Any crash tested dashcams?

That is one reason why good cameras have the card exiting from the the sides, never from the front or back where the g-force of an accident may move it.

It is actually locked, but only by friction, it is always reasonably easy to pull one out using pliers.

I see what you are getting at NIgel, but If you ever were to witness the occasional conditions of the some of the mountain roads regularly I drive on you would understand that it may not matter what direction the memory card slot is facing. The shocks and vibrations can be rather intense and sustained when one is driving dirt and gravel roads during certain times of year.

All in all, of the various shock and vibration issues I've had to contend with in 12 years of dash cam ownership and testing, having a memory card pop out or lose connection has never really been a problem. Perhaps once or twice, if that and then I've never been certain the memory card was at fault. I'm more likely to experience a power drop out from a cable plug working loose or perhaps a camera vibration or mount problem.

it is always reasonably easy to pull one out using pliers.

I managed to pull the tf card out with my fingers. True the friction is what keeps it in.

I only mentioned it as it is possible to slide out. Gopro have factored that in it seems and prevented it.

On the T130 the memory card points down when set for right hand drive.
When testing it i drove on some really rough roads but it didn't fall out.

However in a collision that might be different. I'm not doing that test to find out either!

On the subject of sd cards coming out of dashcams. I remember watching a series about police crash investigators.

In one episode about a fatal crash the car was fitted with a dashcam. When it was checked at the scene no sd card was present in it. The only witness was the other driver who claimed he couldn't remember anything of the accident. No dashcam in his car.

When the investigating officer got the car back to the recovery site he decided to have a more thorough check of the interior, as he thought it odd to have a dashcam and not use it. He found the sd card Lodged under the floor mat in the passenger side footwell.

This contained the footage of the incident. Which helped to prove the fault lay with the other driver.

Sent from my BV6800Pro using Tapatalk

However in a collision that might be different. I'm not doing that test to find out either!
You could test how much g-force is needed to pull a card out, then if we can work out how much g-force you get in an accident we can work out if it is safe or not. The cards are quite light, it must need several times their weight (several g) to pull one out, but I can't guess how many times...

I believe one of the most important questions which has not been asked yet is "Is your child okay?" I sure hope so! Prayers that his/her recovery from this frightening incident goes as well as possible.

It's not very comforting to hear your dashcam provider, after a serious accident say, "Sorry but it happens sometimes." Well unfortunately, your experience with dashcams is not at all unusual. Those types of incidents get reported often on this forum.

i understand that no matter what product or service one purchases, budget is always a factor. But I am amazed at how many people avoid a more expensive dashcam (ie, Blackvue, Thinkware, etc... ) when they really don't have to. - I think our children, friends and family are too important than to buy a product because it costs less and is purported to have great "bang for the buck".

Eventually dashcam consumers are awoken to how important dashcam functionality and customer service happen to be.

Btw, I'm sure there are a number of dashcam companies that have on their websites, serious accidents that have been caught on their dashcams. - I know Blackvue does, and I'm sure many others do as well.

Once again, I sure hope your son/daughter is okay.

Edit: I don't know how long you have had your A129 Duo Pro, but it is very important that SD cards get reformatted once a month.

Most new dashcam consumers think a dashcam is like a dishwasher. Plug it in and leave it. Unfortunately that's not the case. - - Much like one could understand that driving a car without changing the oil is not wise, new dashcam users need to know about the importance of dashcam maintenance.

A majority of dashcam problems, including faulty recordings can normally be traced back to the SD card. - - Reformatting the sd card will make the card much more efficient.

I hope this information helps.
I call BS on maintenance. Read all the articles. Dash cams do not record the actual crash! Mine recorded up to 1 minute prior and 1 minute after my crash!!!

Back