Best Dashcam $100-$150 range?

Tokai said:
so now there is another new member vf300W, for god's sake just how many 300W-like model on the market??

There is nothing wrong if more look a like dash cams released. Its called competition. Most important is reliability vs price.

if a solution works and proof be reliability of course will aper competitors
in case AR0330 + NT96650 becoming popular and them a lot solutions using cake ingredients.
witch ones will be good was ls300w and gt300w is the question. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Finally shipped from Singapore... Hope it arrives soon.

Is there any camera in this price range that can compete with the Livue LB100?
I've been looking for a very reliable camera with good reliability and I'm trying to figuire out if theres anything better then the Livue Lb100. I don't need any fancy features like gps or wifi just good image quality and reliability as summer days here are 30+ degrees celcius.

sshazam said:
Is there any camera in this price range that can compete with the Livue LB100?
I've been looking for a very reliable camera with good reliability and I'm trying to figuire out if theres anything better then the Livue Lb100. I don't need any fancy features like gps or wifi just good image quality and reliability as summer days here are 30+ degrees celcius.

Within 100-120 usd price range TioTech / ( DOD ) / Shadow-Tec dash cameras are OK to resist high summer temperature and to have a good video quality at day and night.
LS300W, GT300W, GT350W, GT450W.

Whats the advantage of choosing these cameras over the Livue lb100? i'm just trying to find the best camera.
Once I factor in shipping and having to buy a memory card ( comes with the live) they all work out to be the same sort of price.

I guess the screen would come in handy when trying to set the camera up but how are the DOD cameras for reliability ? are they Mac friendly as well?

sshazam said:
Whats the advantage of choosing these cameras over the Livue lb100? i'm just trying to find the best camera.
Once I factor in shipping and having to buy a memory card ( comes with the live) they all work out to be the same sort of price.

I guess the screen would come in handy when trying to set the camera up but how are the DOD cameras for reliability ? are they Mac friendly as well?

TioTech series dash cams based on NT96650 CPU with Aptina AR0330 advantages over LB100:

-better at night,
-better bit-rate ( 15Mbps ),
-FullHD 1080p,
-Screen

Myself personally never worked with Mac, so can not comment on your last question.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit I would recommend you to go with Powerucc Panorama2 ( cost approx 180usd ). This is the best dash cam and very hard to find competitors even within price range up to 250usd taking into consideration reliability, video quality, functions, options.

niko said:
runtohell121 said:
Can a dash cam be powered by a USB Charger? Such as.. http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-2-4A- ... B00B8M4IMK using a USB Cable instead of using the car adapter it came with?

Yes, it can, but you have to be careful choosing the right charger with correct Voltage that will match your dash cam voltage.
That doesn't sound right. A USB adapter will always provide 5vdc, no selection should be necessary for voltage..

Yes, it can, but you have to be careful choosing the right charger with correct Voltage that will match your dash cam voltage.[/quote]That doesn't sound right. A USB adapter will always provide 5vdc, no selection should be necessary for voltage..[/quote]

You are right and wrong.
If dash camera uses 5v then standard car usb cigarette lighter adaptor will work fine, but if dash cam works on 12v then it will not work. Thats what I ment. Maybe couldnt explain correctly on the first place.

Hmm.. I hope USB Adapter will work fine then.. It does say 5V input on FoxOffer spec.

runtohell121 said:
Hmm.. I hope USB Adapter will work fine then.. It does say 5V input on FoxOffer spec.

Majority of dash cams work on 5V. Few so called new generation dash cams works on 12-24v. I think soon more and more dash cams will be working on 12-24V.

Right now I'm technically thinking how am I getting power to the dash cam. I really don't like wires hanging around.. but I don't want to route the wire through the A pillar and fuse box etc. Too much work and not sure of my skills, especially on a new car, I don't want to mess up anything.

runtohell121 said:

Of course it will work as what you bought is a 5V camera that only requires 1A. The charger is capable of over 1A per port so it will be fine.
I never used my original charger that came with the cam, just a standard USB cable and something similar as a 5V adapter.
Korean cameras are mainly 12V, which would require a different solution like attaching to the fuse box (which is much easier than you think btw) If you want a clean install, you will have to route the wire down the A Pillar and under/in the glovebox and either attach it there using an add a circuit or into a 12V outlet in the dash using your adapter.

runtohell121 said:
Right now I'm technically thinking how am I getting power to the dash cam. I really don't like wires hanging around.. but I don't want to route the wire through the A pillar and fuse box etc. Too much work and not sure of my skills, especially on a new car, I don't want to mess up anything.

If you dont want to route cables, - other solution is take power from reading light, but this is in many cases even more complicated, especially if not familiar with car plastics dis-assembly and other electrical wires / cables / soldering.
Easiest way is to run dash camera power cable through A pillar to the fuse box, actually it is not as hard as you think. THen, if you do not want to cut original dash camera cigarette charger plug, just buy external cigarette charger female socket plug and connect to the fuse in the fuse box ACC fuse:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 87804.html

Buy simple 2-3 usd 12v tester,
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 55264.html

find which fuse is ACC, or most cars have free fuse sockets ( without fuse ) which have ACC ignition power running into it, use that socket with ready made fuse tap-in bigger or smaller size depending on where you connecting it to:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A-Ci ... 99897.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15A-Mini ... 34670.html

Thats not a rocket science.

Or pay some small money for any car electrician can do it for max 10-15min full installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
runtohell121 said:

If you dont want to route cables, - other solution is take power from reading light, but this is in many cases even more complicated, especially if not familiar with car plastics dis-assembly and other electrical wires / cables / soldering.
Easiest way is to run dash camera power cable through A pillar to the fuse box, actually it is not as hard as you think. THen, if you do not want to cut original dash camera cigarette charger plug, just buy external cigarette charger female socket plug and connect to the fuse in the fuse box ACC fuse:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 87804.html

Buy simple 2-3 usd 12v tester,
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 55264.html

find which fuse is ACC, or most cars have free fuse sockets ( without fuse ) which have ACC ignition power running into it, use that socket with ready made fuse tap-in bigger or smaller size depending on where you connecting it to:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A-Ci ... 99897.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15A-Mini ... 34670.html

Thats not a rocket science.

Or pay some small money for any car electrician can do it for max 10-15min full installation.

Might consider paying.. but there is DIY instructions already posted on another forum specific for the car I have on how to hardwire something into the fuse box. I might consider doing it myself, just that if in the future, I upgrade to a newer/better dash cam, I would want the existing wiring be functional to the new one. So if I do it, I would probably want a high quality cable and hoping most if not all the dash cam uses the same adapter (Mini USB(?))..

Last edited by a moderator:
5V USB 'Mini B' connected cameras will somewhat limit you to cameras from China and Taiwan. Generally speaking, $200+ Korean cams (if you want to upgrade as you say) are usually 12V therefore non USB.

Man.. the dashcam been stuck at ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) since Aug. 7, 2013

runtohell121 said:
Man.. the dashcam been stuck at ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) since Aug. 7, 2013

possible dangerous artifact :lol:

Back