Auto vox dash camera/mirror combo problem (white screen)

Dlysergis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I am brand new to this forum. I am desperately trying to fix my dash camera. All of a sudden the camera view.on the mirror just went white. As far as I know it is a auto vox t6000. I'll attach pics. When it stopped working I figured I would do a firmware update. I had some trouble with it stopping recording in the past and when I talked to their support they linked me the files to update it. However when I tried to update the firmware this time, nothing happens. It just shows the white screen. I have tried completely unpowering it. Nothing changed. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas? I just know something is going to happen now that my camera is down. Not to mention it is so annoying having the white screen every time I go to drive. It's a pain to get it to shut off.

Thank you so much ahead of time for any help anyone might be able to offer!

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_130852.jpg
    IMG_20180922_130852.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20180922-135418.png
    Screenshot_20180922-135418.png
    926.5 KB · Views: 16
hardware problem, will need to be replaced

Is it something you have seen before? I didn't get into it in the post, but I accidentally unplugged it's power wire before this happened. I have a digital boost gauge that hooks up irght near it on the fuse box and I pulled the wrong wire. After that it came up with the white screen.

pulling power shouldn't cause this problem, best to talk to the seller and let them know it's faulty

I've had it way too long to get the seller to replace it. I'm trying to get in touch with auto vox. They have helped me in the past but I have heard back from them this time. They are a Chinese company. It's hard to know what hours they keep.

This is probably a battery camera. Does it have a reset button?

As far as I know there is no reset button. What do you mean by battery camera? It's not battery power if that is what you mean. It's hard wired. Though if you mean it might have an internal battery, I have no idea, I have never been able to get it apart. It seems like it's pressed together, no obvious screws. Always felt like I would break it trying to get it apart.

Auto-Vox cameras are usually battery based cameras. Thought maybe if the camera can't fully power down due to this fault that the battery may be keeping it going. Reset button will cut battery power, allowing the camera to fully restart. Always worth a try. I would double check to see if there is a reset button. It's usually a small pin-hole that you need to stick a paper clip (or something similar) into to press it.

I'll have to take a look. It's possible I missed it.

All these "mirror cams" have an internal LiPo battery to keep power going until the camera can save the last video and then shut down properly if a crash interrupts the normal power feed, or if you turn the cam off manually. These batteries will go bad in time, but can usually be replaced if you can find the proper sized one and can solder it in place after disassembling the cam. Many dashcams are like this, but many now have "super-capacitors" instead of a battery to perform the needed functions. Supercaps (caps for short) do much better in the heat and tend to greatly outlive the LiPo batteries. Cap-powered cams are becoming the norm now. Perhaps a new battery would fix your cam but I doubt it- this does sound like a hardware problem. Even if a repair service was available it would cost similar to getting a whole new cam, so just dump that one and go for something better.

There's a lot of good dashcams at good prices on the market today but "mirror" cams are almost all stuck in the past with batteries and poor video quality compared to what you can get for a similar price now. They haven't matured with the changing technology and are generally not recommended because of that. The concept is good, but it's never been executed very well and more's the pity.

Phil

There's a lot of good dashcams at good prices on the market today but "mirror" cams are almost all stuck in the past with batteries and poor video quality compared to what you can get for a similar price now. They haven't matured with the changing technology and are generally not recommended because of that. The concept is good, but it's never been executed very well and more's the pity.

Phil
Here is an example of a mirror cam with the right idea but the wrong approach. With some upgraded technology this would be great.
It has auto-dimming for the mirror along with a front and rear cam. This is needed in all mirror cams. This mounts by replacing your current mirror and attaches at the factory mounting point. That is much better than straps holding a mirror cam on the original mirror. However, it only has 25fps recording which is short of the 30fps considered as the minimum fps required today. It also only needs a class 6 card which tells us that it is not creating the better quality video files that we desire.
GreenYi HD 5 Inch IPS LCD Screen 1080P Auto Dimming Anti-Glare Car DVR Bracket Mirror Monitor Camera Digital Video Recorder
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-3...8.0&pvid=20c00703-2e14-4136-ad52-05976fac6205

HTB1Q__MPpXXXXaDXVXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly, the market is chock-full of crappy cams which attract newbies into buying them, who then get burned when they fail. Plenty of good ideas, little of making them work well. Once someone learns about what a good cam is, they will be able to avoid the crap and get a good cam. I too would have fallen prey to this trap were it not for a mention of this website and me coming here to learn before I bought. But this is not what usually happens, and in the end the crap products sour a lot of people from ever buying a dashcam again, even a good one. We can't stop the crap cams, but we can help those who come here to DCT and I'm proud to say that almost all of the members here do help others who come here seeking our assistance.

Phil

Hey! Having the exact same issue -- backup camera is white when on the display. Can't seem to figure out the issue. Can go more into detail but was just wondering if you ever found a fix for this. Thanks

Back