An Accessory that BlackVue Should Have Made.

Omega-TI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
I've been using the polarizing lens for years now, but it's kind of useless at night. What BlackVue or some other company should have done is made a "LENS KIT" that magnifies and brings the image "a little closer" even if it loses a little around the edges.

These "bolt" on lens on lens, for instance for phones are often of a poor quality and it is a compromise approach.
It is better to put a "zoom" lens on a second camera like a few of us have to get that further out capture, cuz it is true that often things happen further out where a normal dashcam will only provide a very remote view of what happened.

Even if i seldom use my zoom cameras footage, then it is actually one of the cameras in my car i would hate to be without, i would rather forgo my side cameras than the zoom camera on the windscreen.

You can of course change the lens on your camera for a permanent solution, but i like the wide view on dashcams, but just not alone.
If anyone made a quality dual channel but both cameras aiming forward and one being a wide angle and the other a "zoom" lens, i would so pick that up.

I have to agree with kamkar, the way to go is with a separate telephoto lens camera. I often consider my zoom lens camera to be more important than any of the other cams I have in my vehicle. Often, it is the telephoto cam that really tells the story and it captures vital details my traditional dash cam doesn't even see.

See THIS post for an example comparison of a simultaneous frame from both a telephoto dash camera and a traditional camera.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but did anyone try fitting or adding another lens? I have the dr900s and have had a couple of incidents where I didn't quite have enough to capture car plates.
Don't want to zoom in too much but just enough to make a difference.

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but did anyone try fitting or adding another lens? I have the dr900s and have had a couple of incidents where I didn't quite have enough to capture car plates.
Don't want to zoom in too much but just enough to make a difference.
As mentioned, you would be better served by adding a second camera fitted with a dedicated telephoto lens rather than fitting a longer lens onto the DR900. Having the original wide angle view plus the second telephoto view is really the best approach. A group of us members here on DCT have been doing that for several years now with excellent results. The link I included in my previous post above shows a good example. See THIS link as well.

Back