Battery for Hardwiring with Direct and ACC support

billias

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I am reading the forums. And just found out, what I was planning to build myself is supported by Cellink Neo9.

I wanted a way for the battery to get power from the car when engine is running. But as it seems most batteries has no support (from Cellink) for that.
In the other hand Neo9 is not available anywhere.

is there some solution where I can:
1. get signal from ACC
2. Use direct mains, when engine is on

does Neo8 for instance, support low battery cutoff ? any other company having a hardwiring kit for that?

It’s simple enough to wire a 40Amp Bosch style relay to the battery bank’s 12V power input, & triggering the relay to energize via an ignition source.

Or you can wire the battery bank’s power input to a switched ignition source that has the necessary current capacity. This is how they’re intended to be connected per their installation instructions.

I thought of this as alternative to getting a battery supporting it.
It is pity NEO9 and BAB-95 only support this. with NEO9 nowhere to be found.

I agree, it does seem like a very basic design mistake to not have a switched ignition input trigger on most of the Egen manufactured dashcam battery banks.

It’s not hard to implement, it’s not that costly in parts, and it’s especially disappointing considering the incredibly high profit margins these dashcam battery banks have.

Fortunately, it really is easy to wire in a relay to disconnect the Dashcam battery from the car’s electrical system when the engine is off.

I agree, it does seem like a very basic design mistake to not have a switched ignition input trigger on most of the Egen manufactured dashcam battery banks.

It’s not hard to implement, it’s not that costly in parts, and it’s especially disappointing considering the high profit margins these dashcam battery banks have.

the Bosch style relay, has a disadvantage of not having a delay start.
ACC is kicking before ignition. therefore a sudden draw from the powerbank to charge + a not so young battery could lead to issues.
I do not know if battery packs has option to delay start and/or slow starting their charging.

I have a car with the Battery in the Trunk. A blackvue 900x plus. and I pulled the wire to the trunk. (near battery).
The reason was, to use a Battery Pack + bosch style relay.

Looking at my 2 fuseboxes (front and rear) I cannot easily trust any fuse tap, or similar with these high currents to be installed.

also my box has an unused fuse, which I can just tap ACC trigger (safely).
I already got some awg14 cable and a fused cable to pull from battery the direct power source.

What I am doing is:
After the last theft attempt, I have put some extra equipment
1. 4G mifi with usb power source
2. Second GPS tracker (not the car's) burried by me in place you cannot imagine.
3. the dashcam in parking mode.

but Agree. they could even have software style cutoff, when voltage is lower than 12.8 (for instance) which means ignition is off.

Battery in the trunk suggests a BMW. If it’s a more recent model BMW, I would strongly recommend replacing your battery before it begins causing various electronic control module faults. Old marginal batteries are one of the most common issues w/ mysterious random electrical issues in BMWs.

I’ve owned 7 BMWs, none of them have had any issues w/ fairly large current draws on the stock electrical system, as long as the main battery is healthy & fully charged up on a regular basis.

My F15 35d is perfectly happy w/ the 10 amp draw that my dashcam battery draws upon unlocking the vehicle. On my E70 35d, I’ve got a 50 amp DC-DC converter for charging an auxiliary 100 AH LiFePO4 battery for off-grid camping. Never any issues

Last edited:
I have an Alfa romeo Stelvio. Alfa suffers the same, and the Factory battery is just an EFB 95ah (H8 size, typical).

i used a clamp, my car goes to 22AMP on the unlock/lock and falls after a bit as said(on the other topic ) to 10amp. Crazy!
I even put my second phone and recorded a 10hour video with the amp clamp on the negative, to get info on car's consumption! (I fed the phone by my 220v powerbank).
Learned a LOT.

when you touch the car handles, even with keyless off, you can trigger a 10amp load. so many electronics these days.

I am Greek, living in Netherlands and Germany for 12+ years. my English is GreekDutchGerman style, with a bit of Irish/Boston influence over the past decade

Yup, same type of behavior in BMWs, as well as Mercedes. Touching door handle wakes up car & unlocks it, also turns on most of the switched 12 volt sources too.

Since you know your battery is starting to fail, I’d replace it w/ an H8 90 - 95AH AGM & not worry about the additional 10 amps of short term current draw from the dashcam battery bank. The 22 amps when your car wakes up isn’t surprising, my diesel BMWs draw around 70 amps upon wake-up if it’s cold outside due to the glow plugs. Touching the door handle will cause this to occur. Again, I’ve had zero issues w/ the 10 amps of additional current my dashcam batteries draw. The starting battery is more than capable of supplying high current draw for a short duration, as that’s what it’s designed to do.

I am happy I found a battery on it's way out before the big trip/vacation

Back