anyone receive their SJ8 Pro yet?

Yep a comment to me asking one of the early SJ8 pro posters to post some video from scenarios where the sensor / camera have a lot to do.

VLC commits a number of sins including with audio lists, not looking up cddb titles (asked about that, the reply was fine example of the snotty reply) etc., etc. As I said it's a necessary evil. I would like to find a viable alternative. So far, nada.

I don't think there's any perfect player but some certainly have some features that makes them more worthwhile than others, I tend to use a few different players depending on what the file is and what I'm looking for

I tend to use a few different players depending on what the file is and what I'm looking for

Same here but MPC are the default player for the most standard video file formats.

@benjos How hot does the SJ8 get when it's shooting video? And when it's charging?

I saw official SJ activity on YT today, so they cant be all gone.

"we'll be soon posting LOTS of videos in VERY challenging conditions :) Please stay tuned to our official channel".
i reckon it's like what YouTube has become where sellers give it to the highest-subscriber count YouTubers, and leave us smaller forums in the dark. More audience for them that way :(

@benjos How hot does the SJ8 get when it's shooting video? And when it's charging?
It gets warm to the touch while recording and charging at the same time (while using H265 encoding). I haven't tested the camera too much. I drove for short trips (about 10 minutes each) with window mount and upside down and during noon with outside temperature of 72 F. With the battery installed, after I stopped recording, I took out the battery and it was very warm. I later left the battery out.

I noticed that while in Video mode, the 1080p 60fps Ultra mode, that there is no option for the Gyro sensor but in the regular 1080p 60fps mode (but not 120fps) you can turn on/off the Gyro sensor.
In Car mode, I never see the Gyro sensor option. The Gyro sensor may only be for image stabilization and not for detecting if the camera is upside down. When I turn the camera upside down (even in Video mode), the user interface never flips. When I recorded in Ultra mode, the video recording of my drive was still upside down (due to the window mount). I hope SJCam updates the firmware to add upside down mode and enable the Gyro sensor for Car Mode.

The Distortion Correction option is not available in certain resolutions (such as 4K 60fps).

Also when the battery is out of the device, the clock will reset back to 5/5/2018 00:00 after some time of not having power (not sure how long it keeps the time for without the battery).

Last edited:
1080/60 ultra probably mean ultra wide FOV and so the whole sensor is used to make up the image, and then there are no sensor left to EIS chase the image around on.
So i recon if 1080/60 ultra are binning, shouldent the sensor then be more light sensitive in that mode as more sensor pixels are combined to make 1 pixel in the footage.

Regular 1080/60 are probably just from the middle 2.1 megapixel of the sensor, and so plenty of sensor around that to chase the image around on.

So when changing batteries if the date resets, that means the PCB doesn't have the date keeping capacitor, or it's not operating! The Sj7 keeps the date/time.

Are you willing (and able) get a handheld IR temperature "gun" at Harbor Freight? Having data from that will give a sense of what the temperatures are. In some instances the SJ7 can get up to some astoundingly high temperatures, enough to produce 1st degree burns (sort like beginning sunburn).

Overall, the SJ8 firmware sounds to be surprisingly disappointing. Things like inverting should have been put right. The inability to keep the clock going is a huge step backward. Having dual WiFI frequencies is nice for people who're unwilling to simply move the SD from the camera to an SD reader ("sneaker net" has an extremely high data rate vs WiFi).

The lack of consistent EIS is also a disappointment. The use of "gyro" has always been an annoyance. I doubt there's a real gyro in the unit. EIS is what it's name says, Electronic Image Stabilization. The data from the image is used to sense image motion and move the image accordingly. The motion needs some "space" to shove the image around to limit motion to an acceptable rate.

I'm not sure I see the compelling reasons to move to the SJ8 that I expected. Add in missing the initial statement of offering voice (IMHO no great loss) and GPS (greater potential value, although I haven't used it on the Hero 5 Black), and SJCam seems to be retreating to being just one more GoPro wanna-be. Given the promise of the SJ7, this is very disappointing for SJCam product owners.

Sjcam's unwillingness to install a proper image inversion always irked me.
Yi 4k plus firmware allows an "auto" menu choice-my cam inverts the image within seconds of turning the cam over on its head!

Are you willing (and able) get a handheld IR temperature "gun" at Harbor Freight? Having data from that will give a sense of what the temperatures are. In some instances the SJ7 can get up to some astoundingly high temperatures, enough to produce 1st degree burns (sort like beginning sunburn).

Overall, the SJ8 firmware sounds to be surprisingly disappointing. Things like inverting should have been put right. The inability to keep the clock going is a huge step backward. Having dual WiFI frequencies is nice for people who're unwilling to simply move the SD from the camera to an SD reader ("sneaker net" has an extremely high data rate vs WiFi).

The lack of consistent EIS is also a disappointment. The use of "gyro" has always been an annoyance. I doubt there's a real gyro in the unit. EIS is what it's name says, Electronic Image Stabilization. The data from the image is used to sense image motion and move the image accordingly. The motion needs some "space" to shove the image around to limit motion to an acceptable rate.

I'm not sure I see the compelling reasons to move to the SJ8 that I expected. Add in missing the initial statement of offering voice (IMHO no great loss) and GPS (greater potential value, although I haven't used it on the Hero 5 Black), and SJCam seems to be retreating to being just one more GoPro wanna-be. Given the promise of the SJ7, this is very disappointing for SJCam product owners.
AND, it costs too much!! What of the 8x zoom, another basically useless option , the utility of, the novice photog would not normally appreciate?

It's becoming too easy to point out the omissions and mistakes and "eye wash". It's looking more and more like an unsuccessful sequel to a good movie. I suppose $300 vs $200 for the SJ7 is understandable, but are the changes worth it?

I drove with the camera mounted to the windshield (without battery installed) for about an hour during 68-70 degree weather and with the A/C on. After I stopped, I felt the camera and the body was hot such that it felt a bit uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds. I was using 1080p 60fps H265.

Sigh... it sounds as though a) the new body cover isn't very good about unloading heat, and b) SJCam f/w hasn't gotten heat under control, anymore than with the SJ7.

@benjos Thanks for all of your input.

To avoid non-stop ripping the SJ8, what do you like about the SJ8?

@benjos
Which FW version are you using? V1.1.0?
Don't you have any problem with recording sound too small?
If I record a video clip in normal state, it's hard to hear the recording sound while playing it.
Only in the max setting of the volume, I can hear of it.
SJCAM told they reported this issue to R&D and next FW will be enhanced.
But I wonder if others also experience same issue as I couldn't find this issue from any forums.

I like that it can record in H265, but wished it would do 4K 60fps or 1080p 120fps with H265.
I like that it has a car mode that can automatically turn on when power is sent to the camera.

I'm using firmware v1.1.0. I didn't notice the recorded sound being low. I'll post a video example of 1080p 60fps while driving on the freeway with the air conditioning on and the windows closed and playing music. You can clearly hear the GPS navigation around 3:50.

Here's the link to the raw (H265) video:
https://mega.nz/#!PzRQ2BSQ!75-K66fO53PD54QPQzGxZgGmycYf5OFUlKa1PKSShJ0

The video is upside down due to the window mount and the firmware not having a flip orientation feature. You can flip the video in VLC by going to Tools > Effects and Filters > Video Effects tab > Geometry tab > Rotate

I think that it is hard to identify the license plates unless the car is close; this may be due to the 170 degree FOV lens. I have Distortion Correction turned on which reduces the fish-eye effect and loses a few degrees of FOV. EIS is off since this is in Car Mode and there is no setting for it in Car Mode.

Last edited:
Here's the link to the raw (H265) video:
https://mega.nz/#!PzRQ2BSQ!75-K66fO53PD54QPQzGxZgGmycYf5OFUlKa1PKSShJ0

I think that it is hard to identify the license plates unless the car is close; this may be due to the 170 degree FOV lens. I have Distortion Correction turned on which reduces the fish-eye effect and loses a few degrees of FOV. EIS is off since this is in Car Mode and there is no setting for it in Car Mode.
You have distortion correction turned on? The frame seems to be stretched at the edges, making cars look unnaturally long.
SJ8 1080p 60fps (upsidedown) 20180525122143_0032.MP4_20180530_115902.080.jpg

Back