Any one know any statistics of how many people own dashcams?

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
anyone got any statistics in percentages, not just a guess, on how many people in each country around the world now own a dash cam?? and use it.

Korea and Taiwan are the highest per capita but Russia has the largest volume overall, uptake rate in Russia is close to 40% at the moment, most other markets are very small at this stage, there's no real market stats available but I'd expect in most western markets the penetration rate would be below 1% which is nothing, it does mean there's massive growth potential though

The most close things to any actual numbers I seen is that one time DashCamMan had posted the numbers or percent of visitors to this site by country based on ip address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Korea and Taiwan are the highest per capita but Russia has the largest volume overall, uptake rate in Russia is close to 40% at the moment

Thanks. Very nice to see these numbers. Where do get your figures?

90% drivers in Russia has camera in car.

I recon since the meteorite footage in Russia there was a lot of interest in dash cams

I know it raised a lot of questions like "why the hell are they filming them self drive?"

While this doesn't answer the question the % of people who use a dash cam per country, the following are where the visitors of DashCamTalk came from last month.

Code:
United States          32.8%
United Kingdom         12.3%
Canada                 11.0%
Australia               6.8%
Singapore               2.8%
Russia                  2.7%
Germany                 2.6%
Netherlands             2.1%
Poland                  1.9%
Romania                 1.6%
France                  1.5%
Israel                  1.4%
Belarus                 1.1%
Belgium                 1.0%
China                   1.0%
Thailand                0.8%
Taiwan                  0.7%
Ukraine                 0.7%
Czech Republic          0.7%
South Korea             0.7%

Outside of Russia and Asian countries (South Korea, Taiwan), dash cam usage still appears to be very low.

I think in the coming years dashcams in the US will be the norm. Take rear-view backup cams are mandated by 2015-16? Sooner or later the US will turn that camera forward; I'm surprised it hasn't mandated yet but it will be if the US is smart enough.

I, personally, know a dozen people who use dashcams and only one of them comes on here (me).
I know many more who keep saying they will get one - but never get around to it!
The original link in the thread '6 reasons to own a dashcam' doesn't seem to work anymore, however, iirc, one of the comments was quite negative towards users - seemed to be insinuating that we are a bunch of geeky saddos - and this view is echoed around the web.

I have never seen anyone driving with a dashcam in Australia as yet, only 2 people I know have one, one came from jokiin, my referral, uses all the time and another mate has a $20 Chinese cheapie he rarely uses, its just for show mainly as its garbage, he uses it when he remembers to plug it in. a mate of mine is from korea, he reckons dash cam usage is a lot over there as if you run into someone it is expensive he reckons and they try to scam you. but he doesn't have one here.

I think there are a lot of reasons why people don't buy cameras - the main one being "what do I need a camera for?" leading onto "I'm a perfectly safe driver, been driving 40 years & never had an accident" - yeah, because 40 years ago all the loons weren't even born, cars didn't have speedometers, they used calenders & the only way to get 0-60 in less than half an hour was by driving off a cliff.
And even someone who has been in a prang may have been lucky in that someone came forward as their witness OR it was blindingly obvious who was at fault.
It's strange that people pay hundreds if not thousands each year to insure their car and yet refuse to pay as little as £30 for a G1W - Surely having video footage of someone else's stupidity is THE best insurance?
And I'm still at a huge loss as to why the powers that be in this (or other) country aren't pushing for cams when you consider all the benefits they offer, especially at a time when the industry is constantly moaning about all the insurance scams there are out there and how much 'they'** are losing because of false claims (**of course, all those 'losses' are passed along to the honest motorist so insurance companies will never really make a loss!) .

I just ordered my 4 camera, ( G1W )
But this one will not go in the car :confused: it will go on my pcp airrifle to dokument my kills :D

Allso this time i remembered to get the super cap for the mobius that i fogot to buy when i got the Little camera :)

I am not supriced Denmark is not on that list, in general dashcams clash with our culture of big brother ( the goverment ) take care of everything.

the main one being "what do I need a camera for?" leading onto "I'm a perfectly safe driver, been driving 40 years & never had an accident"
I hear this all the time, and reguadless of weather or not the person saying it is a safe driver as you mentioned it's the other people i'm worried about. The guy in front of us that looks like he has had to many to drink. That lady to the left with her head stuck in her phone. The guy looking down to grab something that fell on the floor not noticing the light 150 feet away is now red.

The original link in the thread '6 reasons to own a dashcam' doesn't seem to work anymore, however, iirc, one of the comments was quite negative towards users - seemed to be insinuating that we are a bunch of geeky saddos - and this view is echoed around the web.
It was some girl who oddly enough owns or at least uses as an avatar picture of some Mazda maybe a 3 or 6 with a Mazda FC RX-7 convertible next to it.
If I had a decent sporty rear wheel drive convertible rotary car that only a bit over five thousand of ended up in the USA the first thing I would buy is a DashCamera.

Last edited:
I'm curious how every one feels about any possible law in their countries requiring dash cams, I love the idea of voluntarily having my own, but If I was told I had to have one or cars had to be built with them or any other type of black box my opinion changes. My first inclination would be to dress up like a native and jettison the offending devices into the harbor.

Should be mandatory.
Manufacturer should be providing some sort of mounting option - and maybe even including a basic setup just to get you going?
In much the same way as car radios aren't essential & shouldn't be included* - especially those that are almost wholly integrated into the car's systems. *or at the very least, a basic spec head unit that can be easily swapped out.

Every car has a rear view mirror dangling down, behind this is generally an area of black dots (to act as a kind of sunshield) - so some sort of enclosure could be placed here (along with a suitable power supply)?
Many cars now include stuff in this area - rain sensors, additional interior lighting etc.

Use of cams should be included in the Ts & Cs of your insurance - I assume every country's cars have to be insured?

Back