best onboard cam for taxi

I would like to see and shake hand to the guy who came up with this idea on the first place to install fairly visible to outside camera and call it "hidden?". I understand if it would be pin-hole type, but lens size there is far too big not to be seen. Different cultures, - different understanding. I am personally dont understand them in some design features they use on dashcameras.
In the same way as some still expect us to stick a huge lump of plastic to our windscreens. In some cases, these are brightly coloured OR have loads of LEDs to alert the world to their presence!

As promised i tried to stick my C1 in between the sun visor and the headliner, i dident get the angle quite right as it can be seen, but i think there is a chance to film every one in the car.

I allso tried at night but that footage was "useless" as the Little light behind my mirror dont light up the rear seat, but my ugly face behind the steeringwheel was lit up good enuff to see my facial features.

What are the objects dangling in the top front corner of both rear doors?
If these are alarm sensors, maybe you could relocate them & find some that you can cannibalise to house a mobius lens on an extension lead?

Dude, use your seatbelt...

No those are the side cameras from my old 4 camera setup, i still havent gotten around to remove them.
Its a good location for side cameras, not many ppl have been in and out in the rear since i installed those cameras at the start of summer, but so far they have not been knocked around.

I dont wear seatbelt for a 1/2 mile ride to the baker, otherwise i do use it ( after not using it for 25 years )

I dont know if it is me ? this camera dont seem to focus as good as the other one, at least not on things +2M from the lens, i am debating with my alter ego if i should attempt a refocus since i think it can be done without taking the camera completely apart.

i am debating with my alter ego if i should attempt a refocus since i think it can be done without taking the camera completely apart.

The Techmoan review suggests that the C1 is near impossible to put back together if you dismantle it.

Are you using the supplied dashcam power cable? I believe it's only 2 metres long, which is surely too short to run behind the headlining, down the A pillar & behind the dash trim to the lighter socket, even in a small Suzuki?

I know, took the first one i had apart to see if i could repair the broken "USB" socket, but i think its possible to ajust focus with only the end cap removed, but i will proberly have to dive into my stash of pliers to get a grip on the base part of the lens assembly.
When i have been testing in the car i have just used battery and in case of C1 as rear cam i used the supplied charge cable with a 4 M USB extension, offcourse this mean the cam dont start to record by it self, but for playing around tests i was okay with pressing the button manually.

On the footage above the USB extension can me seen in the back window, soon a mobius will be there as a permanent solution.

Today i will put my C1 in the front window to compare the focus of it to my lukas.

hi everyone

i searched but i didnt find nothing good for my use, maybe you can have better ideas and tell me if my ideas is good or not.

camera will be used for taxi, pointing inside for security purpose, so need good night vision, wideangle, hard wired, and not easy to stole the memory card, also low budget....

i know i ask for a lot....

i think my best option so far for camera is

-dvr-207
-c600
-g1w
-hidden mobius?

they are cheap, night vision, video quality ok i think, with infrared. ( i never test them pointing inside car yet)

but im not 100% i can hardwired them easily, but i think so.
i will also have to install a sd card extension to hide the memory card on roof or dash...im not sure about this too...extender can be broken easily with vibration? hard to fit. etc

maybe i can find a better option?

i see somes cam with dvr apart hidden but around 200$ like the link below... seam good for the price

i see some wifi, so data is safe, but i dont even understand how its working...

this one have 4 camera with lots of IR and 600tvl, looks good i think, anyone even tested thoses?

thanks
Look at the Lorex LNC216 Wireless HD which has two cameras, one for daylight and one for night time.
Also look at the FLIR FX which is very small, has no screen and can take up to a 128GB microSD card. It doesn't really even look like a camera.

Last edited:
Keen DIYers can remove the IR filter from the Mobius lens module. Add some IR LEDs & you've got a night vision dashcam.

How to... http://www.evobeach.com/2013/09/mobius-actioncam-as-near-infrared-camera.html

User thread here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2099906

Hmmm ... aside from taxi interior use, add some IR lighting to the front bumper / grille area, & a defiltered Mobius becomes a night-time partner to a second Mobius, which handles the daylight duties. Hope I'm giving @niko an idea... bet he thought of this ages ago!

Last edited:
Aaaa i was of the undestanding the IR cut was in the lens, but when it is just a Little pice of glass between the CMOS and the lens its no problem as the link describe.

I have been thinking of adding IR to the front of my car and then have a cam that can use it to see further in darkness, but my plans Beach on getting the footage from the camera onto my windscreen in front of me. ( same system as some high end cars have )

I think i will start with making my own NVG once i get back into work and mony again.

Given the high risks of driving taxis and unknown characters, you'll probably need alot more than a dashcam for a taxi.
A big perspex covering the driver side and some sort of weapon for self defense lol.

Back