Am I being silly thinking I can use NB 522GW as a security cam at home?

wonderer78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just ordered a Nextbase 522GW and a little worried as it seems to have such conflicting opinons on it. However my query relates to a (potentially idiotic) idea that when I am not using it in the car I can connect it up on a shelf at home facing out the window onto the drive as an easy security camera?

I have also purchased this three pin adapter designed to power auto electrical things such as dash cams at home so the power situation should theoretically be OK.

71-JSyJdjWL._SL1500_.jpg

I was just wondering if there is anything obvious that I am missing which makes this a dumb idea?

Can I confirm that the Nextbase 522GW will automatically just start recording as soon as power is attached to it? It doesn't need motion at all to make it record? Sorry if that's a silly question but this is my first dash cam regardless of this idea.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Kind regards

Rich

As long as you can get suitable power to the camera it will function. Whether it will work adequately as a security camera is questionable.

I tried using a different dash cam as a security cam some years ago and gave up the experiment in short order.

First the default mode is continuous recording which then opens up 2 issues - 1) you will need a large card to store the video to prevent overwriting and 2) you will have a lot of video to review should the need arise. I tried mitigating this by using motion detection but unfortunately that didn't work suitably and missed recording most activity that occurred so it was effectively useless. That may or may not be an issue with the Nextbase.

Second, depending on location reflections in the window effectively obscure anything outside making the setup useless unless all interior lighting is off.

If you're serious about having an inexpensive 'security' cam look into the offerings from Wyze. They are at least designed for what you want to do.

you can, but really for home you would be better off with a dedicated CCTV camera, so much better.

Some have used old dashcams as CCTV / surveillance, but what a camera like that can do are far from what a similar priced proper surveillance camera can do.

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies. Just for reference I am not a lazy, half a job guy honest haha. I have a CCTV setup already but there is a part of the drive which is awkward to install a camera in. I just thought as a easy option for that part I could bung it in the window that overlooks it. Just a "you never know" type of thing. I dont plan on leaving it in the car so thought I could make use of it when indoors.

I was wondering more about if the cam would be OK being powered 24/7 and any drawback associated with that? And my silly question about whether the cam needs motion to actually record or if it will be fine just sat on a shelf?

I just thought as a easy option for that part I could bung it in the window that overlooks it. Just a "you never know" type of thing.
If you're really serious about that bit of coverage then a Wyze cam may be a solution for you. They're about $20 US. I don't believe the company sells directly outside the US but there are people that own them in GB/Europe so there is a source. They have decent motion detection capabilities so you're not tasked with sorting through hours of video should it be necessary.

Sample: https://youtu.be/NXtTvrC0arc

How about just buy a real security camera

Last edited by a moderator:
@wonderer78 You don't need the 240V to 12V adapter. Just use a simple 1A USB charger (like your phone charger) and a mini USB cable, like the dashcam-to-PC cable that comes with your 522GW.

As others have said, continuous recording even at 1080p30 will take up a lot of storage space. Your 522GW has a time lapse video function which might be better for long-duration recording.

The in-built polariser might be helpful to reduce reflections from inside your house

Back