Being a considerate driver

Yes it is........you have to give way to vehicles on your right, in the US it is vehicles on your left.
That isn't the case in Colorado. Per our driver handbook, "To be courteous to vehicles entering the freeway, you should change to the left (or center) lane, if you can do so safely and without slowing the traffic flow." -page 21

Lane changes are much of the same phrasing, not defining who has the "Blessed" right of way, but instead saying to ensure it is safe to make the change/turn/merge/whatever before you commit, and to signal your intent regardless.

Personally, I don't think a turn signal gives right of way, nor do I have any problem slowing down to allow others to merge in front of me or to make that suddenly remembered right turn.

That isn't the case in Colorado. Per our driver handbook, "To be courteous to vehicles entering the freeway, you should change to the left (or center) lane, if you can do so safely and without slowing the traffic flow." -page 21

Lane changes are much of the same phrasing, not defining who has the "Blessed" right of way, but instead saying to ensure it is safe to make the change/turn/merge/whatever before you commit, and to signal your intent regardless.

Personally, I don't think a turn signal gives right of way, nor do I have any problem slowing down to allow others to merge in front of me or to make that suddenly remembered right turn.

Yes, signalling doesn't give right of the way. It's driver's responsibility to check if the lanes are free and change.
I really despise drivers who just signal and cut off in front slowing me down.
Why the f can't they slow down and change lane behind me instead of me slowing down for them?
It's them who needs to change lane, not me. When I change lane, I always try not to slow down other vehicles.

Being courteous is one thing and law is another.
If there is an accident when entering highway, fault is always on the merging driver as highway traffic has right of way and merging vehicles should yield.

Back