About to buy F770 - are you happy with it?

Gil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 2-Ch
Hi all,

So I'm about to buy the F770 2ch which costs about $700 in Australia.

Before I purchase it, I wanted to hear from you experience if you're happy with the dashcam. Are you satisfied with it's video quality of both cams?
With it's parking mode?
Other features?
ease of use?
anything else to consider?
does it have Australia camera database?

thanks.

Hi Gil,
Welcome aboard.
I have a F750 which has been converted to the F770, running that Firmware.
I could not be happier, and answer YES to all your questions except the Austrailian Database (I'm in the USA) as I don't know.
I tried several other Dashcams, and while each of them had certain features that I liked, the Thinkware Dashcams in my opinion are head and shoulders above the rest. Particularly in the Parking Mode area, which is most important to me.

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with Thinkware.

RodeoGeorge

I just got my F770 in yesterday and only tested it on the bench but so far so good. Looks well built and video quality is great.

The Australian database was last updated end of September, i wouldnt use it to be honest. I suggest using the Tomtom speed camera app instead, its fantastic.

Glad that you're pleased with the Thinkware.

I do not use the alerts in the Thinkware either. I have an Encore 9500xi Radar Detector that has great alerts.

RodeoGeorge

thanks for the input!

the f770 alerts are not good?

Hi,

I had the Blackvue 650s 2 channels, even thou I was happy with it I purchased the Thinkware 770 2ch.

The quality on the the Thinkware is better than the Blackvue.

Parking mode is great, I use a Cellink B V2 battery which keeps the parking mode going.

I have turned a lot of the features off as I did not see the need for them ie lane departure and forward collision warning.

I love the time-lapse feature which is what made me purchase the Thinkware and the better video quality time-lapse does not give you audio.

I things I miss that was available on the Blackvue

I was able to log into dash cam whilst it was still recording, Thinkware stop recording once connected with a smart phone.

I was able to log into dash cam when in parking mode, Thinkware needs to come out of parking mode to do this.

I was able to use Blackvue App to connect to dash cam for live streaming when my car was parked outside my house or at work and was connected to wifi, this is the cloud feature on the Blackvue. Thinkware does not have this feature.

love the design of the the Thinkware dash cam, sits flush against windscreen, had to use polarize lens on Thinkware but had the same problem with Blackvue.

The Thinkware is a fraction cheaper.

The buttons on the Thinkware do not stand out, when turning on wifi you end up pressing wrong button, easily sorted by sticking Silicone/rubber buttons on the wifi button so you can feel which button you are pressing.

The SD card is very easy to remove, the Thinkware volume is loud compare to the Blackvue,

Think has 3 wires
red for battery live, yellow for Acc, black for earth, goes into parking mode when car is turned off.
Where the Blackvue only had 2 wires, + and -, goes into parking mode when it does not detect movement.

Thinkware has internal storage, not much, but handy if SD card get damaged in crash.

Thinkware dash cam easy to remove from mount just slide out.
When getting in the car it states 2 events detected, when I was exiting car and when I came back to car.
If Thinkware can add another acc wire so it can connect to the dome light when car is unlocked which will bring it out of parking mode and not show the events when exiting and entering then that would be nice.

Hi John,

How long does the Cellink B V2 keep your parking mode running for the F770? How long do you drive to charge it up?

When I was using only the front camera I was getting 2 days out of a full charge.

On dual camera around a day.

Charging is around 30 minutes which is what it takes for me to drive to work and another 30 on the way back, so keeps it going, when I have long weekends off, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, the car might not get used for a couple of day, so to recharge battery I got one of these.

adfa0e2af1.jpg

full charge in about a hour.

my 30 minutes drive keeps the camera working for the whole week.

I now have both the F770 (front) and F750 (rear) and must say
the difference (if you have same F770 fw on both) is minor.

I don't even think that the F770 is more discreet, apart from the color,
but as I have put black tape on the 750 there really is no difference at all IMO.

If you can get the F750 considerably cheaper than the F770 you might just
wanna go for that one...

It has been pointed out several times that the F750 and F770 share the same hardware internally, so I woulld not expect any difference in their performance.

RodeoGeorge

I saw a review saying the F750 rear camera doesnt have super night vision. Was this enabled in the F770 firmware?

Hi all! I'm new to forums in general and dash cams so forgive me if I'm breaking forum etiquette. I recently purchased a new car (which I want to protect more than most people care for their children) and I just got in my Thinkware F770 front/rear cameras. I'm getting it installed/hardwired later today but I couldn't resist playing with it for a little while yesterday. Holy s%*t is it cool!

I know that it will withstand pretty extreme temperatures but I was toying with the idea of mounting it using xtreme Velcro should I want to remove it for any reason. Is this completely ridiculous?

Tomorrow I'll be getting in my Valentine 1 radar detector. Can anyone share some suggestions as to placement of the two so that both remain as inconspicuous as possible?

After reading other posts and playing with the 770 it seemed liked the front cam had the best view directly below the rear view mirrow on the left side. I noticed the rear cam gets installed so that it looks to be upside down which seemed odd.

Any other tips/suggestions on well, everything? Lol. The parking monitoring feature is crutch to me so I'm sure I'll need to play with some settings.

Thank you in advance!!

Velco works but you'll get a bit of video shake because its not a firm contact to the windscreen.

Best placement i found was behind the mirror (drivers side) within arms reach. I tend to put my cams as high up the windscreen as possible, near the tint band so its less obvious outside and also less of a visual obstruction.

and yes the rear cam is upside down for some silly reason.

Thank you so much! I bought a 2017 WRX STI which vibrates enough on its own so I'll definitely take your recommendation and stick with the standard mount and 3M adhesive

I've been searching for a good deal on the Thinkware F770 and I found this on ebay which states "hardwire only":

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262782713798?

1. What do you think about this deal and the fact it's hardwire only?

2. My power magic accepts the cigarette adapter. would I still be able to use it for the f770?

3. Where can I buy CPL for this?

p.s. - after reading some of the comments here, what are the differences between the 750 and the 770, aside from the price?

Hardwire only means no cig plug, you don't need a power magic as the camera has it built in anyway

770 is more discreet and nicer form factor, same hardware

And is there a store that sells CPL?

Back