Add WiFi capability to Mini 0801! (or any other microSD DashCam)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Mtz posted a brilliant idea. You can give any DashCam WiFi capability by using a microSD card extension cable, and then adding the PQI Air.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...oth-that-sends-video-to-cell.2986/#post-33342

The size required by the Micro SD Card is not important, so the camera size is not given because of the card slot.

If you want to secure the dashcam recordings you can think to a black Micro SD Card extension cable.
If you want to transfer wirelessly the video from the card when your smartphone is in the area of the dashcam you can think to PQI Air Card.

enjoy,
Mtz

How does the PQI Air stack up against the Eye-Fi? http://www.eye.fi
https://www.google.com/search?q=pqi air vs eye fi
So far the main one I see is:

"One specific feature, however, makes the Air Card stand out. The feature that differentiates it from other WiFi memory cards on the market is the fact that no actual memory is built into the Air Card itself. Instead it has a slot into which you can insert a microSD card of your choice. If you’re someone who fills up cards quickly, that means you won’t have to buy a bunch of very expensive EyeFi cards, just one shell and as many relatively cheap microSD cards as your heart desires." (meaning, we can continue using the Samsung Class 6 card!)

Patent-15P-46cm-font-b-SD-b-font-font-b-card-b-font-font-b-extension.jpg

PQI-Air.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PQI Air

Last edited:
It looks like a good product, but it is missing one ciritcal feature that the Eyefi supports, and would be my main reason for getting one of these wifi cards. The Eyefi is capable of automatically transferring all new files on the card to a designated PC over a wireless network. The PQI seems to only support portable devices and not the PC. My main use would be to have the wifi card record as usual and at the end of the day when I pull into the garage, leave the camera on using a timer and let it automatically offload all new recordings to the PC. Basically a completely hands off system for automatic archiving. Maybe PQI will come up with a newer model or firmware upgrade that can support direct to PC transfers.

KuoH

It looks like a good product, but it is missing one ciritcal feature that the Eyefi supports, and would be my main reason for getting one of these wifi cards. The Eyefi is capable of automatically transferring all new files on the card to a designated PC over a wireless network. The PQI seems to only support portable devices and not the PC. My main use would be to have the wifi card record as usual and at the end of the day when I pull into the garage, leave the camera on using a timer and let it automatically offload all new recordings to the PC. Basically a completely hands off system for automatic archiving. Maybe PQI will come up with a newer model or firmware upgrade that can support direct to PC transfers.

KuoH

Bummer, maybe Eye-Fi is the way to go then. At least they finally have a new 32GB model. We are forced to use Class 10 though on eye-fi.
Eye-Fi_mobi-8-32GB_cards.jpg

Last edited:
You must be sure that your Wireless SD Card can recognize MOV, MP4 or AVI file types, depending what your camera is recording.

JazJon, the screenshot of the extension cable is good because you choose a black one instead of a white one as most promoted on online stores. We don't need white cables in our cars.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi, I,m using this and it works!
View attachment 3521
Regards
Awesome! I like the design of that wifi card. Looks like it lets you use your same micro SD card for the storage while adding wifi.

Bee Pee, what are your results?

- Any card read errors (low speed card, storage I/O)??
- Does that wifi card automatically send files to a location?
- To what are you transferring the files? Computer? Smartphone App?
- Are there settings for the card? Is it constantly emitting wifi or can you switch the wifi on/off.

Awesome! I like the design of that wifi card. Looks like it lets you use your same micro SD card for the storage while adding wifi.

Bee Pee, what are your results?

- Any card read errors (low speed card, storage I/O)??
- Does that wifi card automatically send files to a location?
- To what are you transferring the files? Computer? Smartphone App?
- Are there settings for the card? Is it constantly emitting wifi or can you switch the wifi on/off.

My thoughts were how could I stream Data from my 0801 to my iPad/iPhone? JazJon (Brilliant Idea) beat me to it!
The PQI Air Card can be bought anywhere, mine on eBay, about €35,00.
The Air Card itself has a Software option of switching On/Off WiFi and/or Hotspot capability and has a free IOS or Android download App.
The Air Card accepts all Micro SDHC Cards of any Class and upto 32GB and records every option the Cam offers which I think has the edge over Eye-Fi!
The SD to Micro SD card Adapter/Extender, which I found on the web is a debug or test tool which allows an SD Card to be extended from the micro SD slot. The Micro SD Adapter/Extender tool is mainly for engineers, or Hobby enthusiasts. It works perfectly with the Air Card.
I have no known I/O errors. Apart from the known errors of using Class 10 Cards!
Regards

I too thought about the eye-fi, because it will automatically downloads when you get home or from a hotspot. To me the perfect scenario is having my files saved every time I get home. This way if a week later a ticket comes for a red light camera I had no idea took my picture, I can just go into my computer and find the day. No more worries of losing files.​

Wow take care and drive safe!
Regards.

Wow take care and drive safe!
Regards.
If you're referring to the red light cameras, yes they are ridiculous. Just another way to make money

Mtz posted a brilliant idea. You can give any DashCam WiFi capability by using a microSD card extension cable, and then adding the PQI Air.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...oth-that-sends-video-to-cell.2986/#post-33342

How does the PQI Air stack up against the Eye-Fi? http://www.eye.fi
https://www.google.com/search?q=pqi air vs eye fi
So far the main one I see is:

"One specific feature, however, makes the Air Card stand out. The feature that differentiates it from other WiFi memory cards on the market is the fact that no actual memory is built into the Air Card itself. Instead it has a slot into which you can insert a microSD card of your choice. If you’re someone who fills up cards quickly, that means you won’t have to buy a bunch of very expensive EyeFi cards, just one shell and as many relatively cheap microSD cards as your heart desires." (meaning, we can continue using the Samsung Class 6 card!)

Patent-15P-46cm-font-b-SD-b-font-font-b-card-b-font-font-b-extension.jpg

PQI-Air.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PQI Air

Do you have a link to that black extension cable? I cannot find it anywhere.

I wonder, is there a way that when you "lock" a video say on the mobius, then it transfers the file to your cell phone ?

I wonder, is there a way that when you "lock" a video say on the mobius, then it transfers the file to your cell phone ?
Im thinking at that price point ($80), that would be quite an amazing thing.

Im thinking at that price point ($80), that would be quite an amazing thing.
From a software standpoint, I do not see why not.
If an app was created that used the wifi, watched for a video to go in lock mode, then copied it.

Would not have any changes to the mobius. Makes no difference to the card. That is, if I am understanding how the card works.

From a software standpoint, I do not see why not.
If an app was created that used the wifi, watched for a video to go in lock mode, then copied it.

Would not have any changes to the mobius. Makes no difference to the card. That is, if I am understanding how the card works.
@Isoprop is this possible, assuming there were wifi capabilities on the Mobius?

@Isoprop is this possible, assuming there were wifi capabilities on the Mobius?
Not sure Isoprop view on it,

but I have looked into both Wifi cards a bit more, the eyeFi and the PQI Air. They open many doors to the dash cam scenario.

For example, one could easily manage multiple cameras easier. No needed to take out all the cards or move the cams to get the videos. This is ideal for me if I want to get a second cam for the rear.

I am going to rip open the android versions of the apps they have later and see how easy they can be modded for what I want. It should not be to hard to toggle say every x amount of minutes the app on your phone would check the card for new files that are locked and if not yet saved, save them.

It also opens up the doors for more external storage. For example, with how widely available android players are becoming one (theoretically) could set up such a situation where they have all video, or specific video, saving to storage in the vehicle which could be hidden away from the cameras. This makes stealing of the cameras less worrisome because you potentially now have the videos backed up in another location of the car which would be nearly impossible to determine by a thief unless they have plenty of time on their hands.

I am going to order up one of these cards soon and get cracking. If it was not for a hackathon this weekend I would get to it ASAP. There is so much potential here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. what I stated above makes no real difference to the cam. Whether it be mobius or any other cam. It is all in the wifi card and the application to manage it on your phone/laptop.

@Bee Pee : Can you tell me from where I can buy the Micro SD Adapter/Extender that you are using to mount the Air Card on the Mini 0801? Thank you.

anyone have a good source for the microSD to sd cable? A lot of the ones I am finding on ebay are around $40 whereas a Sd to Sd version is 1/4 that.

I too thought about the eye-fi, because it will automatically downloads when you get home or from a hotspot. To me the perfect scenario is having my files saved every time I get home. This way if a week later a ticket comes for a red light camera I had no idea took my picture, I can just go into my computer and find the day. No more worries of losing files.​

I like this idea a lot. Would be great to download all my footage everyday and save it just in case. I would delete the older stuff eventually (not worried with disk space as that's relatively cheap these days).

Back