Avoiding an oncoming rear end

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
Had a little bit of a narrow miss today while going to get lunch. There is a blind hill and a driver was waiting for me to pass to make a left into a drive way.

Man, that was bad all the way around. People who live in those types of situation are gambling with their lives every time they try to leave or enter their property.

In 1999, I almost hit a car like that.
It was a state highway with 60mph speed and for some reason I didn't notice it until it was too late.
It was sunny and the car was waiting to make a left and I thought it was moving.
I think being sunny and dusty brake lights plus stupid red light brakes made it not noticeable.

Side note: I really hate cars with red brake light blinkers.
Manufactures are stupid and dumb to make red blinkers and a safety risk.

Yellow lights are noticeable from far even in bright sun compared to red brake lights.
That's the reason all cars I ever owned had/have bright yellow signal lights and the one I owned with brake light blinkers, I changed it to yellow.

Anywho, I 99% hit the car and would have killed them and myself if there were no shoulder.
I drove on the rough shoulder at close to 60mph and avoided a crash.

You don't expect a car would be completely stopped in a high speed road or you don't expect a car that you saw moving from far would be stopped completely.
Left turn like that without a turn lane is dangerous and stupid red signal lights just adds more risk.

Last edited:
If I lived there, I would never come to a stop like that. I would drive down and turn myself around. Some people don't look at the bigger picture.

Or slow down to the top of hill allowing the car that is 6~10 second behind catch up and let the car behind follow you at reduced speed and you won't have them rear end you. A lot of times I get people in front of me purposely drop speed to get me to pay attention well before they turn, it may seem frustrating to many, but it is a good safe tactic that many experienced people have adapted.

I always flash my lights at cars after I pass something like this to warn them of something ahead.

Illegal here to flash your lights at oncoming traffic (unless they are more than 200m away, etc).
I've seen cops go after people that flash their lights at oncoming traffic.

I know on this occasion there wouldn't have been room for another vehicle to pass but If people moved to the crown of the road when making a turn, others would have more room to get by.

Is it legal in the States to cross a double solid line like that? It isn't here in the UK.

Back