Best 4K 2 Channel Dashcam - Viofo, BlackVue or Thinkware?

MrJaiVL

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello everyone!

I’m looking for a 4K dual channel dashcam (preferably from the brands I mentioned in the title) that I can use for long drives around the country!

I’ve been looking at sample footages from some of the 4K 2 channel dash cams from these brands on YouTube and I tend to lean towards Viofo such as the A229 Pro and A139 Pro due to very good 4K video quality and being around half the price! I’ve also explored the Blackvue DR970X-2CH & Thinkware U3000 and while they do have good video quality, they are more expensive compared to Viofo!

Let me know what is the best one to choose from!

Gday Mr JaiVL, and welcome to the forum.

I think it is generally agreed upon that for Image quality the Viofo ( A 229 pro ) beat the 2 others. ( i have not sampled any of these models myself )
The two other brands then have their bells and whistles going for them, Viofo are yet to go there and no telling how they will execute on that

I have yet to try my first smart / cloud enabled camera, but i dont think it is something i need, at least for 10 years now i have been perfectly fine with the " dumb " cameras.

Yes, for now, general agreement is on the Viofo A229 Pro:

Welcome to the club.
If cloud connectivity is your priority research the BlackVue DR970X Plus.
If low power parking mode is your priority research the Thinkware U3000.
If image quality is your priority research the Viofo A229 Pro.
If you want image quality, and low power parking mode research the Vueroid D21 4K;
The reason the night time image quality is unacceptable on the BlackVue & Thinkware is they do not have HDR.
The Viofo A229 Pro & Vueroid D21 4K have HDR.
In 2024 STARVIS 2 + HDR are minimum requirements for image quality.
STARVIS 2 without HDR will almost be useless at night time.
I only recommend the A139 Pro in 1-CH configuration.
I recommend the A229 Pro in 3-CH configuration, (2-CH for normal driving mode / 3-CH for parking mode).
Hopefully we get a new “automatic” firmware setting to switch between 2-CH & 3-CH configuration without having to manual unplug the IR Interior camera, (I bet we will).
If you don’t want the IR Interior camera looking you in the face, you can install it on the rear window looking forward.
It will capture out the side windows, whereas the front & rear cannot.

Here’s a comparison of the;
BlackVue DR970X Plus
Thinkware U3000
Viofo A229 Pro
Vueroid D21 4K

Here’s my review of the Viofo A229 Pro & A139 Pro;

Here’s what is looks like when you mount the IR Interior camera on the rear window.
Take note of how much information is captured out the side windows.
It can even capture license plates sometimes;

Here’s my testing thread on the Thinkware U3000;

Here’s my testing thread on the BlackVue DR970X;
-Chuck

Back