Anyone have tried out the recommendation by RetroCarGuy for the Powercell 8?

DashRun

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking on getting the Powercell 8 when I encountered a youtube video by RetroCarGuy530 on youtube reviewing the Powercell 8. He made some recommendation from using a relay instead of directly fuse tapping to charge the battery and also maybe changing the included wire to 12 or 14 awg wire instead. Wondering are this steps needed or this more of a extra precaution? Just asking since atleast for the car I am planning on using it on a BMW X5 the battery being in the trunk since like it can be quite a hassle to install.

Robert @rcg530 knows what he’s talking about.
His recommendations are based on careful testing & evaluation.
1.) 12AWG OFC (Pure Copper Wire), (not tinned aluminum, or CCA copper clad aluminum).
2.) Use of Relay instead of wiring directly to fuse box.

Here is my testing thread of the PowerCell 8;

Here is my review of the PowerCell 8;

If you are on a tight budget, you might want to wait until Q1 of 2024.
I’ve been informed we will get a new dedicated dash cam battery pack from a new manufacturer, (not EGEN Korea) that should be half the cost of current battery packs.
-Chuck

1.) 12AWG OFC (Pure Copper Wire), (not tinned aluminum, or CCA copper clad aluminum).

I’ve been informed we will get a new dedicated dash cam battery pack from a new manufacturer, (not EGEN Korea) that should be half the cost of current battery packs.
-Chuck
Would it be better or just cheaper?

the powercell 8 is currently on sale
The B-130X is $306.
The PC8 is $350.
The B-130X has better cold weather charge protection based on my testing.
Here is my testing thread for the B-130X;

Screenshot 2023-11-22 9.09.57 PM.png

You could also get the Thinkware BAB-95, and that would solve the issue of running a separate relay.

-Chuck
Interesting. Half the cost sounds good but it depends on capacity.

They have to stick with 4S*P configuration for 12.8V nominal pack voltage, hence most likely the capacity to be the same 96Wh.
If we plug 100Wh into the table, then Cell mAh ratings become a weird numbers, I doubt they exist

Attachments

• 12.8V Cell config.JPG
    12.8V Cell config.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 9
They have to stick with 4S*P configuration for 12.8V nominal pack voltage, hence most likely the capacity to be the same 96Wh.
If we plug 100Wh into the table, then Cell mAh ratings become a weird numbers, I doubt they exist
I don't disagree with you.
I'm only reporting what I was informed.

Just between me, you, and the fencepost I told them to consider claiming 99.9Wh in the specifications so there is zero confusion with current transportation regulations.
Can you imagine telling a TSA agent their interpretation of the 100Wh limit is wrong? Lol
Or even trying to explain the difference between Lithium-ion vs. Lithium-ion Phosphate.

I just remembered an important detail.
The PC8 & B-130X use (20) 18650 cells for their 96Wh capacity.

I was informed the new battery pack will use (8) 26650 cells.
I like this configuration much better because now there will be 12 less components to fail.
Does the claimed 100Wh capacity seem more plausible in this configuration?

Attachments

• 18650 3.2V @ 1500mAh .jpg
    18650 3.2V @ 1500mAh .jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20 Cells .jpg
    20 Cells .jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 7
Just between me, you, and the fencepost I told them to consider claiming 99.9Wh in the specifications so there is zero confusion with current transportation regulations.
Can you imagine telling a TSA agent their interpretation of the 100Wh limit is wrong? Lol
Or even trying to explain the difference between Lithium-ion vs. Lithium-ion Phosphate.
I'm not sure how many of us are actually going to carry a dedicated dash cam battery on a plane? and why?
Personally I prefer larger capacity, and the batteries are very cheap, most of the development cost is not on the battery but on the system as a whole.

Last edited:
I was informed the new battery pack will use (8) 26650 cells.
I like this configuration much better because now there will be 12 less components to fail.
Does the claimed 100Wh capacity seem more plausible in this configuration?
The highest capacity 26650 LFP cells I fond are 3800 mAh and 4000mAh:

This will be 97.28 Wh Battery, if they find 3900mAh cell or 4000mAh cell then the capacity will be 99.84Wh or even 102.4Wh

12.8V Battery configurationCell QtyCell Rating AhCell Nominal VTotal Capacity Wh
4S2P83.83.297.28
12.8V Battery configurationCell QtyCell Rating AhCell Nominal VTotal Capacity Wh
4S2P83.93.299.84
4S2P843.2102.40

Check the prices - dirt cheap!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many of us are actually going to carry a dedicated dash cam battery on a plane? and why?
The 100Wh TSA regulation applies to all airborne transportation.
When retailers like BlackboxMyCar sell a battery pack they can only ship them by air if they are 100Wh or less.
Otherwise they have to ship by ground.
Air is 2-3 days delivery to US.
Ground would be much longer.
This would also complicate return shipping / warranty claims.
@BlackboxMyCar can you confirm this?

When retailers like BlackboxMyCar sell a battery pack they can only ship them by air if they are 100Wh or less.
@BlackboxMyCar can you confirm this?
I do not get that, They should ship product in containers (way, way cheaper then Air) and maintain inventory here and in any other large markets, and that will simplify service part as well.
Most of the stuff, including tones of battery packed power stations are coming to US via containers.

I do not get that,
I don't make the regulation.
BlackboxMyCar is based in Canada.
I'm hoping one day they open a branch office in the US so we don't have to deal with border crossing issues like this.

Yeah, Chuck is right in all regards here.

Shipping of batterypacks overall is quite the hassle, especially for returns and replacements. We've had many people try and use their own carriers to ship it back to us and the shipper flatout refuses, but I won't get too into that. I will say that we've recently moved to having our batteries warrantied through a dedicated warranty company rather than in-house due to issues related to this.

Thanks,
Grayson

BMW X3 F25 I have been using Cell8 for more than a year. It's in the trunk. Always on, turns off after the car falls asleep. Frost - 29C tolerates easily. Plugged into a regular outlet. I extended the output wires to the DVR, the current is small there and the thickness of the wire does not matter. To the DVR, the wiring is on the regular channels on the right.

BMW X3 F25 I have been using Cell8 for more than a year. It's in the trunk. Always on, turns off after the car falls asleep. Frost - 29C tolerates easily. Plugged into a regular outlet. I extended the output wires to the DVR, the current is small there and the thickness of the wire does not matter. To the DVR, the wiring is on the regular channels on the right.

Do you use Powercell 8 for parking?
How does it tolerates -29°C? as it cannot be charged below 0°C?

Because of bypass, the dash cam will operate from the car's power while the engine is running, even if the Cell8 is completely discharged, but the Cell8 will not support parking, unless you warm up the car and drive it for a long time, long enough for the battery to warm up and re-charge.

Back