Add DIY CPL (Polarizing Filter) to Reduce Windshield Dashboard Reflections

Re: Polarizing Filter to Reduce Windshield Dashboard Reflect

Ok, here's my idea where closer lens to the windshield glass, smaller the shield is going to be. You can attach shield to camera with different of ways. For example, small piece of Velcro or same 3M tape used for sticking camera to glass.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 301

My Dashcam view looks great now that the trim rings are plast-dip matte black. There is as much shine to the rings as if you shined light on black rubber tires now. (Plasti-Dip looks similar to that color/matte finish black) They look much better black and are no longer an eye sore on dashcam.

Here's a snapshot withOUT the CPL filter. (can't see the old silver Gauges any more) It will only get better once the CPL is in place. (which I hope to complete soon) The CPL filter blocks out more than just the reflection of the dashboard, it cuts sun glare and makes other details POP!

l3At3ME.jpg

erewhon (the member I got the original inspiration from) posted an interesting update on his 3D printed support ring for his MagFilter.
It looks like he's going re-print it with a better design. (v2) I don't think I'll have the same steep angle problem as the blackview.
Anyway check it out~~~> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2321&p=25010#p25008 <~~~

Last edited by a moderator:

JazJon said:
I just ordered the following on ebay for $4.59 USD
Green.L 30.5mm Circular Polarizing CPL PL-CIR C-PL
30.5mm "should" be big enough to prevent the vignetting (black border around the video image), due to the wide-angle lens. (but not overly big) At least this one comes black too, no need to paint anything.
hUg1a1ym.jpg

I just received the low cost Green.L CPL filter today so I tested it against the MagFilter.
The Green.L filter doesn't change at all when you spin it, but still cuts glare. The winner is clearly MagFilter once I dial in the exact sweet spot.
I think the MagFilter is a better value especially with the ingenious magnet attachment system.
Anyway here is the comparison. This is also with the new 20130905 firmware so Bitrate has been increased from 10Mbps to 16Mbps.
Raw .MP4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/282rga19r7eud ... 20Test.mp4
Youtube:

Yes, the MagFilter clearly had a spot where the reflections in the windshield were almost gone, and the Green-L seemed to do almost nothing about reflections.

erewhon said:
Yes, the MagFilter clearly had a spot where the reflections in the windshield were almost gone, and the Green-L seemed to do almost nothing about reflections.

You picked a winner with the MagFilter that's for sure.

I just dropped off my DashCam with LaserGnomes this afternoon. He's going to TinkerCad up a design. He's thinking of using the 0801's mini-jack AV port as a support structure/anchor. (since it's unused, and he has the industry plug size to attach-print) We have gravity on our side and I can add double stick tape to make sure it's solid when I spin the CPL. Here's my very crude MSPaint rendering lol.

9kjdgjul.jpg

I just got an update on the 3D Print design and first prototype photos. (looks perfect! I'll add some double stick tape for additional support) I'll post test drive videos as soon as things are together. This has been a fun experience so far, 3D printing rocks.

"Printed in black I'd say this thing is good to go. The parts stays on firmly... however untested with additional weight of lens."

lf1VnQOl.jpg

Pcvu9dzl.jpg

HhvmJiAl.jpg

Last edited:

looks pretty good!

I'm happy to report the 3D Printed support base was completed today via Justin at LaserGnomes. He's going to put the part up on his site if anyone wants to buy it for themselves. (Check the first post of my DIY thread, I'll update it as soon as LaserGnomes sends me his store link) Justin was so impressed with the 0801 he had his family order a few dozen of them for their fleet of trucks for the their other business. (to make sure employees are driving safe and on time)

A4oXYQ9m.jpg
Jt9iPLhm.jpg

7TBUmjMm.jpg
n8PVIR3m.jpg

xYGEMm8m.jpg

Here's a quick video I made snapping on the new 3D printed support base for the CPL to magnetically attach to.
(did a light sanding, and alcohol swab before applying the sticky metal ring)

I'll record some actual driving test videos soon, and dial in the perfect lens position.

This video is private...

tonymy01 said:
This video is private...

Whoops thanks, I forgot the default iMovie upload is set to private. Fixed!

I can see the video now - thanks!

ciuvak said:
Is the filter ring now stuck/glued to the printed base adapter? Meaning, only the filter itself can be easily removed because it's attached magnetically to the ring, right?
The reason I'm asking about the mounting, I'm curious if one could use the same filter for both the DVR and a compatible digital camera for example.
Or even later if a different DVR comes along, can the ring&filter be easily removed from the base and installed on a different car DVR.

The 3D printed base "snap fits" around the 0801 lens. (snug fit) I ended up not needing to use double stick tape (or glue) It's on very solid. If you look there is a peg that fits into the A/V mini jack port on the top of the camera. That's what I'm doing in the begining of the video. I'm trying to do it one handed since I'm holding the camera with the other hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... x6twas_Gu0
The metal ring that comes with the magfilter is then stuck to the new 3D printed support base. It comes with TWO (1 spare) metal rings with stick tape so you can put it on your other camera yes! (they sell spares online too, see link below) The MagFilter itself has a magnet which pulls itself against the metal ring you stuck to the 3D printed support base. It's as easy to take off as pulling a very strong magnet off the fridge.

So yeah they sell spares of those metal rings too
http://carryspeed.com/products/magfilte ... -lens-ring

LaserGnomes will be reprinting mine in black ABS (more toxic, but heat resistant) He only has ABS in Orange currently but ordered more Black ABS. The first one he printed in black was out of some rough grain looking biodegradable material. (it already warped in the sun/heat)

Brilliant job JazJon & LaserGnomes.

I wonder if polarizing filters will become the new accessory for Dash Cams now? :D

Was this still being made or did someone find one that worked. The Store link says there are no products available.

Was this still being made or did someone find one that worked. The Store link says there are no products available.

The store is temporarily offline. The first print was using a biodegradable plastic. I found this grade of plastic was warping in the green house effect heat of the sun. LaserGnomes has new heat resistant plastic on order and will re-activate the store once it's in stock. (so stand by)

Back