windshield, passenger side of the car. I will mount one A229 Pro as a Rear Exterior camera to film traffic behind the car. I will also mount one IR Interior camera at the left, rear glass, driver side of the car. I will have exterior filming of front and back of vehicle and interior views of interactions at both driver and passenger windows, as well as some activity that approaches from the outside left and right of vehicle.

A bit of overkill for most users but I can afford this and it keeps each A229 Pro as a 2 channel setup, which I hope keeps the heat down and reduces any failure of writes to the memory card.
As Chuck said above, why the hell not. The more camera angles the better, whether it's police enforcement, a rear-ending or whatever.

Unfortunately last year I was rear-ended and only had the Viofo A119 v3 going as a front cam, no other cameras in the car. The audio did pick up the at-fault driver so that was useful. I still wish I had more angles of the prang though. So have a 3 channel setup at the moment with the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro, but kinda wanting a 4 channel setup now haha.

As Chuck said above, why the hell not. The more camera angles the better, whether it's police enforcement, a rear-ending or whatever.
Next month I have to take my car for annual government emission testing.
Guess where I'm going to stick my Viofo WM1?
(under the hood - engine bay). lol
This was 4 years ago, and all I had was a "gopro"

So you can pre order the dashcam bundle but none of the extras ie bluetooth button or hardwire kit, these have to be ordered seperatly?

@Panzer Platform , The A pillar/windscreen area is where they will go for sure. I will play with the angle to catch as much of each front window and
then cabin area as possible.

@Agie , your experience is exactly the reason for all the cameras. Drivers have gotten more aggressive and the police are using binoculars to see if
seatbelts are worn and if the driver is using a camera. I always wear a seatbelt and put my cell in the console when driving, but the Virginia State Police
and other police agencies are not particularly reputable. Drug trafficking at an all time high and they spend time looking for seat belt violations.

So you can pre order the dashcam bundle but none of the extras ie bluetooth button or hardwire kit, these have to be ordered seperatly?
Shop ‘till you drop.
I just put those items in my shopping cart, (see attached screenshot).
Keep in mind the A229 Pro & Plus now have voice commands, so the Bluetooth Remote Lock Button may not be necessary.
You can just bark; “LOCK VIDEO”.

Attachments

• Shop Till You Drop .png
    Shop Till You Drop .png
    139.6 KB · Views: 29
@Panzer Platform , The A pillar/windscreen area is where they will go for sure. I will play with the angle to catch as much of each front window and
then cabin area as possible.

@Agie , your experience is exactly the reason for all the cameras. Drivers have gotten more aggressive and the police are using binoculars to see if
seatbelts are worn and if the driver is using a camera. I always wear a seatbelt and put my cell in the console when driving, but the Virginia State Police
and other police agencies are not particularly reputable. Drug trafficking at an all time high and they spend time looking for seat belt violations.
That's it, you have to be prepared and drivers are just more lax and aggressive these days as you said. Unfortunate but that's the way it's all going :/

Not the micro MCX plugs, well at least if you intend to connect / disconnect all the time, here USB are much better.
The thin coaxial cables also mean you might put a strain on the small plug, pay attention and make sure you have no slack wire near the plugs.

I had a break into my car, the person destroyed many wires on the A 139 i was testing at the time, Okay that could also well happen with USB wires

Coaxial cables more better than USB cables. Better connectors, thinner cables.
Maybe so but in terms of interoperability and convenience, USB-C it is. The way the world is going.

Q) Can I expect to see a live view of the "interior" camera on the internal screen by default?

I don't need to see the front camera on the screen, because my eyes are just fine and the windshield is reasonably see-through!!!

My application would be to mount the "interior" camera behind the grille, aimed down, used as a parking aide so as to no mangle my front splitter on gutters etc.
(I also don't actually need to record the "interior" camera, in this application, but whatever).

My application would be to mount the "interior" camera behind the grille, aimed down, used as a parking aide so as to no mangle my front splitter on gutters etc.
(I also don't actually need to record the "interior" camera, in this application, but whatever).
Unless you can protect an interior camera from the weather when mounted behind your grill it will not likely last long as it is not waterproof.

Unless you can protect an interior camera from the weather when mounted behind your grill it will not likely last long as it is not waterproof.
You can assume that will be done.

And to answer the question?

Q) Can I expect to see a live view of the "interior" camera on the internal screen by default?

I don't need to see the front camera on the screen, because my eyes are just fine and the windshield is reasonably see-through!!!

Don't think there's many that allow you to give a live view of what the camera sees, when you are away from the vehicle. These would be Blackvue or Thinkware models.

Don't think there's many that allow you to give a live view of what the camera sees, when you are away from the vehicle. These would be Blackvue or Thinkware models.
The A139 Pro, that has no internal screen, makes reference in it's manual to live previews via the phone app.
So, I was wondering if that live view functionality would flow through to being available on the 229 Pro's screen.

Can't edit a post here for some reason... meant to include, from the A139 Pro manual:

Capture.JPG

Welcome.
Cross out the rear camera and you will have permissions for the main and interior cameras.

View attachment 67512

You are correct. I heard back from a support ticket to Viofo about resolution and something else. They replied "2610P 30fps(front)+1080P 30fps(IR)".

I am pretty sure they meant 2160P. :) They also advised to order the 2 channel version and simply state to "Switch rear camera to IR camera",
which is exactly what I want.

Now I need to come up with a power cord from the Rear External camera to the front fuse box.

I swear that VIOFO has the best customer service!

Back