Ambarella A12 DAB205 or 202,201

electro

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Dash Cam
DAB205
Hello

I am new here and I hop this forum will help me to decide which cam is the best right choice for me.

I am going to buy Car dash cam. I Have basic information about Ambarella A12 and DAB 205,202,201 series cams but not sure which one is great one to buy. I know basic differences between this cams. I like DAB205 design and LCD screen size 3' and going to buy this one but If anyone have experience which one is less problematic or good one and why let me know before I buy new dash cam.

Thanks

All 3 will should give you very similar video quality. If you like the look of the 205, then go with it. the 201 and 202 can use the same firmware, but the 205 uses different firmware. 201 and 205 have the same mount style, while the 202 uses a mount that screws into the camera. I haven't heard of any big issues with these cameras. Firmware has fixed any issues that have been found.

All 3 will should give you very similar video quality. If you like the look of the 205, then go with it. the 201 and 202 can use the same firmware, but the 205 uses different firmware. 201 and 205 have the same mount style, while the 202 uses a mount that screws into the camera. I haven't heard of any big issues with these cameras. Firmware has fixed any issues that have been found.

Thanks for fast answer. I think Dab201 and Dab205 have more good cooling then Dab202 becouse of front radiator. this is my opinion. And what about firmware? can i update firmware myself? If I'll buy Dab205? I am read here many articles and I only see firmware talk to Dab201 not 202 and 205.

Firmware is very easy to update. You can do it yourself. I have posted firmware for the 202 and 201 in this forum as have others, so access to the latest firmware available. I'm sure can be found here. The 201 and 202 use the same firmware, it's just that the 201 is available as neutral stock/white box, so it is more popular and easier to find a retailer that carries it. I don't sell the 205 yet, so I do not have any firmware for it, but I'm sure it's available. I will probably carry the 205 in a month or so. As long as the camera is working fine you shouldn't need to update anyway.

I've never held the 205, but having had both the 201 and the 202 my strong preference is for the 202.
It's sleek and pretty unobtrusive. I also prefer the mount on the 202 to that of the 205 or 201.
I'm not sure I'd worry about the size of the "radiator" :)

Firmware is very easy to update. You can do it yourself. I have posted firmware for the 202 and 201 in this forum as have others, so access to the latest firmware available. I'm sure can be found here. The 201 and 202 use the same firmware, it's just that the 201 is available as neutral stock/white box, so it is more popular and easier to find a retailer that carries it. I don't sell the 205 yet, so I do not have any firmware for it, but I'm sure it's available. I will probably carry the 205 in a month or so. As long as the camera is working fine you shouldn't need to update anyway.

Thanks. which of this DAB2xx series have parking mode?

I've never held the 205, but having had both the 201 and the 202 my strong preference is for the 202.
It's sleek and pretty unobtrusive. I also prefer the mount on the 202 to that of the 205 or 201.
I'm not sure I'd worry about the size of the "radiator" :)

When you are driving and temp is 35-40 celsius cooling is important. Also when camera can record 1440p. Overheating is not good anyone can confirm this. I think I see different cooling variants in this series. see photo.

Hi!

Does it have to be from eBay?
Last week, I ordered a D201 from Gearbest.. Used this code "FiD201" to get a discount and drop the price down from 117$ to 97$.

Last edited:
I don't think Gearbest carries the DAB205. At least I couldn't find it listed.

I believe the DAB205 is the newer of the 3. The 201 is available as neutral/generic stock so there are many resellers. DAB202 is only available in Domes Car Major brand so there are fewer sellers. The 205 as I understand will be available as neutral stock very soon, so you'll probably see them for sale by more retailers.

Haha clicking in that pic of the 3 cameras got me a pop up comercial, saying save the enviorment, use wind energy, problem is i am in Denmark and no one os more green energy than us or have more wind power :)

Whoever control that commercial is barking up the wrong tree :p

You will have to do somthing as a private person to pass me in beeing green,+50 % of our energy is from renewable energy.
Some parts of Denmark will be on 100% renewable energy soon. http://energiakademiet.dk/en/vedvarende-energi-o/

green.jpg

Last edited:
You should be fine with the 48mb card, just stick with the normal bitrate firmware version (stock firmware).

You should be fine with the 48mb card, just stick with the normal bitrate firmware version (stock firmware).

Great. You mean dashCam firmware? as I said I bought DAB205 and have no idea is there any firwmare or not. where I can check it?

Yes, the firmware that came with dash cam. Stick with Dome released (unmodified) firmware and you should be fine. Sometimes users modify the firmware and increase the bitrate. You may have an issue if you use a modified version with higher bitrate. For higher bitrate I'd recommend a faster card.

which SD card are you using in DAB2XX? how I know not all sd 10 class cards are compatible.

Back