Are there any 2 channel dash cam with both lenses remote

mt02380505

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if there were decent 2 channel Dash Cam with both lenses as remote.

From what I've read so far, BlackVue, BlackSys, and Lucas 9700 seem to be most popular/reliable/feature reach/good build/good quality recording units. But, if you are going to run wires to the rear cam anyway, why not separate the DVR from lenses completely to allow mounting in the glove compartment? Or even more discrete - under the dashboard? With the DVR unit separate from both lenses - there will be fewer constrains: no weight constrain or size, larger LCD. And the whole setup will be so much cleaner and discreet.

Are there any such units?

I think there are some, but not decent ones, and at best only 720p.

What you are mentioning is high on the wish list from many of us in here.

None of those are any good unfortunately. (low standard resolution, and other issues)

The HD/HD ones I personally evaluated from other companies have been a big fat fail so far. (buggy/poor night performance)

Street Guardian has potential new products in the works that should fit this category by Q1/Q2 2015. (too early to announce details or post photos yet though)

While those might not be 'good' enough, I would suggest perhaps using the sellers of those items to contact them and inquire about some that might fit your desired specifications. It's as good a starting place as I would expect to latch on to. Good luck.

Jokiin,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I really appreciate a manufacturer being so involved in the community. I wonder about what it would take to create great 2 channel DVR.

What are the obstacles to having a high performance DVR with remote sensors? I understand that you can't hide the GPS antenna under a dash because the reception would be poor. I assume that the wire specification for connecting the sensors would need to support high bit rate and that you would need communications chips in the sensor unit. Power would need to be provided perhaps thru the Data Cable to the Sensor.

What other issues are there to surmount? Do any chipsets support USB 3.0? I think USB 3.0 has enough bandwidth to handle HD feeds and power. I think Thunderbolt supports HDMI and could also supply power.

I have seen the Marcus 5 rear unit looks like it has decent quality, why not use two similar units with a hidden recorder?

What stops the Sensors from being interchangeable, once they are no longer integrated into the DVR body? Could a unit be produced that would allow the separate components to be upgradeable, that way I could buy the Sony Sensor if I’m feeling rich or a cheaper one if I’m not?

My personal preference would be to have small Sensors in the front and and back windows with hidden DVR, perhaps with WiFi Access so clips could be pulled out without having to access the unit.

I have a FineVu CR-500HD and it is a great unit, but as you said in other posts, different markets have different needs. I live in Northern California and when I first placed the camera in my car I got some strange looks. The attendants at my parking garage seemed a little nervous when they realized there was a camera in my car. People get really upset if you bring google glass into a bar, so for me I’d like something discreet even if I lost some functionality.

the limitations at the moment are mostly hardware, it's getting better but there are still limitations to what's possible, there are practical limitations to consider also, the cameras themselves are no real issue, it's the rest of it where the complexity lies, it's not really a DIY type install for a lot of people which is another limiting factor

the cameras themselves are no real issue, it's the rest of it where the complexity lies, it's not really a DIY type install for a lot of people which is another limiting factor
maybe come up with a PRO model for the people that can install themselves and a basic model for those that cant. im hanging out for a dual 1080p remote cam.
None of those are any good unfortunately. (low standard resolution, and other issues)

The HD/HD ones I personally evaluated from other companies have been a big fat fail so far. (buggy/poor night performance)

Street Guardian has potential new products in the works that should fit this category by Q1/Q2 2015. (too early to announce details or post photos yet though)
cant wait, looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe, stuck with a blackpew for the time being and a Mobius that leaves it for dead picture quality which i'm about to mount on the rear.

There are quite few 1080p 2ch remote lens dashcam systems out there, but they all are based on batteries.
Few Korean 2ch remote lens models on capacitors but they are 720p 30Fps 6Fps.

There are no yet 1080p 2ch based on supercaps.

Is there a primer on battery/cap/supercap pros/cons?

There are quite few 1080p 2ch remote lens dashcam systems out there, but they all are based on batteries.
Few Korean 2ch remote lens models on capacitors but they are 720p 30Fps 6Fps.

There are no yet 1080p 2ch based on supercaps.

I was wondering if there were decent 2 channel Dash Cam with both lenses as remote.

From what I've read so far, BlackVue, BlackSys, and Lucas 9700 seem to be most popular/reliable/feature reach/good build/good quality recording units. But, if you are going to run wires to the rear cam anyway, why not separate the DVR from lenses completely to allow mounting in the glove compartment? Or even more discrete - under the dashboard? With the DVR unit separate from both lenses - there will be fewer constrains: no weight constrain or size, larger LCD. And the whole setup will be so much cleaner and discreet.

Two of these might get a good solution:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/panorama-x1-remote-lens-sony-exmor-imx322-wdr-gps.8500/

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger. thanks. Just that simple?

Yeah, that simple ;)

Actually another Supercaps advantage over batteries is safe operation even in extreme temperatures conditions ( +70+80C ).

Batteries lifespan is limited and in some rare cases may cause battery swelling or even can be caught on fire.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/extreme-overheating-problem-melted-cam.7730/#post-94098

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0803-battery-issue.7476/#post-90357

With supercaps there are no such risks as with batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe buy two of these? G600G car dash cam full HD sony chips IMX32 car black box with GPS,G-sensor
Product Description
11.Built-in super capacitor for UPS backup when cutting off
external power supply.

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum, but came here expressly looking to see if there were 2 channel devices with remote DVR. I'd even like to go 1 further. Mentioned above was a reference to WiFi to pull clips off without having to access the physical device. I'd like the same. Maybe include an Android application for configuration and/or pulling clips off device. But I think the WiFi SSID should be cloaked (not broadcast) to keep thieves from simply walking down the street and finding your WiFi signal.

I'm hoping some new devices come out this year that cover many of the desires listed above.

Back