Are samsung 256GB Pro Endurance cards any good? or have i got 2 faulty ones?

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
anyone used these cards? are they ok or have i just got 2 faulty ones in a row??

bench tested both at the start to make sure they were legit and ok, bought from harvey norman, a big brick and mortar retailer, not a dodgey online place. they started out the packet ar 40mb/s read and write.
after one day of use being ok, the next morning the read speed is the same but write speed has gone to 1.6mb/s and wont record dashcam footage any more.
anyone had this issue??

How are you testing the speed ?

I use Speedout0.5 and a USB3 port is a must.

These days with higher resolution and multi cam systems anything under 50Mbps can cause issues.

I went through one in the Viofo A229 a while back, lasted like 2-3 days before it started to read/write extremely slow. Gone through RMA once, got a new card, last a week or so and crapped out again. I tried contacting Samsung for another RMA and have been ignored.

Best to get Sandisk Max Endurance cards.

How are you testing the speed ?

I use Speedout0.5 and a USB3 port is a must.

These days with higher resolution and multi cam systems anything under 50Mbps can cause issues.
speedout and h2testw

Very odd to get such different speeds.

As I've posted many times, I'm not a fan of endurance cards and my 128Gb Samsung Evo Plus card has now been going for over 5 years in my various dashcams without issue.

Here is the first post I made about ordering it in Oct 2017 and I'm still using the same card :

now i ran the h2testw for a day as that is how long it took to run and the speed gradually got faster and faster until it was around 90% full where it reached full speed 40mb/s.
i formatted again and doing the test again and its at full speed now 40mb/s for a minute and dropping to 24mb/s then back up to 39mb/s.
done test again and full speed.
no idea whats up here.

now its stuffed againg and getting RMA'ed

I wonder what is different with endurance cards ?

Whilst they may be good in domestic CCTV use I've seen quite a few dash cam issues with them.

I never had an issue with the pro endurance series from samsung i still use the 128gb PE models from the previous gen those were MLC and seem to last quite long i think they can live up to the claimed 5year warrenty.
I dont know about the new ones im eager to try them if its MLC 256GB is double the size more buffer is great for dashcams and IP cameras. Dous anyone know if its MLC or improved TLC-vnand?
the only cam that had a problem with the samsung PE was a chinese IP camera that one only liked Kingston Evo.
Were i think the older gen pro endurance models excelled at was consistend writes compared to the EVO models. I noticed framedrops with the S750 2ch and Dr900s 2ch with a Evo card at times it had more difficulty keeping the full amount of frames. most noticable if you ran the DR750s 2ch on extreme and 60fps. but for the most part it ran quit decent on extreme 30FPS was less of an issue. I dont know but maybe the valuecards/mainstream cards also have come a long way in their consitancy in writes technology has definatly improved over the generations. im not sure how they perform anyone who has experience with them feel free to post your experiences im interested in what works and what dousnt.

I wonder what is different with endurance cards ?

Whilst they may be good in domestic CCTV use I've seen quite a few dash cam issues with them.
they should be more consitant in writes 24/7 and better optimized in spreading that out over the cells reducing wear then regular units that are supposed to be more optimized for burst writings. and in the best case fitting more resilient cells altough i doubt that for certain cards. Samsung PE the previous gen had reliable MLC cells. i dont know about many other cards some even seem to have QLC and i doubt thats reliable. my sandisk high endurance cards and WD purple seem to hold decently so far. but i also see people saying they died on them. maybe luck or different usecase

obviously harvey norman got a bad batch, after 2 faulty ones in a row from them i went straight to samsung and i just got a replacement in the mail today and it works as it should
Writing speed: 71.0 MByte/s
Reading speed: 75.7 MByte/s

No problems with Samsung card here. Have one in rotation. Works fine.

i have a couple of these 256gb models in use as of recently no failures yet also tested them with the testing tool all work fine.

Reactions: MPH
Been using the Samsung PRO Endurance 256GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 100MBs working fine in an old blackvue 750s 2 channel checked via Samsungs Card UFD Authentication Utility for authentication purposes follow the link to download https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/ hopefully this is of some use.

Attachments

• Samsung_Card-UFD_Authentication_Utility_Manual_English_1.3.pdf
    559.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mmo_100709464_1658413291_6941_10390.pdf
    229.4 KB · Views: 1
I sell/install dashcams, and I've only had a single (64Gb) Samsung Pro Endurance card fail inside the 1 year warranty I provide. I've sold hundreds of them over the last maybe three years. I also use them in my personal and work vehicles, and have had zero issues. Probably 50% of the cards I sell are 256Gb.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents for future searchers.

I have a gotten new memory cards, with a write speed of 90 MB/s claimed, only to see just 20 - 30 when tested, but a once over with SDformatter have brought these cards back up to their claimed speeds.
Mind you in spite of that the card are still a problem / no go card in some systems, where as others its just fine

This model is not one of the recommended SD cards - we cannot say more. The main extra required parameters include heat resistance and a lifetime more in line with the industry standard. The Samsung MicroSDXC 256GB PRO Plus model is probably better suited for the experiment.

Just comparing the price of the recommended models (for Viofo = Sandisk Max Endurance and Sandisk Extreme) with the price of your card suggests that something is wrong.
======
Why do you keep trying unsuitable models from the beginning? Or else, what SD car models are recommended by your dash cam manufacturer?

My 128GB Samsung card works fine for me. I didn’t want to risk getting a 256GB, so I chose to get two 128GB cards instead.

My 256GB has been in for over nine months now in a second-hand 750S without any issues.

What bitrate settings are you using? At 8-20mbps, I use 128 (MLC) and 256 (TLC) of the Pro Endurance and have had zero issues for years. Best mSD to date.

Reactions: MPH
Back