AutoVox Image Improvement

mansford

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here.

I have an AutoVox V5 Pro which I'm generally quite happy with, I like the neat fit and under most conditions the video is fine.

It struggles though in dark conditions, to compensate lights are way overexposed. If street lights are around the video is usually fine.

The cam works fine and has helped me with a couple of legal issues, I know the image quality is not at the top end but I would like to improve it. Would a filter help here? It's a relatively small lens.

Attached is a sample image.

Attachments

• dash_screenshot.png
    dash_screenshot.png
    899.5 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the foru mansford.

Any camera are better than no camera for sure.
The problem you see at night are pretty normal and hard to deal with, HDR will probably be the best solution to it, but so far the right kind of HDR are not in many cameras.
So you can often see that plates are a white out due to reflecting your own headlights.

Not that it will help on your problem at hand, but your camera seem to be aimed very high, even if tilting it more down will just bring more of your hood and dashboard in the frame.
Normally a 50/50 split at the horizon is recommended yours are more like a 70/30, it could be getting the bright spot in the middle of the frame will prompt the camera to use a more fortunate metering giving a better result.

Thanks kamkar for the response, I can easily tilt the camera down a little, yes that will show the hood more but that's not really an issue.

You mention HDR, Is there an external filter of that type I can buy?

Back