Any dashcam with AV input out there?

Conductor

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings everyone, I am new to the forum.
I have an old toyo corolla which has a rear view camera above number plate wired but not attached.
I would like to set up a mid range dash cam (upon reading the reviews viofo duo 119 range).
But sometimes in a difficult parking situation I would like to see an image from the rear view cam. I do not care if I have to plug it manually for that. Just do not want to put extra screen or replace an old HU just for that.
Thus the question- any dash cam can take a plain av ntsc input from its rear camera? I noticed that viofos have some sorta usb connector to plug in rear cam?
Thanks in advance!

Rear facing dash cams are not suitable for parking. You really need a dedicated back-up camera. You may be able to use your existing Corolla rear-view camera with an aftermarket separate monitor which is designed for this purpose.

Aside from that I'm not aware of any dash cams that have an AV input. Many have an AV output however, so if you see cameras with an AV port that is what they are referring to.

Thanks, Dashmellow.
Out of curiosity- what is the interface between rear facing camera and the main camera unit- is it really usb? Or what sort of signal is there?

Thanks, Dashmellow.
Out of curiosity- what is the interface between rear facing camera and the main camera unit- is it really usb? Or what sort of signal is there?
not compatible, your reverse camera will be an analogue AV output, won't interface with any Viofo model, it would work with some mirror dashcams but those are not great as dashcams so not something I'd suggest anyway

Thanks, Dashmellow.

As I said earlier you would need a small dedicated monitor designed for a back-up camera. Something like this:

monitor.jpg

Small inexpensive monitors like this can be found on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere.

Thanks, Dashmellow.

Monitors like the one in the photo I posted have analogue RCA plugs like @jokiin is referring to and thus should be compatible with your existing back-up camera.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was just thinking of having less screens and power connectors- not sure where to mount that monitor either, which I won’t use too often anyway. And a cam has a screen which could be used…
But anyway if this is how most ppl set it up, maybe I shall look at getting the monitor and attaching cam vc out to it as well.)

Thanks, I was just thinking of having less screens and power connectors- not sure where to mount that monitor either, which I won’t use too often anyway. And a cam has a screen which could be used…
But anyway if this is how most ppl set it up, maybe I shall look at getting the monitor and attaching cam vc out to it as well.)

FWIW, there are smaller monitors available that do the same thing.(3-4 inch) Maybe one of those would work better for you?

Last edited:
Back