Ambarella A12 DAB205 or 202,201

I have a Silicon Power 64gb class 10 in a DAB202 that's been working fine.

When you are driving and temp is 35-40 celsius cooling is important. Also when camera can record 1440p. Overheating is not good anyone can confirm this. I think I see different cooling variants in this series. see photo.
I would like confirmation that these variations actually show openings in the case (for cooling) and are not simply design differences with no effect for cooling at all.

The 201 and 202 do have openings in the front side of the case. Are they there specifically for cooling, no idea. I would think it would help. I have not seen a 205 in person yet, but I would think those are openings and it would help with cooling.

The 201 and 202 do have openings in the front side of the case. Are they there specifically for cooling, no idea. I would think it would help. I have not seen a 205 in person yet, but I would think those are openings and it would help with cooling.
Thanks for confirming. I agree that any openings should help--I wanted to make sure these weren't "fake".

What there should then be too is openings at the top, as hot air rise it should dra in cold air at the bottom in a function know as convection.

If there is just holes in the front than yes a little heat might be able to radiate out that way too, but one have to wonder if thats really in any meaningfull ammounts.

This video shows what's behind the openings in the 201. Note that at least one is for the speaker.
I really think they are more about design than cooling.

The A12 is capable of operating at very high temp according to the spec sheet. At a minimum 85c. (They offer 2 versions it seems the second good to 105c. I'm not sure what Dome uses.)
That's a lot warmer than you'll find under any normal circumstance.
http://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/A12A-Product-Brief.pdf

good to have a processor that runs to +105°c, used with a sensor that's only stable to +60°c is still a limiting factor, given it has a lipo battery though those are probably lesser issues but that's something that is easily addressed, need the CMOS sensor manufacturers to lift their game next as that's starting to become the limiting factor now, to be able to do parking mode at least when temps are otherwise an issue for reliable operation

still have a dashcam with the ambarella a7's. are these a12's significantly better? what about the nt96660's?

still have a dashcam with the ambarella a7's. are these a12's significantly better? what about the nt96660's?
Dab205 / S8 is my first dash cam so I don't know but must be.

I can't tell if there's any significant difference in the quality. the a12 just seems a bit brighter. my visions not that good though.

The only way you can properly evaluate the picture quality is with the original file viewed on a monitor capable of the resolution.
Perhaps the easiest and best way is by using an hdmi cable directly from the camera to a 4k TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00608WXGA

yeah, but we're talking about the a12 and a7 under the same resolution. most people just record at 1080p, if there's no significant difference then people should just stick with their a7's if that is the case.

yeah, but we're talking about the a12 and a7 under the same resolution. most people just record at 1080p, if there's no significant difference then people should just stick with their a7's if that is the case.
Here is mine S8 / dab205 1080p 60fps video. soon I'll post 1440p video.

If you only want 1080p they why look at or compare with a camera that does more?
The whole benefit of increased resolution gets tossed out the window.

If you only want 1080p they why look at or compare with a camera that does more?
The whole benefit of increased resolution gets tossed out the window.

because we want them at an even playing field. being that they come from the same manufacturer, we want to know is if the hardware combo + firmware of this a12 + sensor x is significantly better in capturing videos compared to their a7 + sensor x.

So when you purchase a new computer, you underclock the cpu and run Win 3.1? ;)
Each to his own.. I get it... just doesn't make sense to me. Enjoy your quest.

So when you purchase a new computer, you underclock the cpu and run Win 3.1? ;)
Each to his own.. I get it... just doesn't make sense to me. Enjoy your quest.

because most people have only 1080p screens, that is the whole point. you don't need to be smug about it.

Back