Best night cam with motion detection

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dashcam to use for surveillance. Needs to have very reliable motion detection (preferably with buffer) and work well at night. Also needs to have a built in screen for video review. I don't care about any other features like GPS, G-sensor, etc. It can have those features or not. Also should be able to power it from a USB battery, but I think all of them do that. All-night built in battery would be a icing on the cake but I can live without that, especially if it adds to the cost.

What do you all recommend?

What is your budget ?

I would like to spend as little as possible for this. I think in the big scheme of things I'm not looking for anything too fancy and you can get a pretty good dashcam for $100 so below that.

Pretty good is pretty good. There are tons of affordable cameras out there that do a very respectable job. But maybe you don't sell any of those...

If you are looking for a residential surveillance camera as opposed to an automotive dash cam you will be far better off with an actual dedicated surveillance camera. A dash cam would not be suitable for full time surveillance as it would not perform as well nor will it last very long when used in that manner.

Also, a true surveillance camera is designed for night time use with built in IR illumination and an automatic IR-cut filter.

Motion detection in dash cams doesn't really work very well as it is prone to false triggers from unwanted events, people or even trees blowing in the wind. Dash cam motion detection can also easily miss key events. At night dash cam motion detection is especially poor and is only really suitable in a static environment such as a well lit underground parking garage where for the most part, the only motion will be the event you wish to capture.

It is best to monitor a vehicle at night from an external surveillance camera rather than a battery powered inexpensive dash cam inside a vehicle.

Last edited:
At night dash cam motion detection is especially poor and is only really suitable in a static environment such as a well lit underground parking garage where for the most part, the only motion will be the event you wish to capture.
I'm aware of the limitations, but this is exactly the situation I am getting the dashcam for and it is one that is well suited for a dashcam. It is also the only option I have since I can't install my own external camera in an underground garage.

I know motion detection isn't usually a priority among people who use dashcams but I'm hoping to get recommendations from anyone who has had a good experience using a dashcam for motion detection. Or "parking mode" as it is usually referred to on dashcams.

That being said, I'm open to non-dashcam suggestions as well as long as they record to an internal memory card, can be powered from inside my car via USB and aren't dependent on having Internet access.

The Papago GS 110 does OK with motion detection, and at night. The price has been as low as the $50+ range a few times. While only 720p, the video is pretty decent, and motion detection worked pretty well.
In a somewhat lit parking garage, maybe sticking it in the back of your car, facing forward, would pick up enough.

... this is exactly the situation I am getting the dashcam for and it is one that is well suited for a dashcam. It is also the only option I have since I can't install my own external camera in an underground garage.

Motion Detection in sub-$100 DashCams is generally poor, & best left off, & the cam operated in loop-recording mode instead.

An honourable exception to the rule is the BlackSys CF-100, currently available for only $80 ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LBQGKX8
Review ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...p-sony-exmor-cmos-720p-gps-24-7-parking.7441/

Back