anyone receive their SJ8 Pro yet?

On DCT, an Sjcam official told us that they would "get it right " before sj8 release! Duh!
Perhaps they should have done more R&D! Or maybe DCT testers?

Sigh... it sounds as though a) the new body cover isn't very good about unloading heat, and b) SJCam f/w hasn't gotten heat under control, anymore than with the SJ7.
Working the processor too hard, just like the Star!

You have distortion correction turned on? The frame seems to be stretched at the edges, making cars look unnaturally long.
View attachment 38536
That's going to happen with linear mode. There's an explanation based on the geometry of fisheye lens images landing on flat sensor and then trying to correct that error. But take it for granted that a full correction isn't going to happen in any small action cam. This isn't a problem with the SJ8.

The Amba H 2 in the Yi 4 k+ handles the correction and more w/o the overheat problem! And btw it took several firmware changes before you could choose to invert the image in 4k in the Sj7 Star!

I simply don't understand what SJCam is doing about this problem.

I'm still hoping someone will come up with accurate temperature data (how hot when doing what task and where the measurements were taken). Other than that, we're all just guessing.

temperatures from reading back screen:
1) about 104 F after driving for 15 min when car was parked in garage (started at 75 F). Outside temp was 70 F. I drove with AC on.
2) about 112 F after leaving the car/camera parked in the sun and then driving for 10 minutes. (it was 115 F before I started driving). Outside temp was 73 F. I drove with AC on.
2aedc8b0a8624653e9179c6e7d71f50c.jpg
bfe6bb2a175f836b7fa6c8c54023cb3a.jpg
c099e0f384c14d999e379af567a52fab.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I was recording in 4k 30fps h265. i upgraded to Samsung Evo Plus micro sd. i have screen saver set to 1 min. i have to press the record button to stop recording (otherwise file is corrupt) which is why the screen is on in some photos.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hmm, reading the good review on SJ7 Star, I was so looking forward to the SJ8 Pro but now it almost looks like I'm better off going w/ SJ7 Star? I really like the idea of a dash cam + action cam combo....

I am working on a review of the SJ8 Pro since more than a week and so far experience is rather negative...
I confirm the same issues as @BarryInAction for sound - it is too quiet. That can be fixed with software, but not quite pleasant. Also one of the channels is significantly louder than the other one.

Unfortunately my cam is much more troubled than what most of you report here:

- every third attempt to record 1080P @ 120fps results into freezing condition... Black screen, LEDs on and only way to recover is to pull out the battery.
- there is a weird issue with the power - it the camera is powered on two times consecutively and NO video is recorded, it will not power on again, unless I remove the battery for 30 seconds. If I record a video, even for only one second, the problem will not occur, or will occur once in 10 power cycles. This is extremely annoying, because now I always have the feeling the camera won't power on. It is not the battery, as I have tried another one (the SJ7 battery fits there :D There is a gap on one of the sides, but can be used).
- menus are not too well organized
- sometimes the touch screen is not that responsive
- the camera gets quite warm when 4K is continuously recorded. But it doesn't overheat - yeasterday I was recording for 2+ hours without interruption and it was fine.

Picture quality is not great under direct sunlight - there is a pink distortion appearing. There is still a lot of footage to asses though. But not even close to what GoPro is capable of.

Aha! My sj7 Star freezes when I try to record 1080p/120 fps! After a firmware change I can record a few times in this res! No solution from a ticket or pm to them! Their formula seems to be buy cheaper chip-push it too hard!

Sounds ... horrible. I never had issues with the SJ7, despite a sporadic freeze with the oldest firmware - that happened once or twice. At least my unit was stable.
Just noticed the above mentioned capacitor problem - after some of the freezes the camera's date goes weird. Most of the settings are kept though (well - I mostly use close to the factory default shooting settings).

Guess SJCAM have a fan-club here, huh :)?

Does anybody have this kind of knowledge? I'd like to purchase Zhiyun Z1-Evolution gimbal for my SJ8.
But as you know, SJ8 has USB C-type charging port. Hence the charging cable(refer attached picture) can't be used.
Anybody can comment where can I find the charging cable for SJ8?

EDITED:
It seems that below cable might be working.
http://zhiyun-tech.com.sg/zhiyun-type-c-charging-cable.html

Attachments

• SJ8-gimbal.jpg
    SJ8-gimbal.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 8
  • z1-evo_cable.jpg
    z1-evo_cable.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sounds ... horrible. I never had issues with the SJ7, despite a sporadic freeze with the oldest firmware - that happened once or twice. At least my unit was stable.
Just noticed the above mentioned capacitor problem - after some of the freezes the camera's date goes weird. Most of the settings are kept though (well - I mostly use close to the factory default shooting settings).

Guess SJCAM have a fan-club here, huh :)?
Watch the batteries for swelling in the sj7 !

Does anybody have this kind of knowledge? I'd like to purchase Zhiyun Z1-Evolution gimbal for my SJ8.
But as you know, SJ8 has USB C-type charging port. Hence the charging cable(refer attached picture) can't be used.
Anybody can comment where can I find the charging cable for SJ8?

EDITED:
It seems that below cable might be working.
http://zhiyun-tech.com.sg/zhiyun-type-c-charging-cable.html
The Sjcam gimbal allows installed button control for their cameras!

I have been looking at the Sj8 pro videos surfacing on YT, and i am somewhat perplexed, some of them are just sweet looking footage, and other look pretty underwhelming to put it nice.

It's just another" also ran " just like sj7!
Remember the Sjcam communicator telling us all the bugs would be "ironed out" before release? B.S.!

Didn't get any replies over at rcgroups so will post here. SJ8 in 4K and 2.7K setting has audio sync problems - audio gets ahead of video. It's the same no matter where I play it back including on the camera. Which says it's likely an actual encoded problem. Need to know if this is just my camera or...? Easiest test clip is to tap something against your desk, etc. and watch for the sync problem to start. Using f/w 1.2.0.

Freezing? Audio out-of-sync.?Firmware issues? Sounds like sj7 deja vu!

It is probably the encoding problem, i ran into the same with my Sj7 star on the latest firmware shooting 1080/60, reversing back to previous firmware fixed that on the SJ7

One can wonder if there are any in house testing going on beyond the most simple operations, if it was me i would have one guy recording with pre-production cameras all day and do nothing but that and reporting the errors he find.
But it seem that it often happen with many new things that they have embarrassing errors or shortcomings when they leave the factory.

Back