Anyone got a rear window mounted cam?

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you ahve a rear window mounted cam, do you have any pictures you can upload here as im trying to find out a good way to mount it thats inconspicious so it dont get flogged.

Mounting on a back window is never an easy thing. You have the rear defroster lines, which makes suction mounts pretty much useless. Also, the angle of the window in some cars and most all SUVs / pickups is not suitable for the angle the mount will allow. Unless you have one of these that can basically do two 90 degree angles.
http://www.actioncameras.co.za/images/P ... 201-01.jpg

This is in a Cadillac Escalade I drilled a small hole for a bolt in the plastic trim (cheap and east to replace if needed) around the top of the window, right in the middle. Then I made a bracket that uses velcro which works great on this camera because it has a large enough place for the velcro to hold onto. It is not the prettiest thing in the world, but it gets the job done. And with the tinted glass, you can not see anything from the outside looking in. Holds it very firm with no shaking at all. Very solid. I have the 'image flip' set to ON for this camera because of the USB cable being on the bottom. Flipping the image allows me to have the USB plug on the top, which just hides everything a little better.

647B939C-6EA6-4515-8583-0E387ED6A599-4659-000005C34766A47F_zps655a5543.jpg

5BDA22AD-B6B1-4AAE-8E61-3FA45E5D5209-4659-000005C3592EF4E4_zpsdd9b7b2d.jpg

This one is in a old toyota pickup. This is more of a permanent mounting option lol . . . I drilled a small self tapping screw into the roof where the 3rd brake light housing is so it is not exposed to the outside of the vehicle. The mount is just a piece of flat stock I bent accordingly and used a 1/4' bolt to attach the camera. Again, a VERY secure mount with absolutely no shaking. Nothing worse in my opinion than a shaky, wobbly mount. I do have to pick up a 90 degree, right angle usb mini plug so it doesn't hang down as much as shown in the pics.

534EFD3D-1817-4BFD-AE48-DFD922B1EE08-4659-000005C36C7981C9_zpse9562ea8.jpg

C6C41E02-9E8C-49F4-9087-E3A5A61D10AA-4659-000005C37B2A1FEC_zps640ee009.jpg

1795D81A-8058-4E22-8FC4-9E1DF67C3ACB-4659-000005C381CDDB63_zpsb07c705d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, my problem is a mazda 6 sedan, trying to work out how to mount it, a DR400g-HD, if it stick it to the rear window it stand out like the sun in the sky on a clear day, need to work out a way to mount it higher so less obvious, cant drill holes in trim, not easy.

wozzzzza said:
cool, my problem is a mazda 6 sedan, trying to work out how to mount it, a DR400g-HD, if it stick it to the rear window it stand out like the sun in the sky on a clear day, need to work out a way to mount it higher so less obvious, cant drill holes in trim, not easy.

maybe a sticker on the rear window, like the car dealership, car make, I shoot and I vote, whatever and a small cutout where the lens goes, might be a way to conceal the cam so less conspicuous and also offer a bit of shade from direct sunlight, just a thought

Just mounted mine in my sedan... Just stick it onto the window with the mount.

Yes it's bright and silver, but it's a tiny camera. No one will really notice it unless they're looking for dashcams like I always do when I look at other people's cars.

If you think it stands out, just put black electrical tape around it... like I did.

2reo7yc.jpg

I have a Blackvue HD350 in the rear of my VW Passat Wagon It is mounted up under the trim across the rear as it was easier than running the wires into the tailgate.

Works perfectly as its hard plastic trim it sticks on fine.

yeah sticker is not a bad idea, i had though of tinting strip but needs to go down too far, but a sticker maybe the go.
even mounting it on the plastic trim, will have a look tomorrow to see how solid it is and go from there.
eventually when i get it in there i will post a pic of it, who knows how long that will be though.

Chad said:
Mounting on a back window is never an easy thing. You have the rear defroster lines, which makes suction mounts pretty much useless.

my question is if adhesive stickers (such as the ones provided in blackvue) will be strong enough to safely hold the mount and camera, even if placed over defroster lines.
in addition, question is also for the front window, where my car has a relative big area with some kind of black dots to protect from sun and the surface here is also not flat. in this area, i already tested suction mounts and it does not work at all, it falls after few seconds. so i am not sure about adhesive stickers.
any idea if this could work?

my car front window is similar to this one, where the black doted area can be observed
2yzfl1l.jpg

most adhesive mounts use 3M VHB (very high bond) material, you'll find it's more than capable for your needs

petardo said:
so i am not sure about adhesive stickers.
any idea if this could work?

my car front window is similar to this one, where the black doted area can be observed
the stuff that comes with the holder from factory is fine for them dots thing, i ahve it stuck over dots and never fallen off, mate of mine has his stuck over dots and never fallen off. had my previous dr400g on the dots for 12 months and never fell off and was not easy to get off to change to dr500g, so i can confirm it will stick like glue.

anyone got any more rear window pics??

I have a 230 degree angle dashcam on the rear windows. PICS here: viewtopic.php?t=858
MPGIO Grandview arrived {PICS}

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
most adhesive mounts use 3M VHB (very high bond) material, you'll find it's more than capable for your needs

wozzzzza said:
the stuff that comes with the holder from factory is fine for them dots thing, i ahve it stuck over dots and never fallen off, mate of mine has his stuck over dots and never fallen off. had my previous dr400g on the dots for 12 months and never fell off and was not easy to get off to change to dr500g, so i can confirm it will stick like glue.

thanks for the answers!

for rear window, im also interested to see more pictures

petardo said:
jokiin said:

wozzzzza said:

thanks for the answers!

for rear window, im also interested to see more pictures

Here are the pics of my Blackvue 350 It is held on using 3M TWINLOCK tape This is like Velcro but much better Have had cameras fixed for over 2 years with it.

This one is through the rear window The vehicle is a 2010 VW Passat TDI Wagon

This is with taildoor open

This one a close up showing the 3M tape Hopefully The camera is centered correctly Just the photos are out of line a bit

View out the back

so visible, just dont like how visible they are in back windows.

wozzzzza said:
so visible, just dont like how visible they are in back windows.

Not really Look at the one I posted through the back window From 2 carlengths away you can hardly see either one as both are black .

I only took closeups to show what they look like

wozzzzza said:
had my previous dr400g on the dots for 12 months and never fell off and was not easy to get off to change to dr500g, so i can confirm it will stick like glue.

Did your black dots get messed up when you took the VHB tape off?

no its very hard to fuk up them black dots, you have to have something like metal scraper to get rid of them as they seem to be put on in the manufacturing process and don't come off.

wozzzzza said:
no its very hard to fuk up them black dots, you have to have something like metal scraper to get rid of them as they seem to be put on in the manufacturing process and don't come off.

They are put on a windscreen to give an area that receives signals for various equipment.

Some cars have material in the windscreen that prevents this and this area is put in to get over that problem I wouldnt advise removing them as they are bonded to the screen

Thoses dots in the top part of the screen
Usually above the mirror
Are for sun glare

The previous poster is right they are bonded to the screen

And even if you wanted the take your mount of after 6 months or year
The worst will be you will have some 3m leftovers on the screen

Then just use simple twin lock Velcro
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use that stuff to hang tools on the inside of my van

Easy as pie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk