B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 Mounted in your Car. ( Photos )

I only had an 8GB card (Class2) ripped out from an old cellphone, and my new 32GB card hasn't arrived yet.

i'm surprised a class2 is fast enough to handle even 720p. i have a class2 8gb card (also taken from a phone) in my f70 camera, but its only recording in vga for the front and 720x480 for the rear. at that setting i get about 4 hours on the 8gb card.

I'm surprised too.
Just tried 1920x1080 and it works without a glitch.
1280x720, 3mins filesize: 170MB +/-
1920x1080, 3mins filesize: 350MB +/-

i'm surprised a class2 is fast enough to handle even 720p. i have a class2 8gb card (also taken from a phone) in my f70 camera, but its only recording in vga for the front and 720x480 for the rear. at that setting i get about 4 hours on the 8gb card.

Last edited:
finally got over my laziness and clicked some pics of the A118 / B40 I installed in my Ford EcoSport ...

1. Driver Side View
DriverSideView.jpg

2. Passenger Side View
PassengerSideView.jpg

3. Close Up (Front)
Close-Up5.jpg

4. Close Up (Side)
Close-Up4.jpg

5. Close Up (Another Angle)
Close-Up1.jpg

6. From Outside
OutsideViewClose-Up.jpg

7. Passenger Side Power Supply Connection
(I used a unit from Tom Tom GPS. It has two 5v USB Sockets (not visible in pic) and a 'daisy-chained'? spare 12V socket)
PowerSupply.jpg

8. Lastly, I thought this would be useful to share - the USB Cable I used (Flat type - goes in easily into tight places and helps in keeping visible cable clutter to an absolute minimum)
MiniInlineUSBCable.jpg

What Brand and model of 12v adapter is that?

My new Street Guardian SG9655GM fits perfect in the back of my Smart Car Brabus.
Glass Hugging design fits the lens exactly between the defogger wires.
Vertical Windows are no problem as you know.
KRK5BFBl.jpg

5tVH58ll.jpg

I have another one up on the front too

I just got done installing a full SG96565GPS in a friends new(used) 2012 Ford Focus SE a few minutes ago. (GPS on the DashBoard in the corner)

Wow, talk about VERY Clean install! All wires are tucked and hidden to perfection, looks OEM/Stock blends right in, can't see it while driving since it's behind the mirror.

C9I3Gmjl.jpg

5mP0KNvl.jpg

7ckPt4Xl.jpg

hdGtVwhl.jpg

EAXe1Onl.jpg

QJoG3J1l.jpg

Last edited:
"Defogger" that's a new word to me, don't you mean "demister"? I will add that to my American dictionary.

Here are a couple of pic's of the A118 in my car. I have installed the dashcam on the rain sensor housing which I think helps with the stealth look. I haven't routed the power cable correctly yet as I am still testing the camera. You can also sed the mount for the Mini0803 which the A118 may be replacing.

2014-09-08 11.43.32.jpg

2014-09-08 11.43.57.jpg

2014-09-08 11.44.43.jpg

Last edited:
What is the function of the tag?
$_14.JPG

(Tag?) = Cord Cover yes. The perfectly mated cover gradually tapers to a narrow point. It's subtle enough to give the illusion of some kind of stock/oem rain sensor . It blends right into the car when installed behind the mirror. After installing a few of these makes total sense and looks way better than a loose wire.

Hi to you all. I have been looking a long time for a somewhat covert dash cam (since it's probably not allowed here, due to laws regulating camera surveillance). You who also got the GPS option, is it possible to tuck that GPS thingie inside the cover that attaches to the A118? I love clean installs, and got my brand new Toyota less than a month ago, and don't want a fiddly or messy set-up in my new driving companion. I would very much appreciate your views on this. Oh, and where did you Europeans buy the A118? I've spotted it on Amazon UK so far. Cheers! :)

Hi to you all. I have been looking a long time for a somewhat covert dash cam (since it's probably not allowed here, due to laws regulating camera surveillance). You who also got the GPS option, is it possible to tuck that GPS thingie inside the cover that attaches to the A118? I love clean installs, and got my brand new Toyota less than a month ago, and don't want a fiddly or messy set-up in my new driving companion. I would very much appreciate your views on this. Oh, and where did you Europeans buy the A118? I've spotted it on Amazon UK so far. Cheers! :)

the GPS works better if separated away from the camera, depending on the vehicle type you may be able to hide it, I've done them before, across the window, down the pillar and then the GPS located under the top of the dash

Reactions: jhm
the GPS works better if separated away from the camera, depending on the vehicle type you may be able to hide it, I've done them before, across the window, down the pillar and then the GPS located under the top of the dash

Thanks for the reply. However my car is already fitted with a built-in Toyota navigation system. Don't you think that two that closely mounted GPS-antennas could interfere with one another (my assumption is that the factory GPS-antenna is already under the dash ;) )? Ripping the the whole interior apart is not even on the map, since it's a brand new car under warranty. And especially since it's a hybrid, I would assume the electrical system is even more delicate in these vehicles. From the YT-videos I have seen here, it seems to be a rather spacious compartment, the plastic add-on, but I haven't found any measurements for either the GPS-antenna or the plastic cable add-on. Of course I could opt out on the GPS functionality, but I would find it nice to also get embedded speed in the videos produced. :)

the factory Toyota ones are often on top of the radio under the dash, the GPS antennas won't interfere with each other, too close to the camera though and the performance will drop

What causes the performance drop?

Back