Anyone had their dashcam stolen?

jhbodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought my first dashcam for my car (a BMW Advanced Car Eye) and it is quite noticeable looking in from outside through the windscreen. Having had a satnav stolen in the past, I just wondered if people would break in and steal this - even though stealing the camera part in itself would be of no use to them?

It also has a flashing LED that can be switched on when parked - not sure if this would be a good thing (because it shows it's live) or a bad thing (because it draws attention to it).

I've yet to read any reports of someone's dashcam being stolen from their car. The only thing I heard is one of my customers used to take their dashcam off the windshield once parked, and put it in their purse. While she was at a mall shopping, someone pick pocketed it. I gave her a discount on a replacement.

I didn't even know bmw made there own dashcam. Anything can be stolen including dashcams but I haven't heard of any stories either except for the one Pier28 mentioned.

I didn't even know bmw made there own dashcam. Anything can be stolen including dashcams but I haven't heard of any stories either except for the one Pier28 mentioned.

BMW just licensed to use their logo on one of Korean dashcams.
I believe if BMW would make dashcams from A to Z, - it would look more German-way ( nice, discrete, conservative, practical )

I just wondered if people would break in and steal this - even though stealing the camera part in itself would be of no use to them
I don't think the thieves will search on internet to see if the dashcam worth or not the effort. If you let something in your car and someone wants to steal it, then, probably, he will break a window. Sometimes it costs more to repair the damages than the stolen item.

I believe if BMW would make dashcams from A to Z, - it would look more German-way ( nice, discrete, conservative, practical )
are there any german dashcam companies?

are there any german dashcam companies?

Yes, there are developers, but of course assembly is in China. From my head I remember "Rollei" and so called Mini 08xx. There were few more, but I can't remember now the names.

Haven't heard anyone else had their dash cam stolen. I guess being a camera, thieves are hesitant to steal it as "someone" can be watching.

Kelvin

You forgot to add the main thing that goes with BMW, ( nice, discrete, conservative, practical ) and expensive. ;)

You forgot to add the main thing that goes with BMW, ( nice, discrete, conservative, practical ) and expensive. ;)

I was surprised to find that I could afford to BUY a 10-15 year old BMW, Mercedes, and jaguar (even in convertible form). However, when I look at the cost of repairs I decided to stick with a 10-15 year old american car instead.

I saw a jaguar with 60,000 miles selling for $1,500 as parts only. The reason? It needed a transmission. Everything else was working fine.

I was surprised to find that I could afford to BUY a 10-15 year old BMW, Mercedes, and jaguar (even in convertible form). However, when I look at the cost of repairs I decided to stick with a 10-15 year old american car instead.

I saw a jaguar with 60,000 miles selling for $1,500 as parts only. The reason? It needed a transmission. Everything else was working fine.
Jaguar is really costly for repairs/maintenance compared to Bimmer or Benz.
In fact, Benz is the least expensive to repair by paying others while Bmw is cheaper if some work is done by yourself otherwise no...
Just for the kicks, I'm thinking about buying a few years old Mercedes as I always wanted to own one.

My wife's brother-in-law was an engineer at Ford Motor Co. when they owned Jaguar. His position allowed him to lease any vehicle in the 'Ford family' at a ridiculously low price. He chose to get a Jaguar (I don't remember which one) and claimed the only reason he kept it to the end of the lease period is because he could get it serviced/repaired at work with a simple phone call. The mechanics would come to his office and pick it up and return it when finished. He claimed about once every two weeks was the norm.

Guess I'm the first to report then, my dash cam was stolen last night :p

Despite the fact I deliberatley park under a shop CCTV camera, someone decided to smash a window and take my dash cam. However in the process they broke the mount (as half of it was still attached to the windscreen) and snapped the cable... so now they have a dash cam with no way to mount or charge it. The thieves in my area are not the brightest bunch :p

I should also mention that it was a cheap knock-off of the GS8000 which I got for £15 from ebay - terrible quality and an endless list of problems associated with it. I kinda feel sorry for whoever has it now!

Guess I'm the first to report then, my dash cam was stolen last night :p

Despite the fact I deliberatley park under a shop CCTV camera, someone decided to smash a window and take my dash cam. However in the process they broke the mount (as half of it was still attached to the windscreen) and snapped the cable... so now they have a dash cam with no way to mount or charge it. The thieves in my area are not the brightest bunch :p

I should also mention that it was a cheap knock-off of the GS8000 which I got for £15 from ebay - terrible quality and an endless list of problems associated with it. I kinda feel sorry for whoever has it now!
That's what I hate about the break ins, replacing window is much more expensive than the stuff they steal. :mad:
I had my radio and some change stolen almost 10 years ago, may be worth $90 but I had to pay over $200 to replace the window. :(

That's what I hate about the break ins, replacing window is much more expensive than the stuff they steal. :mad:
I had my radio and some change stolen almost 10 years ago, may be worth $90 but I had to pay over $200 to replace the window. :(
not to mention that it seems to be impossible to clean up 100% of the broken glass. when my first car was broken into (and then NOTHING stolen, not even the change in the cup holders!) i always heard a piece or two of glass every time i closed the door. and every time i vacuumed inside, i'd find yet another piece of glass.

Back