Android creator Andy Rubin is making a free dashcam

Interesting project - I guess Google is just trying to replace their "street view" cars with something which would do the same but would cost less (since they won't be paying you the salary or the cost of your fuel) and would be much, MUCH more "up-to-date" (perhaps even with an ability to view the data in "real time", if it'll have a built-in LTE modem).

Personally I wouldn't mind trying it out if I can also use the recorded video for my personal needs. Don't really care if they know where I'll drive and how fast (they already know that because my smartphone runs Android with "location services" enabled) and I highly doubt they will be recording audio - it's still illegal in some states to record other people's (like your car's passengers) voice without their explicit permission plus anyone can just put a piece of tape on top of the microphone hole.

As for "OMG MORE WAYS FOR EVIL GOOGEL TO ABUSE OUR PRIVACY!!!111oneoneoneeleven" people - I understand your opinion but please also keep in mind the fact that many (most?) people might not feel the same way as you do (they simply don't care about sharing their location/photos/e-mail contents with Advertising agencies in an exchange for other benefits) and it doesn't make those people or the company which collects and uses/resells the data from those people "bad", "stupid", "mindless sheeple" or "evil" in any way. It's all just a matter of personal choice.

Imagine the revenue generation when they can implement a per-mile driven tax...
Oh please. These things already exist for many years and they don't even require any tracking devices on individual vehicles - they're called "toll road/bridge" and "fuel tax".

"Oh please"... Dig a little deeper than your standard evening/local news, and you'll find there are active discussion on how to generate funds for roads since those toll road/bridge/fuel taxes are not covering existing maintenance costs. Already the Federal DOT has approved pilot programs what would allow certain states (Virginia being one of them) tolls on their entire interstate system - just to make ends meet. When people begin to use feeder roads and alternates to the interstate, it won't take long before the idea of a per-mile tax becomes mainstream. Mark my words.

BTW, toll roads in FL are no longer accepting cash. Pay by license plate, or by transponder. So yes, the toll roads DO track individuals.

"Oh please"... Dig a little deeper than your standard evening/local news, and you'll find there are active discussion on how to generate funds for roads since those toll road/bridge/fuel taxes are not covering existing maintenance costs. Already the Federal DOT has approved pilot programs what would allow certain states (Virginia being one of them) tolls on their entire interstate system - just to make ends meet. When people begin to use feeder roads and alternates to the interstate, it won't take long before the idea of a per-mile tax becomes mainstream. Mark my words.

BTW, toll roads in FL are no longer accepting cash. Pay by license plate, or by transponder. So yes, the toll roads DO track individuals.
Yea i am a transportation engineer, even in school years ago we talked about systems that could track your cars in real time to both charge per mile driven (to cover dwindling gas tax) and also for better traffic management.

I don't really care though, I think it is inevitable especially as the gas tax becomes less useful and traffic gets worse.

I'm more concerned about remote control being possible in cars (already) then my car being able to be tracked.

Calm down Francis. No one is saying your 15+ years in "the valley" do not mean anything. You strike me as the type of person who doesn't have many friends.......in real life. How often do you crawl out from your bat cave or tear yourself away from your tor Bitcoin mining machine?

Bwaaahaahaahaa. So much venom and anger for an intrepid "news" man.

Let's recap.

I post a comment about Google, and you decide to flame.

I then toss you a few softball questions—on topic—and instead of simply answering one singular question, you ... surprise ... hurl insults. That's literally all you've done so far: flame and insult.

Let me dumb things down to a language you can better understand. Since you've revealed the "news" that your "privacy" is already shot, just go ahead and share your list of logins and passwords with me. I want your bank account number and your medical and criminal records, too. Reveal to me your most private photos and contents of your pink diary. In fact, forget all of that and just give me your email so I can send you a harmless little .exe that'll change your life in ways you've only dreamed about. I'll redefine your entire existence ... for free! Shouldn't be that difficult of a choice to make since, as you've clearly claimed, your "privacy" is already shot, k?

Look, you've obviously proved to be nothing more than an elementary and boring troll. Yawn. Either man-up and show conviction for your comments, or, shut up and put your blinders back on, bend over nice and wide, and bury your head in the sand. Predators like Google love you in that position.

Last edited:
As for "OMG MORE WAYS FOR EVIL GOOGEL TO ABUSE OUR PRIVACY!!!111oneoneoneeleven" people - I understand your opinion but please also keep in mind the fact that many (most?) people might not feel the same way as you do (they simply don't care about sharing their location/photos/e-mail contents with Advertising agencies in an exchange for other benefits) and it doesn't make those people or the company which collects and uses/resells the data from those people "bad", "stupid", "mindless sheeple" or "evil" in any way. It's all just a matter of personal choice.

That's a valid argument that I don't think anyone is contesting: some people just don't care about their privacy.

The problem (for the most part) is that people are uninformed, and they're making decisions accordingly. Not necessarily a crime; all us are uninformed on any number of things at some point or another.

For example, most people don't know they're walking around with a mouthful of the planet's second worst neuro-toxin (next to plutonium) within mere inches of their brains. Most people are just unaware of the amount of mercury in those dental amalgams (silver fillings) and the risk for toxicity (potentially contributing to a whole host of issues ranging from depression, anxiety, fatigue, fibromyalgia and far, far worse). If they knew the truth maybe they'd make different choices, or, maybe they would keep things the same; at least they are then making informed decisions.

Afaic, the only "stupid" and "mindless sheeple" are those that defy any willingness to learn or employ any level of critical thought on such matters.

Last edited:
Back