Best night time recording camera (Rear window) and best front during day?

Daniel Tate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what is the best dashcam that doesn't have a major fit when being shone brightly with peoples dipped headlights? That's my main concern as I want a dashcam for my rear window and hopefully the cam filters out the shone lights?

Also what are peoples recommendations on the best overall single dashcam for general video recording in both day/night and has the ability to basicly remove the shine from lights in the dark?

Iv'e had a G1W-C for a long time and it's been brilliant but I want a dashcam for the rear now and upgrade the G1W-C.

Dashcams will be HARD WIRED.

I tend to look at the rating given on dashcamtalks main page which often state so and so camera day-very good/night-average ...... etc, thanks.

Size is not important, GPS, parking assist, all that stuff not required. Simply best footage. And the best camera at night with lights.

I guess i'm best off getting a Ausdom A261 (but still not good enough at night).

Last edited:
That comparison page is pretty spot on I'd say, so really it just comes down to form factor/features you'd like and of course how much you want to spend.

That comparison page is pretty spot on I'd say, so really it just comes down to form factor/features you'd like and of course how much you want to spend.
Yeah, don't really see any reviews where they use the dashcam in the rear window, just a night time front facing footage. That's the problem. It makes it difficult in finding a dashcam that copes well in the dark and can filter out the headlights shining etc.....?

At daytime there are many mid-class dashcam which may almost compete with high-end daschams. All comes to Night video, device built quality, accessories, how good and stable ( read mature ) is firmware, before- during- and aftersales service and warranty period/ process.

What is your budget ?

I think that will depend on the angle at which you put it. A more straight on install will create more glare. If you search for rear camera install there have been a few good threads, I've looked at them myself while trying to decide on a camera. Something to consider is no one camera will remove all glare and there will be many factors including the headlights, how dirty your back window is...I feel the rear camera is less important and probably would go with another inexpensive one like a c2 Mobius. What kind of car is it going in?

My old G1W-C records decent quality footage during the day, but it's hopeless at night even front facing as we know. So I could easily keep it for the time being and put most my money into a rear cam only that is the best at night, any ideas? thanks

I don't really have a budget, i'm open to paying a high premium for something, better than buying cheap buy twice or worse. Lol.

I think that will depend on the angle at which you put it. A more straight on install will create more glare. If you search for rear camera install there have been a few good threads, I've looked at them myself while trying to decide on a camera. Something to consider is no one camera will remove all glare and there will be many factors including the headlights, how dirty your back window is...I feel the rear camera is less important and probably would go with another inexpensive one like a c2 Mobius. What kind of car is it going in?
Makes sense yeah, going on a modified Leon Cupra R MK1.

Hatchback style makes it easier; install high and point low. For the rear, personally, I'd stick with something discreet, A118, Mini, Mobius, SG. I'd just feel...werid about putting a SG in my back window, but that's just because I'd rather have it up front. :)

Hatchback style makes it easier; install high and point low. For the rear, personally, I'd stick with something discreet, A118, Mini, Mobius, SG. I'd just feel...werid about putting a SG in my back window, but that's just because I'd rather have it up front. :)
yeah good point, I was thinking maybe the Mini 0826 but getting it from China or wherever I might get a out of focus one. The Mobius doesn't have a screen which I'd prefer to have, The A118 is orite but has a worse rating of night footage than the others. Hmmmmmmmmm. I guess it's the SG9665GC your on about? Is that classed as the best cam for quality of footage then for both day/night?

Lol, in regards to the SG9665GC, what mid range price cam would be the next best day light recording cam? (I shall steer clear from Mini, too much of a lottery), Can then put that into the wifes motor instead of her using her phone at times lol.

I'd still say a Mobius for mid-range. I thought I wanted a screen also, but instead bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00R0ZAMTM
Download MX Player and you're watching videos on your smartphone.

Many cams do quite well in daylight so it becomes a matter of form factor preference and reliability. I have 2 A118-C's in my wife's car (front and rear) and really don't have any complaints about day time performance. Night time it's about the same as the G1Wxxx cameras.

Back