Anyone use Solar panels to trickle charge their car battery as source of power ?

mrpk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wondering if anyone has used the in-car solar panels that trickle charge your battery, at night sure not good, but that leaves maybe 10 hrs of use of camera right off the car battery, and during the day the battery could be replensished ? Wondering if anyone has used this approach to keep their dashcam running 24/7

Always used them on camper to keep battery's up
Problem you would fine is the large size of panel needed
On a camper no problem on a CAR ????

Wondering if anyone has used the in-car solar panels that trickle charge your battery, at night sure not good, but that leaves maybe 10 hrs of use of camera right off the car battery, and during the day the battery could be replensished ? Wondering if anyone has used this approach to keep their dashcam running 24/7

Always a good idea to search the forum for a topic to see if it has been discussed previously before starting a new thread.

Solar panels to charge car battery?

Last edited:
I use the Ctek CS Free (but it does cost). It is a rechargeable battery pack that does provide a trickle charge.
A portable Solar Panel is an optional extra to charge the battery pack and it coyld be place on a dash panel.
I use that combination in my otherwise power-free garage, solar panel fixed to garage roof. It also has two usb power outputs and I use one of these to power two switched LED light strips attached to garage roof struts.
Bit pricey but it all works very well...

My neighbour has one on his 2005 Fiesta dash as he only does a few hundred miles a year. He reckons it works well and has never had a flat battery, even after months of not using the car.

I have solar to charge the car batteries, usually auxiliary batteries. I wouldn't dream of running accessories off the starter battery, via MPPT 100/20 solar controller. Also DC-DC charger (2 in parallel) to charge four 26AH gel batteries when the engine is running. All bases covered!
_MG_2513-crop.jpg
Victron-data.jpg
IMG_111943615.jpg

Back