battery life

taffer87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the warranty on the battery?

Got this dash camera in July 2022 but it seems like battery is not charging anymore and only runs when plugged into a pc or car - and charge doesn't even stay for 1 minute

surely this is unacceptable for a high price top of the range dash cam?

Mine seemed to be the same a while ago but when I followed the instructions given on here by Millie from Nextbase support it appeared that the battery was OK.

This is the procedure I followed and once done, the battery lasted just over a quarter of an hour:-

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

Please let me know how long the battery lasts during the above test.

I will mention that the blue LED charging light went off after a few mins. but I kept it plugged into the power supply for about two hours just to make sure.

Hello,

I am sorry to see that you believe there may be an issue with your battery.

I would recommend carrying out the battery test that Shaky has kindly posted above.

You are welcome to contact our support team, via e-mail or phone to discuss the battery test result.

I have the same issue with my 522 now, no matter how long i charge the battery it does not hold any charge, as soon as i unplug the screen goes blank. Its only a year old so im going to replace the battery and sell it on

Hello Skylar,

We are able to assist with replacing the battery in your device.

The replacement process is relatively straight-forward, but does require a small amount of soldering to carry out. If you feel comfortable soldering a new battery into the Dash Cam yourself, you can contact our support team to arrange the purchase of a battery.

If you don't feel comfortable soldering a new battery into the Dash Cam, we can book your device into our repair centre where it can be replaced.

Our support team can be reached on support@nextbase.co.uk

Please note that this offer is exclusive to customers within Mainland UK.

I hope this helps.

Mine seemed to be the same a while ago but when I followed the instructions given on here by Millie from Nextbase support it appeared that the battery was OK.

This is the procedure I followed and once done, the battery lasted just over a quarter of an hour:-

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

Please let me know how long the battery lasts during the above test.

I will mention that the blue LED charging light went off after a few mins. but I kept it plugged into the power supply for about two hours just to make sure.
just to check when doing step 7 - should not insert SD card so the battery test will be without the camera actually recording and just as power on?

how was your issue resolved then if it was not the battery?
seems like the issue is that when the car gets shut off - the camera cuts power and turns off quickly in a few seconds and perhaps doesn't save the last file at certain times as it shuts power off too soon rather than relying on battery to actually save the file (even if battery is full)?

Last edited:
Hello,

I am sorry to see that you believe there may be an issue with your battery.

I would recommend carrying out the battery test that Shaky has kindly posted above.

You are welcome to contact our support team, via e-mail or phone to discuss the battery test result.
thanks.. seems like the issue is that when the car gets turned off - the camera cuts power and turns off too quickly in a few seconds and doesn't save the last recording at certain times as it shuts power off too soon rather than relying on the internal battery to actually save the file (even if the battery is full)? this kind of not saving the last recording can be really disastrous for e.g. if it doesn't save the clip with an accident because the car power shut off? Any views on this issue?

Back