Amazon & Ebay will start charging VAT to foreign sellers

JooVuu

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/16/amazon-ebay-liable-vat-sellers-budget-2016

It seems like we're finally taking action. Whilst it is a small step and still does not create a level playing field, it at least evens the playing field slightly so local sellers aren't running up a cliff.

Whilst I'm sure a new way will come round and under declaring will always happen, it means that their prices will have to start reflecting the 20% VAT which should narrow the gap hugely.

Something positive this St.Patrick's Day ! :)

WTF.
I in EU, at the door to the store, it says "TAX free" for non EU citizen and there also shipped tax free to outside EU.

But if EU citizen try to buy "tax free" it's a no go.

When you enter Denmark from outside EU you most max import for $300, if you buy from internet it must cost max $12 US incl. S/H

I hope EU will put a equal tax on export, which there send to government where there ship to, so there can taste the same medicine.

One would think EU had this in order as it was what the EU was founded for in the erly 70ties, to facilitate trade among the member states.

So i must conclude even this prime thing of the EU ( which i actually like ) is a faliure too, must have been smothered by all the other stuff they have piled on top of it since then.
When politics get too big, the people and the world suffer, too big to fail ????? O hell no, no one is that, its what arrogant ppl say to hide her own ignorance and fear of change.

Here is a copy of how there calculate import tax in Denmark. Post service in Denmark is required to clam the tax, so no escape.
(item price+S/H+12%import tax+fee)+25% local tax.

Clothing $228
Shipping $8
Import tax (12%) $28
local tax (25%) $66
Fee $24

Total $358 for $228 item.

It just come out on CNN that Denmark is the most happy people in the world 2016. Congratulation!

Danish tax system = Ballbusting.

@kamkar1 Are Dane a bunch of masochist.:p

In theory that is the same in most countries @Viking with the tax and what not. The difference is in the UK HMRC is not funded properly to enforce the rules that Denmark does.

If in the UK eBay and Amazon start collecting the money off the imports before they are shipped (ie at purchase) then even if the Chinese sellers understate the value it does not matter as much because a lot of the money has already been collected.

I think that system is better as you simply put the price upfront rather than dealing with it later.

I for one support these measures simply because it will make buying from China less appealing.

I dont know what the hell Danes are, but i dont think we are smart folkes thats for damm sure.

If we where smart we would have made our country better and better since it was good in the 70ties, but instead we jumped on a slide back then.
And its not like its a cool slide with high speed and cool bends and whoops, its a agonizing slow ride and the only thrill is the gaping black hole ppl like me can see at the end of it.
Most Danes however think this slide will keep going on and on forever, completely ignoring all the warning signs like the failing welds the paint peeling off and the number of Aaaaaa and Oooooo is dwindling to a level where the ones you hear is the ones you make yourself.

Like i said before in the 70ties we desided, lets experiment and see if we can make our society to a wierd version of the communist Russia

And so it is, and ppl cant see all the good things we had and paied a lot ( of tax money for ) is now gone, and they have not been replaced by other things where our society excel, everything is slowlet getting worse and worse, and the complacent ppl dont do anything about it.

O yeah and before ppl ask, i am one of those idiots too, proberly one of the slightly bigger ones.

Last edited:
I for one support these measures simply because it will make buying from China less appealing.

You price on X cam in England incl tax is more appealing, than to the local shops in USA, Canada, Australia.

All prices is in pound.
GB 96 without tax.
GB 120 incl tax.
AUS 142
CAD 122
US 128

Back