Advices / Settings / Positioning

Yes, the red line *should* mark the position of the maximum effect (mark facing straight down or up). I have several of these CPLs and they were always spot on using this mark. So simply hold the filter in front of you you and put a piece of paper on the dashboard. Look through the filter and as you rotate it, paper should be more/less visible in the glass, and the least when red mark is facing exactly up or down.
Your picture seems perfectly fine to me, you will NEVER remove 100% of reflections, and it does not have to be necessarily worse than the first picture you posted, it is just different lighting that changes the composition completely.
Simple test is also to remove the filter and check again on the same route/time of day/lighting conditions, and you will see the difference clearly.

Also, the easiest demonstration of how lighting conditions change the reflections in the glass is to drive in the night under street lights...as the light moves, reflections come in and go. It behaves the same way during the day, only so not bluntly and so not everyone can realize the lighting conditions have the biggest impact on reflections, like angle of the light and its intensity.

Here is a picture of today ride, seems worst than yesterday to me ? ^^
I would say it is the same as yesterday.

It still looks to me like it needs rotating a degree or two, can you try this test:

Take the CPL off the camera, into your house, and point it at your LCD TV, or computer monitor as second best, hold the CPL to your eye exactly as the camera would look through it. Rotate the CPL until you see the TV image go black. This should normally happen when it is at exactly 90 degrees to its normal orientation, some TVs may be exactly 0 zero, and some monitors may be exactly 45 degrees. If you find that it goes black at 88 degrees instead of 90 then the glass needs rotating 2 degrees. If the TV image doesn't go black at all but just changes colour a little then try looking through the reverse side, if it then goes black then you need to reverse the glass.

No need to rotate the filter. depends entirely on the angle of incidence of light. It is set so that the sun is facing the camera.
You will know if you use a little bit of logic.
There will be reflection on the side where the light comes from. You adjust the filter accordingly, yes, the reflection disappears, but if the light comes from the opposite or the other side, there will be reflection again.

In short, there is no need to adjust filters every day.
The line on the filter is adjusted for light coming directly from the top.

No need to rotate the filter. depends entirely on the angle of incidence of light. It is set so that the sun is facing the camera.
You will know if you use a little bit of logic.
There will be reflection on the side where the light comes from. You adjust the filter accordingly, yes, the reflection disappears, but if the light comes from the opposite or the other side, there will be reflection again.

In short, there is no need to adjust filters every day.
The line on the filter is adjusted for light coming directly from the top.
That is incorrect, it depends on the angle of the glass and road surface (the surfaces which are reflecting the light), not the sun. It should be set at the factory for the glass directly in front of the camera, which will be a little incorrect for the glass at the edges of the image, depending on the curvature of the glass.

That is incorrect, it depends on the angle of the glass and road surface (the surfaces which are reflecting the light), not the sun. It should be set at the factory for the glass directly in front of the camera, which will be a little incorrect for the glass at the edges of the image, depending on the curvature of the glass.
my detection is correct. the camera is very good against direct reflections. If the light comes from the sides, a slight reflection will be seen sideways. For this reason, the reflection becomes equal on the sides when the light comes directly from the top of the sun or directly against it. does not go completely. However, if it is one-sided, there is no need to change it for nothing.

Thanks all ! Maybe i'm a little too much exigent or actually I didn't really know what to expect so I'm trying to get the best possible result so I don't miss a setting or anything !

I will try a last test tomorrow with the white sheet and keep it like it is !

Thanks again for all your answers

You do realize as you drive and the suns position relative to the camera shifts it will affect the ability of polarizer to polarize the light.

You do realize as you drive and the suns position relative to the camera shifts it will affect the ability of polarizer to polarize the light.
Yea of course, but as it is my first dash cam I was just wondering if i set it up correctly

There are no stupid questions in here, only some we have heard many times, but we do our best to RPLY anyway.

If you was expecting more from your new dashcam you will not be the first one, dashcams are not kick ass action cameras, they are fairly simple drive loggers ( and logging your own driving they do just fine day or night )
So if you have a camera running, and are a nice driver you should be good.

As I said previously, this is untrue, the position of the sun is irrelevant to the physics of the polarised light.

The correct orientation for the polarizer is vertical (zero degrees), whatever the sun's position, that is why the factory is able to pre-set the orientation correctly at the factory.

For photography the position of the sun is important, but we are not trying to enhance the clouds in the sky, we are only trying to remove reflections off our windscreen, from the road surface and from the windscreens of other vehicles, and in the first two of those situations the polarization is of the light is always horizontal, and it is close to horizontal in the third.

As I said previously, this is untrue, the position of the sun is irrelevant to the physics of the polarised light.

The correct orientation for the polarizer is vertical (zero degrees), whatever the sun's position, that is why the factory is able to pre-set the orientation correctly at the factory.

For photography the position of the sun is important, but we are not trying to enhance the clouds in the sky, we are only trying to remove reflections off our windscreen, from the road surface and from the windscreens of other vehicles, and in the first two of those situations the polarization is of the light is always horizontal, and it is close to horizontal in the third.
Wrong.

Back