Has anyone actually had their Dashcam stolen from inside your car?

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious how many people here have actually had or knows of someone that has had a dashcam from the vehicle during a vehicle burglary or while parked for service somewhere? Or if someone had pulled the memory card out?

One of the things I warn my customers about is leaving the audio on on their dashcams, many of them are talking business inside their car while driving and of course if someone stole the dashcam they would be able to listen to all of their private conversations. It's for this reason I utilize the audio button on my dashcams and make sure I keep the audio off while having private conversations.

I have been using dash cams for years, and following several dashcam forums. I have never heard of any dash cam being stolen in a car break in. I also have not heard of a market for used dash cams.

...I also have not heard of a market for used dash cams.
This is the thing. Other than pure malicious vandalism things are stolen for their value - if there's no perceived value the low lifes won't take the risk.

I had my car broken into a while back, apparently the person was looking for a gasoline card, which i assume some Danes are stupid enough to have on the car and with the PIN written on it.
I did get the mirror in the car vandalized due to the cabin camera sitting on its stalk, but none of the 4-5 systems in the car was stolen or the 256 GB memory cards in them or the spare memory cards lying in the center console.

Now a long - long time ago i was in the get something for something else game, and while i would gladly take big garbage plastic bags filled with cartons of cigarettes - new clothe of various kinds - weapons - gold and precious stones, then the really big stuff like TVs ASO was not things i or similar people was very much interested in.
I suppose a action camera in its own would also have " sold " as it is a complete package in itself, but something like a dashcam without its mount - power supply and / or maybe the rear camera i dont think would be interesting.

Of course if you found a nice laptop on the back of a car that would be interesting too, but when i was in that game it was the 1980ties so not really the case, even a video recorder was still the size of a Javalin missile launcher.

Of course there is also a significant difference in culture / society between little old Denmark and the US to take into account.

Stealth of a dashcam for me personally are still one of the top 3 things i would want, so nothing with big screens - a big footprint in the mounting system, or flashy colors or bezels / writing on it.
But it is more of a PPL not see - PPL not be butt hurt about it, which could lead to physical konfrontation, or vandalism.

Back