Dome GS98C Ambarella A7 Dashcam review (A7LA70, 1296p 30fps, GPS)

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
Dome GS98C Ambarella A7 Dashcam review (A7LA70, 1296p 30fps, GPS)

Thanks to Gearbest for supplying this unit.

Official website: http://www.szdome.com/product-detail-175.html
Product link: Price: $74.99USD w/ free shipping
Coupon: GBGS98C

Review:

From the makers of the Dome Z7 (now discontinued), I was able to get my hands on their latest dashcam offering called the Dome GS98C. The GS98C is a huge improvement over the Z7 (and similar cameras ie. G1W) as it features some of the top specifications available in the dashcam market. The Ambarella A7LA70 chipset (capable of recording in 1296p 30fps or 1080p 60fps) offers pristine video output in both day and night situations. The unit includes a GPS module, 170° wide angle lens, 64GB microSD card support, all standard dashcam functionality, and some extra features you’ll probably never use.

I’m not a fan of the suction cup design and I wish the unit were more discrete. A WiFi feature would’ve been nice but the 2.7” LCD screen allows for easy access to menus/settings, lens positioning, and video playback. Unlike the Z7, the LCD screen can be turned off while driving. I found it odd that the GPS module is built into the suction cup mount, which seems to be proprietary design so if you run into problems with the GPS or the suction mount, it might be difficult to find a replacement. Plenty of users have reported issues with the unit locating a GPS signal. It is not yet confirmed whether it is a software or hardware issue. I turned OFF the GPS function, until a solution is posted.

At $74.99USD, I find the GS98C to be a great value dashcam. It offers some of the best video quality I have ever seen in a dashcam. I’d also like to emphasize that the build quality on this unit is superb – it feels solid and has a good weight to it, almost like it was made of metal rather than cheap creaky plastic. Needless to say, I would still recommend the Mini 0805 (current price at approx. $68USD) over the GS98C mostly due to its discrete form factor, working GPS function and price.

Sample clips:

day sample

night sample

night sample

unboxing

Original sample clips to be uploaded soon

Stock photos:

v3zxedw25kupz1425613673.jpg

Specifications and feature list:

• Chipset Name: Ambarella
  • Chipset : Ambarella A7LA70
  • Special Function: GPS, Loop recording, Key lock, AV-OUT, HDMI output, G-sensor, Auto power on/off, Motion detection, HDMI, Time and date display
  • Max External Card Supported: TF 64G (not included)
  • Screen Size: 2.7inch
  • Screen Type: LCD
  • Screen Resolution: 960 x 240
  • Battery type: Built-in
  • Capacity : 190mAh
  • Charge Way : USB charge by PC
  • Decode Format: H.264
  • Video Format: MP4
  • Video Resolution : 720P (1280 x 720), 1296P (2304 x 1296), 2560 x 1080, 1080P (1920 x 1080)
  • Video System: PAL, NTSC
  • Video Frame Rate: 30fps, 60fps
  • Frequency: 60Hz, 50Hz
  • Video Output: AV-OUT, HDMI
  • Image Format : JPG
  • Image Resolution : 4M (2688×1512), 16M (5312 x 2988), 13M (4800×2700), 9M (4000×2250)
  • Audio System: Built-in microphone/speacker (AAC)
  • Loop-cycle Recording : Yes
  • Loop-cycle Recording Time: 1min, 3min, 5min, Off
  • Motion Detection: Yes
  • GPS: Yes
  • G-Sensor: Yes
  • HDMI Output: Yes
  • Auto-power on: Yes
  • Delay Shutdown: Yes
  • Time Stamp: Yes
  • Interface Type: HDMI, TF card slot, AV-Out
  • Language: French, Polski, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Traditional Chinese, Deutsch, English, Russian

Box contents:

• 1 x GS98C unit,
  • 1 x mini USB Cable,
  • 1 x Car Charger,
  • 1 x Suction Cup Mount with GPS,
  • 1 x English User Manual

Here's a diagram of the general hierarchy of current dashcam chipsets:

201412231411335051.jpg

Last edited:
Dome GS98C vs Dome Z7

oJMDnUU.png

can you place one side by side film on this GS98 vs Z7 please ?

The quality of the video is very different ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I connect rear camera to jack? or AV?

I think, AV output should be for devices that do not have the LCD screen.
Why did the AV output?
Yes need wanted to connect the camera reverse and next its picture was displayed on GS98c

Which diffrent Gs90C or GS98C?
Do you have compare?

Last edited:
Why did the AV output?
Yes need wanted to connect the camera reverse and next its picture was displayed on GS98c

Do you have compare?
Should be similar video quality as both use Ambarella 7.
I'll compare them in next few days.

Last edited:
Why did the AV output?

Do you have compare?

the AV output is to send the picture from the camera to another monitor, you can't use it is an input

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

Dome found a solution to the GPS problem. It appears to be a hardware related issue. The original GPS on suction cup mount design has been ditched. The new GS98C modules will come with a separate suction cup, and a separate GPS module (see image below). Still waiting on my replacement GPS module but other users have reported good results.

1440021488846-P-2731611.jpg

Can anyone offer a review on the units heat dissipation? I live in south Texas, and I am particularly curious if it will be toasted in summer...

Can anyone offer a review on the units heat dissipation? I live in south Texas, and I am particularly curious if it will be toasted in summer...
Weather is too cool to test that now.
It felt warm but not burning hot after driving an hour.

Back