A329 Improvement Wishlist

The A329 WiFi speed will be much faster than any other dashcam on the market, the iPhone is always slower than the Android phone for WiFi.

If you use a USB 3.0 cable and transfer the SSD files directly to iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max, the transfer speed is super fast.

So there are 3 solutions for video transfer to phone:

1. Using the WiFi with VIOFO app.
2. If using the Micro SD card, connect the camera to the phone using the side USB port. You can use a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cable, it is faster than WiFi, but the speed is limited by the SD card reading speed.
3. If using the SSD, connect the SSD directly to phones if supported.

The A329 WiFi speed will be much faster than any other dashcam on the market, the iPhone is always slower than the Android phone for WiFi.

If you use a USB 3.0 cable and transfer the SSD files directly to iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max, the transfer speed is super fast.

So there are 3 solutions for video transfer to phone:

1. Using the WiFi with VIOFO app.
2. If using the Micro SD card, connect the camera to the phone using the side USB port. You can use a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cable, it is faster than WiFi, but the speed is limited by the SD card reading speed.
This sounds exciting.
I can't wait to see some real world demos, or test it myself, and add it to my Viofo Data Transfer Speed Database thread.

more important is the cable to be designed in some way to not go out from the SSD when driving the car.
Maybe something like this for the SSD?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-14 6.52.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-14 6.52.49 PM.png
    552.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-09-14 6.52.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-14 6.52.56 PM.png
    782 KB · Views: 2
Pro:
1. larger storage capability, maybe up to 2TB
2. I consider that SSD connection was requested by some professional trucks, but I expect 90% of the SSD dashcams to be bought by people who want parking mode. (Buying a SSD dashcam with much storage capacity for Parking mode will make people ask Viofo for a power bank. I asked too more than 2 years ago, but still nothing from Viofo. Regarding Viofo power bank I made a special request to make a switch which will allow the car battery to be used after the power bank is depleted and dashcam to record until car battery reach 12 or 12.2V. This idea was not good received by Viofo even I consider it was great.)
3. working at ambiental temperature, the SSD is not feeling hot when keeping it in the hand. At least the Samsung T7 Shield.
4. I expect to be more durable than SD cards
5. no restriction from Viofo to buy only expensive cards like Viofo or Sandisk max endurance. Of course can be restrictions for SSD brands but the prices are not so different like is for professional cards
6. if you have also a card in the dashcam, if a problem with SSD, the dashcam will record on the card or if you forgot the SSD at home you can record on the card. Based on this idea, Viofo should offer the Viofo 32GB card in the box like they are doing with VS1. Having a recommended card this will stop people buying poor cards which will affect the dashcam behavior when SSD is not used. A Viofo with SSD should be the dashcam with the less returns or RMA. But if people will use windshield sun shaders will kill the Viofo A329 too, no matter the SSD usage or not.

Cons:
a.) you need to install the USB-C to USB-C wire from dashcam to the SSD. With card is more simple
b.) more money to pay because I expect the minimum SSD capacity bought to be 1TB
c.) if not properly designed, the cable will jump out from the SSD in some instals like SSD storage in the glove box and people who will search for something in the glove box will disconnect the cable by mistake. I don't know what will happen in the cable will be lossy in the SSD USB-C connector.

I expect people to not buy a SSD dashcam because of a. and b. But they don't know that the biggest problem for a dashcam is the card and card functionality is influenced also by the heat. Normally I would say that the biggest problem for a dashcam is the heat (and this is why is not acceptable to have 100mbps for a 4K video) but heat will affect also a SSD dashcam. But with a SSD dashcam, at least, that heat will not affect the storage.

Not forget that A229 has two processors, one on main unit and second on rear/telephoto camera.

So, a powerful dashcam should be small or big? Viofo are creating only passive cooling dashcams.
When I saw for the first time A229 I was saying it is big. When I mounted it I discovered that is not big. My personal advantage and for many others is that I have a black dotted area at the top of the windshield and on it I put the mount. What is going out from that zone is only about 1/3 of the dashcam and this is making a wedge dashcam the most hidden out of view solution (except dedicated cameras for each car model).
If I will mount A119 Mini and A229 side by side on that black dotted area you will not see big difference. And when you put a CPL lens on a wedge dashcam it will make it even more hidden. A329 will be the same as A229 but with a better processor and only 1CH or 2CH versions. For example I don't like the A139 for factor, but what I don't like the most from Viofo is that they included the stupid static films and because of them, some people with black dotted areas, instead of mounting the dashcam in a great place, they are using the stupid film mounting the dashcam in the middle of the windshield, making it very visible and overall an ugly install. For me is stupid, for other people that film is great. But do not destroy the dashcam install if you can mount the dashcam on the black dotted area.
Here are two examples (without static film) to understand how to poor mount a wedge dashcam when you car is great for wedge dashcams:
View attachment 73947 View attachment 73946

Yes! Like I wrote above, the biggest enemy of a dashcam is he heat. More than that, Viofo is using higher bitrates than competition and this will add even more stress to the processor. So, they are taking some risks to obtain the best image compared to other dashcams. But after some value the bitrate is obsolete. For a dashcam image the bitrate is correct when no macroblocks.

I think the data cable is special but more important is the cable to be designed in some way to not go out from the SSD when driving the car. Viofo was warned about this.

Again, very good decision from Viofo to not make the telephoto camera as 1K. On this forum was a big thread with FHD telephoto lens made by the users and at some moment Viofo told them that they will not follow that way. Their results were good against any CMOS, except IMX678 which was not released at that time. When IMX678 appeared, FHD telephoto was obsolete for Viofo. Like you said before, the 2K telephoto on IMX675 will be better than zoomed 4K of IMX678.
For an interior camera, when you already have 4K on front and 2K on rear, including HDR support, I don't know why to want more than 1K for interior, thinking that the distance for recording is from few centimeters, mayebe up to 1.5 meters in normal cases.

You know its impossible 2.3 seconds.
But 39 seconds for an 1GB video of 2 minutes at 4K can be OK?
I think two minutes will be more realistic at 800-900Mb HEVC and that's recording video even at 4K/60fps with a bitrate of 50MB/sec.

By your calculations transferring at 25MB/sec which is very low for any SSD. I'd say at least triple that and even that's conservative. Even on lower-specified cheaper SATA SSD it would easily surpass this speed. NVme SSD are cheaper now (can't remember if T7 is using NVMe but those speeds, it looks like it may be already), but still pretty much overkill for a dashcam - cheapest solution is respectable.

I personally would rather get SSD from a reputable brand rather than shoehorn M2 form factor inside an enclosure with a heatsink (if you get a poor heatsink). I suspect Viofo wouldn't cover this under warranty anyway as you're making it yourself. @Panzer Platform @kamkar

...... So, a powerful dashcam should be small or big? Viofo are creating only passive cooling dashcams.

...... Yes! Like I wrote above, the biggest enemy of a dashcam is he heat .....
For the Box design:
On the windshield it will be a small size, just a lens, like telephoto size with built-in microphone, we can even combine 4K + telephoto into one unite (dual lens) and it still will be much smaller and easy to hide.
Everything else will be in the Box hidden in the cabin, and the Box can be relatively large, it will be out of view and out of direct sunlight, it will have enough room for all the best hardware including better processors and integrated SSD (no cables would be needed for SSD), large passive or even temperature controlled active cooling is possible since the mic is integrated with the lens on windshield.

As for the current windshield mounted dash cams, the A229 size is OK, but I would prefer smaller A129 size.

As for the Telephoto, it is not a question of 2K or 1K, definitely 2K+HDR Telephoto, the problem wit the current implementation is that it takes the place of 2K rear camera and the rear camera moves in place of interior camera, which is only 1K (FHD), effectively downgrading the rear camera from 2K to 1K. (and we lose the interior camera)

the problem wit the current implementation is that it takes the place of 2K rear camera and the rear camera moves in place of interior camera, which is only 1K (FHD), effectively downgrading the rear camera from 2K to 1K. (and we lose the interior camera)
Why do you want a 2K rear camera?
Most dashcams have 1K rear cameras, and very few people complain...

The low light performance of the rear camera at night is more of a problem than the resolution, since car tail lights are very low brightness and it is hard for a normal rear camera to read the license plate behind unless you put your brake lights on, so maybe a super sensitive rear 1K camera with IR LEDs for illuminating plates is better than a normal 2K rear camera?

I prefer 2K rear resolution for daylight, but I have never actually needed that resolution, and more sensitivity would sometimes be good.

Reactions: Mtz
I expect people to not buy a SSD dashcam because of a. and b. But they don't know that the biggest problem for a dashcam is the card and card functionality is influenced also by the heat. Normally I would say that the biggest problem for a dashcam is the heat (and this is why is not acceptable to have 100mbps for a 4K video) but heat will affect also a SSD dashcam. But with a SSD dashcam, at least, that heat will not affect the storage.
The microSD card creates quite a lot of heat inside the camera case when it is being written to. If you use the external SSD then the microSD card will not be heating the camera, so the whole camera should be cooler. It will not be a big temperature difference, but enough to solve overheating problems in many places where the camera is operating at near the limit.

If the maximum bitrate or frame rate is higher for the external SSD then many people will want it for image quality, then the dashcam probably wont be any cooler because it will be doing more work!

Reactions: Mtz
Maybe something like this for the SSD?
Not possible because of:
1. the SSD doesn't have such hole, you can not attach a screw by default but if you will know the internals of the SSD you can put a screw. Complicated and not recommended.
2. If the USB-C connector will be straight and not angled you can not use such mount. I insisted very much to Viofo to make the USB-C cable connector as angled and in this way there are solutions to secure the connector on the SSD.
By your calculations transferring at 25MB/sec which is very low for any SSD. I'd say at least triple that and even that's conservative.
I edited my post because there I forgot to write that 25MBps transfer was using the Wi-Fi.
I don't know why people will want to transfer video files in the car in this way when the Wi-Fi data transfer is almost the same as the cable data transfer connected to the phone. I have a 4 years old Samsung Android 13 smartphone. Maybe the iPhone users will want cable transfer?
Just imagine that the dashcam is installed, the USB-C cable is popping short from the car roof and you will want to connect the data cable to the smartphone near the car roof and try there with both hands to keep the smartphone and press buttons on it for transfer. It is a big no for me.
Also I always lack on space on my smartphone, I will be not happy to transfer almost 1.5GB 2 minutes front and video recording. If I really want to transfer those 2 minutes, 100% I will use Wi-Fi transfer. If I will want to transfer more videos or search for some specific video between hundreds of recorded videos I will take the SSD at home an connect it to a PC.
For the Box design:
On the windshield it will be a small size, just a lens, like telephoto size with built-in microphone, we can even combine 4K + telephoto into one unite (dual lens) and it still will be much smaller and easy to hide.
Everything else will be in the Box hidden in the cabin,
Some time ago, Rick from Street Guardian, after many forum users told him that this will be a great solution, accepted to create such dashcam, the SG9663DR version. It had very very poor sales. So why to create a dashcam which will be used by 0.00001% of potential buyers. On a forum like this seems a good solution but in real life people will not buy it. Maybe if such model will be created for some professional truck transporters but for common people it is a big no for a manufacturer. I expect Viofo to not create such model.
As for the current windshield mounted dash cams, the A229 size is OK
So it will be OK also for A329.
As for the Telephoto, it is not a question of 2K or 1K, definitely 2K+HDR Telephoto, the problem wit the current implementation is that it takes the place of 2K rear camera and the rear camera moves in place of interior camera, which is only 1K (FHD), effectively downgrading the rear camera from 2K to 1K. (and we lose the interior camera)
If is definitely 2K+HDR telephoto, why to create a poor 1K+HDR telephoto? Just because some users already have A229 Pro 2CH and they just wanted to plug in 1K telephoto and obtain a placebo effect that the 1K zoom result to be the same or poorer than a zoom on the video of the front 4K image? People like to cheat themselves? The telephoto was not created for old customers but for the new customers. As Nigel wrote, people are not saying that 2K rear is fantastic and 1K is poor.
If the maximum bitrate or frame rate is higher for the external SSD then many people will want it for image quality, then the dashcam probably wont be any cooler because it will be doing more work!
I don't see a problem for the dashcam to run hot if it will dissipate the heat and not obstructed by the some stupid windshield sun shader. So if the camera doesn't have a problem with heat and the card problems because of heat are eliminated because using the SSD which is never going hot, then will be eliminated the biggest problem of the dashcam.
I remember I saw cases melted and buttons melted by the sun. In all cases the culprit was the sun shader. All! The case and buttons melted and the dashcams were still working in many cases.

Last edited:
An A139 style security bracket may not be practical or available right now for a dash cam SSD but there are secure mounting options that are available that could be very useful for mounting a small SSD in an automobile.

If it were me, I would mount a hard drive on the side of the center console transmission hump, perhaps down near the floor towards the firewall where it would be cooler, out of the sun and fairly well hidden. It could also be mounted directly on the underside of the dashboard. I don't think I would put a hard drive into a glove box. I would prefer that it reside in a location with a lot of air flowing around it, such as on the side of the center console.

These type of SSD brackets can be mounted in various ways using screws, 3M VHB tape, Dual Lock Fasteners or even a cold shoe mount. On this type of mount the knurled knobs for securing the drive and cable in place are locked with an Allen screw making the drive difficult to remove without an Allen wrench so they should be reasonably secure if the mount itself is securely attached.

These mounts are commonly used in professional photography and cinematography applications but could also work well if adapted for dash cam use.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-universal-holder-for-external-ssd-bsh2343.html

Small Rig is known for offering uniqiue, high quality products for the professional photography industry.

mounts.jpg

bracket.jpg

details.jpg

mount_3.jpg

power_rig.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CPLQ5QYQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0CNSP4P7R

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B094NMJGGD

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mount-for-samsung-t5-ssd-2245.html

Last edited:
1. the SSD doesn't have such hole, you can not attach a screw by default but if you will know the internals of the SSD you can put a screw. Complicated and not recommended.
If people can agree on a good SSD, then maybe someone can produce a good 3D printed case/mount with cable clamps to hold the cables secure even in accidents, otherwise I can see this being a problem. It would make it more difficult to remove from the car, so maybe the dashcam needs a copy function, so from the phone app, you can ask the camera to copy the files you want onto the microSD card, or maybe onto a USB memory stick?

I remember I saw cases melted and buttons melted by the sun. In all cases the culprit was the sun shader. All! The case and buttons melted and the dashcams were still working in many cases.
What temperature does Viofo's plastic melt at? With cheap dashcams, the plastic can start to melt at quite low temperatures, but I'd expect Viofo's plastic to start melting at seriously hot temperatures...

you can ask the camera to copy the files you want onto the microSD card, or maybe onto a USB memory stick?
Yes, you can copy the files between card and SSD or SSD to card but I don't know what will do the dashcam if you will chose to copy (backup) for example the latest 24 hours. It will need a lot of time and if you will turn off the engine before all files were copied you will not have all backup. I expect the backup option to be used to transfer videos from SSD to card and then go at home with the card and check the videos, but this only if is more easy to take out the card instead of the SSD. I don't expect me to use such function. I will just plug out the SSD and go at home for video transfer. The camera will continue to record in parking mode in this time on the card.

What temperature does Viofo's plastic melt at? With cheap dashcams, the plastic can start to melt at quite low temperatures, but I'd expect Viofo's plastic to start melting at seriously hot temperatures...
I don't know what temperatures but I have a friend with a Volvo car who was melted the buttons and lens case on A129 Plus 2CH, the buttons of A139 2CH. He was using windshield sun protector when car was parked and recording in parking mode. But more than that, some Volvo models have some special windshield which create some strange heat which is affecting the dashcams. After he understood that is forbidden to use the stupid sun protector he still had some minor problems with his A229 which were solved after he created some wedge to put between camera mount and Volvo windshield to keep the mount and dashcam more far away from the windshield.
A friend of him have the same car and had problems with A119 Mini 2 and heat. He used the same solution to solve the heat problems.

If people can agree on a good SSD, then maybe someone can produce a good 3D printed case/mount with cable clamps to hold the cables secure even in accidents, otherwise I can see this being a problem.

If one of the goals is security and theft protection I'm not so sure a plastic 3D printed case or mount would be a good approach as it could easily be broken into or vandalized.

I would like to see some sort of metal cage that screws onto a metal plate that could in turn be securely screwed or bolted to a surface somewhere within the vehicle cabin. It could include a secure mount like the ones I featured above or some other way to securely attach any SSD of one's choice that could be mounted inside the cage. The advantage of a metal cage would be tamper-proof vandal resistance and plenty of ventilation for the hard drive.

Some time ago, Rick from Street Guardian, after many forum users told him that this will be a great solution, accepted to create such dashcam, the SG9663DR version. It had very very poor sales. So why to create a dashcam which will be used by 0.00001% of potential buyers. On a forum like this seems a good solution but in real life people will not buy it.
I remember testing the SG9663DR and using it for a few months. It was difficult to find a good position to install the Box. Do you want it out of the way for security and low temps, or visible so you can see the screen and access the buttons, menu etc? The new BTR200 wireless remote button would make it easier to turn the wifi on/off and lock videos remotely. But where to put the MIC and the GPS, and any indicator LEDs? In with the 4K front camera? That's a lot of data back & forth to a remote camera.

So yes, I see the potential for a 'black box' style dashcam, but I think it is difficult for a retail customer to install and use as an accessory.

I remember testing the SG9663DR and using it for a few months. It was difficult to find a good position to install the Box. Do you want it out of the way for security and low temps, or visible so you can see the screen and access the buttons, menu etc? The new BTR200 wireless remote button would make it easier to turn the wifi on/off and lock videos remotely. But where to put the MIC and the GPS, and any indicator LEDs? In with the 4K front camera? That's a lot of data back & forth to a remote camera.

So yes, I see the potential for a 'black box' style dashcam, but I think it is difficult for a retail customer to install and use as an accessory.
I use the remote so rarely that I forgot for what I assigned the buttons.
Because you tested such unit you know better what is happening in reality. In theory and on forum the things are nice, but in reality there are not many buyers because of difficult install. Normal buyers just want to put the dashcam on the windshield and that's all. Some of them are not even hiding the power cable. Also such systems are more expensive.
Viofo created such system but for motorcycles. Also it has low sales even the moto dashcams are made with remote cameras. So Viofo have some experience about such unit and until now I have no signal that Viofo will create the MT2 as 2K or 4K.

So the A329 will look like A229 but with bigger vent holes. An A229 with better hardware and SSD storage, but with maximum 2CH.

I use the remote so rarely that I forgot for what I assigned the buttons.
Because you tested such unit you know better what is happening in reality. In theory and on forum the things are nice, but in reality there are not many buyers because of difficult install. Normal buyers just want to put the dashcam on the windshield and that's all. Some of them are not even hiding the power cable. Also such systems are more expensive.
Viofo created such system but for motorcycles. Also it has low sales even the moto dashcams are made with remote cameras. So Viofo have some experience about such unit and until now I have no signal that Viofo will create the MT2 as 2K or 4K.

So the A329 will look like A229 but with bigger vent holes. An A229 with better hardware and SSD storage, but with maximum 2CH.
If that is indeed the case, then the A329 seems very promising. Only thing I could fault with the A229 Pro was that it didn't cope the best with the Australian summer heat here - otherwise it's been a solid fantastic unit.

Guessing that the A329 Pro (if there will be one), will be 3CH for those wanting that option?

Otherwise wait for A329 Pro Max Plus LoL

Guessing that the A329 Pro (if there will be one), will be 3CH for those wanting that option?
That should be the A339?
The Pro versions should be higher resolution...

If Viofo's naming system is to make sense, which sometimes it doesn't!

That should be the A339?
The Pro versions should be higher resolution...

If Viofo's naming system is to make sense, which sometimes it doesn't!
There was no A239 so not sure what would happen

Who knows at this point right haha

That should be the A339?
Maybe, because the A329 cannot be 3CH because it have Micro HDMI out. No room for another connector.

Of course, in an imaginary world, the Micro HDMI output could be used as input for an interior camera or telephoto camera. There are a lot of pins in the HDMI connector, maybe some of them are almost never used.

Why do you want a 2K rear camera?
Most dashcams have 1K rear cameras, and very few people complain...

The low light performance of the rear camera at night is more of a problem than the resolution, since car tail lights are very low brightness and it is hard for a normal rear camera to read the license plate behind unless you put your brake lights on, so maybe a super sensitive rear 1K camera with IR LEDs for illuminating plates is better than a normal 2K rear camera?

I prefer 2K rear resolution for daylight, but I have never actually needed that resolution, and more sensitivity would sometimes be good.
Why do I want a 2K rear camera? - This is unexpected and rather strange question. :unsure::)
Maybe most people do not complain about the 1K rear camera, but most people also use 2K and even 1K in the front and seem to be happy with it.
So, why do we need 4K/Starvis2/HDR/SSD/etc.? - No need to answer, this is a rhetorical question. :rolleyes:

I am not obsessed with reading license plates, which is mainly needed for "hit and run" situation in my opinion, which is more likely to happen during parking, when I am not in the car, than in a traffic accident, once again just my opinion.
I prefer overall good video quality day and night, front and rear.
For that reason, I chose pair of the 2K Mini2s (front/rear) in my car, before A229Pro/Plus came out.

Back