Advise on Wiring a Cam for Park Mode on a 3 series coupe

Estoril Sport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S 2CH
Are there any installation fitters on the forum who could answer my question?

I recently bought a Blackvue DR500GW-HD and I would like this to provide 'Park mode' recording, I also purchased a Power Magic Pro adaptor. The problem is the BMW dealership is telling me that as long as the camera is taking power (from the battery) the car electronics will sense the powertrain and will not go in sleep mode thus putting a big power drain on the cars battery.

They say even if the cam wiring goes directly to the battery itself car electronics will sense the powertrain and the cars electronics will not power down?

Is this true? I have seen on YouTube what this appears to be a different story but who do I believe?

Is there any information that I can provide to the dealership on tips in fitting the Power Magic Pro adaptor that will not trigger the cars electronics in thinking that there is a power drain and report error codes.

I was hoping that I could set the Power Magic Pro adaptor so the Park mode is set to infinity and set the voltage trigger to 11.8 volts to stop powering the camera if the voltage drops to that figure.

The car is a BMW 3 series coupe manufacture year 2009 (pre facelift)

Thank you.

Last edited:
I've heard this before, I asked my cousin about it last week (he's an auto electrician) and he was skeptical about it, my neighbor back home is a BMW factory trained mechanic, I'll be asking him about it also to see what he knows of the situation

I'm no expert but ask your dealer if disabling the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) would help.

I'm no expert but ask your dealer if disabling the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) would help.

not sure (still waiting to confirm) but it sounds as though where the power is connected has some bearing on the results, can't hurt to ask the dealer, wouldn't surprise me if they advise against installing something you're not buying from them though

not sure (still waiting to confirm) but it sounds as though where the power is connected has some bearing on the results, can't hurt to ask the dealer, wouldn't surprise me if they advise against installing something you're not buying from them though

For sure any dealer would not want to do anything not BMW approved. May have to seek advice from an independent source. BMW uses Canbus, but so does Hyundai in some models so go figure.

Back