Android creator Andy Rubin is making a free dashcam

Its not really free, you are paying whith your personal information.

How will they collect the data ? it will have wifi ?

remember, if the service if free, you're the product
Or in this case the product is free and you're providing the service.

I would imagine they would write something in the EULA that says you can't turn the tracking software off either. Otherwise people would end up with free hardware.

My Tin Foil hat side says run away from this idea. I could only imagine what this would lead to.

This is a commercial endeavor that is really no more invasive (in fact, I'd say even less invasive) than using Gmail, Yahoo, or Google search. Anyone with an Android phone has to realize that the OS is free because of the near-exclusive use of Google products (maps, search, email, etc). We've all sold our privacy for 'free' stuff. This is really just the logical extension of that phenomenon.

Where I have an issue is if the choice is no longer the driver's. For example, OEM installed dash cameras with black boxes, or unknown agreements between these commercial enterprises and government (through secrecy-laden National Security Letters).

Danes will love it, they gladly hand over any and all information to anyone for somthing "free", and even when it get proven that the personal information is handled pretty bad, then they dont seem to care.
Allready now our SSN are wasted or at least hacked ( all 5.5 million of them ) and you dont need google seach results to tell what medecine the individual Dane is on, or for that matter just about anything else on any Dane.

O and soon session loggin by ISPs will start again, we more than just about anyone else are truely a wierd bastard version of the former Soviet Russia :(

I wondered for a long time if any one would make "street view" out of dashcam footage, it seem it will now happen.

I would imagine they would write something in the EULA that says you can't turn the tracking software off either. Otherwise people would end up with free hardware.

My Tin Foil hat side says run away from this idea. I could only imagine what this would lead to.
+1

One step closer to the dream...

Their dream, that is.

I guess proper name would be "Big Brother DashCam" ? :)

I assume this concept will depend on the camera in some way beeing able to UL all of the footage, so if you plug it into a computer with no internet i assume you will still be safe.
I dont expect it to "hijack" the first open wifi network it see and start uploading, that will kill the data plan for a lot of ppl.
Even many ppl around the world that have internet at home, it would still be painfull and in many cases impossible for them having to upload 32 GB or somthing every day.
For me thats not much of a problem if i can UL at full speed, but i am one of the lucky fjew that have a pretty good connection ( 80/60 mbit ATM )

The more i think about the more half assed this idea seem, if i was in on it you would see the same routes driven again and again 90 % of the time i drive.

the privacy concerns really depends on how "connected" it is. if your unit is unique and tied to a personal account i would not want that. but in reality, people have fears of your car being tracked or where you go etc... doesnt matter, your phone could already do that.

the privacy concerns really depends on how "connected" it is. if your unit is unique and tied to a personal account i would not want that. but in reality, people have fears of your car being tracked or where you go etc... doesnt matter, your phone could already do that.

your phone will log plenty of location info, not the kind of tracking that is possible with a dashcam along with pictures, driving habits etc that they are wanting to use

And that's exactly why I don't use anything that even has the tiniest, remotest connection to Google.

Android is a free product. It is also a stolen product (which is essentially why Google can't charge for it). Gmail is certified spyware (remember Google's quote to the public about not expecting any privacy if you use Gmail). If you use Google Search, understand that everything you search is not only stamped with your ip address and permanently stored in their massive data centers, but also cross-referenced against ALL of the data in your ENTIRE Gmail account (yes Google scans every single word in every single one of your emails), or if you have any kind of Android device—the absolute snakepit and mother of all spywares—cross-referenced with its entire contents, including your address book, private notes, apps, phone, photo and video data, current and previous location and travel info, and much, much more. Want to use Google's *free* cloud photo storage/sharing site? Understand that you've essentially signed away the rights to all of your photos for Google to do with as they please, in perpetuity. Ever need to complain and/or sue them over any of this? Read the fine print when you signed up, because you agreed to it. All of it. Google's exponential rate of your privacy's invasion in exchange for their free or cheap services or products is unfathomable.

I stopped using Gmail in 2005 (I was part of a beta testing/launch group), haven't used Google Search in 4 years, trashed my Dropcam the very day Nest bought them (thankfully don't own any Nest products; there's a brilliant idea—let Google spy IN your house), cancelled my Songza account the day they bought them, thankfully have never owned a single Android device (iPhone since 2007) and have only used YouTube with an anonymous email/account for the last 5 years.

Nasty company. Avoid them and anyone having anything to do with them (e.g. this dash cam) LIKE THE PLAGUE, unless, of you course, you don't care about your privacy. What's sad is that the type of people who are wary of this new dashcam are the very people who not only champion Google's products, but are completely unaware of the 24-7 privacy invasion from their Google products (all of which do it on a scale far more massive than this dashcam could ever do).

And for the record, Apple and Microsoft are NOTHING like Google. Each of them collects some level of data to an extent, but nowhere near the same universe or with the same intent, or—and this is a critical point—mine or cross-join your data. You are not Apple's or Microsoft's product. Unlike google.com, you can simply go to apple/microsoft.com or read through their annual reports to understand the full list of their products. With Google, you ARE their product.

Last edited:
^ tinfoil wearer identified. I have news for you, if you do anything online your privacy is gone.

^ tinfoil wearer identified. I have news for you, if you do anything online your privacy is gone.

^^ bury head-in-sand and chief blinders-wearer identified.

Right. So let me be sure I understand: if you do stuff "online" (lol, that term kills me every single time), your "privacy" is already shot ... ergo it's ok for the likes of Google to pillage you in ways none of those other guys can or even thought of doing? Is that sort of like: that dude is already fat, what difference does it make if he gorges on 25 more cakes? Or: that burglar already robbed my bedroom, who cares if 25 more come in to clean out the rest of the house? Is that about right? Feel free to educate me if I'm misrepresenting what you're saying here, cuz I am an eager and apt student.

While you're at it—since you've stepped up as the man with the "news"—what substantive stuff could you tell me about a quaint little company called Acxiom (a small fish compared to some other elusive cats I can't wait to ask you about)? I'm good on the basic to mid stuff (my 15+ years in the valley in various software and engineering roles, including multi-year consulting roles for Google, Apple and several start-ups taught me well). So, I'm asking you to give me some real meaty stuff here (and no you can't Google the kind of info I'm looking for). I would be so indebted to you.

Calm down Francis. No one is saying your 15+ years in "the valley" do not mean anything. You strike me as the type of person who doesn't have many friends.......in real life. How often do you crawl out from your bat cave or tear yourself away from your tor Bitcoin mining machine?

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

For me, I get far more from the likes of Google than I lose. At least for now. They provide an incredibly useful service and take no money out of your pocket.
But if I was a young person, I would be very, very concerned for the future. What will be happening in 20 year's time? Who knows?
Be sure of one thing. They don't provide unpaid for services out of generosity. Their ultimate aim is profit, and your personal interests are near the bottom of their list of priorities, no matter how ethical they claim to be or even think they are.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Old saying, very relevant today.

Very true. Miami-Dade started a pilot program more than a year ago (I'm sure it's quietly gone mainstream) where they use the MAC addresses of bluetooth devices in cars to monitor and control traffic flow (i.e. light timing). Unlike your phone, where you can physically turn it off, nearly all cars today feature OEM stereo head units that can pair (via bluetooth) to phones and media players. That CANNOT be turned off. In essence, as you drive down the road, receivers along your path log and analyzer your digital fingerprint.

The county countered the objections of privacy groups by claiming the system was only being used to monitor traffic in aggregate - and was not being used to track individual MAC addresses. While I'm sure that might be true, it doesn't take much of a leap to see where the technology is going. Government can now obtain your cell phone tower history via subpoena. It won't be long before this data can/will be used to plot every mile you drive. For your safety, of course. Imagine the revenue generation when they can implement a per-mile driven tax... Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

Back