B1W intermittent power

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
One of my B1W cameras suffers from an intermittent micro-USB power connection. Every few days the cable seems to work itself a bit loose and it stops working. I usually wiggle the cable a bit until it starts working again, but it's quite annoying.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I will try another microUSB cable to see if that fixes the issue.

does the cable lock into the connector correctly?
It feels like it does. However moving the cable a small amount perpendicular to the flat direction of the micro USB socket seems to drop the connection. A similar thing happens with my kids' android tablets.

I much prefer mini USB sockets.

One of my B1W cameras suffers from an intermittent micro-USB power connection. Every few days the cable seems to work itself a bit loose and it stops working. I usually wiggle the cable a bit until it starts working again, but it's quite annoying.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I will try another microUSB cable to see if that fixes the issue.
Micro USB has two small locks on its end, it should be more stable than Mini USB socket.

The cable is pushed in all the way. The problem is that the cable is pulled at a slight angle so it can be tucked into the trim around the window. My other B1W works just fine with the same setup on the other side of the car.
img_20180406_091206-jpg.37357

Anyway, please PM for a warranty if it is the problem of camera unit!

yeah we've looked at using Micro USB but for the environment we use them in we still feel Mini USB is the better option
Micro USB has two small locks on its end, it should be more stable than Mini USB socket.
There are some arguments in favor of the use of mini-USB
(this is indicated in the excerpts from the posts): https://electronics.stackexchange.c...was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb

Eeach manufacturer has its own approach and ideology for application.
And laboratory tests can sometimes fail to take into account all the features of practical use and different situations :)

Anyway, please PM for a warranty if it is the problem of camera unit!
I have tested both my B1W cameras with 2 different cables on my desk, and cannot replicate the issue. I will let you know if it happens again.

As i recall reading the micro USB have more durability in regard to plug in / unplug operations, but yeah the mini USB feel better.
I also always felt like my USB in the B1W was a bit loose, but i never had a single disconnection, but i also became aware of this on Day #1 so i dont have much loose wire dangling that might exert a pull in the plug.

I have tested both my B1W cameras with 2 different cables on my desk, and cannot replicate the issue. I will let you know if it happens again.
Swap the good and bad cameras over, then when you get another failure you will know if it is camera or cable at fault.

Swap the good and bad cameras over, then when you get another failure you will know if it is camera or cable at fault.
Unfortunately after removing both cameras and cables from the car, I can't remember which one had the problem! I have replaced them with different cameras, so the B1Ws are spare and looking for a good use. There's been a few burglaries in my neighbourhood recently, so I was thinking about using a B1W running 24/7 to watch outside the house.

If the only problem is the cable coming out of the socket a bit of goop applied could prevent a repeat performance.

It wasn't coming out of the socket. The connection was being lost with just a wiggle side to side.

Back